VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the long run I'm mostly looking to play old adventure games from the early 90s on. I remember playing Space Quest, Police Quest and such on my parents 10 MHz Peacock XT but later titles such as Space Quest III ran quite slowly. I recently tried Ultima VII on a Pentium 120 and it was way too fast. I now have a 486DX4, 486DX2 and a 386SX-25 systems. Is there ONE system I can use for all the games?

Reason for editing: corrected the topic title

Last edited by Half-Saint on 2013-08-22, 13:31. Edited 1 time in total.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTfxXa6XSeA&li … _eeUW74SzgbVqyX

Information overkill but it's all there 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished watching the first video and at the start of Part 1 it occured to me that you're probably Australian. Came back here to check and lo and behold! You are! 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Just finished watching the first video and at the start of Part 1 it occured to me that you're probably Australian. Came back here to check and lo and behold! You are! 😁

Well, some part of him is from another country, but after a guessing game here on Vogons earlier no one got it correctly so we don't know 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

Hehe 😀

Yea I live in Western Australia in a country town pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Well not nowhere we do have a post office, schools, one supermarket and other things. But most importantly I have decent broadband.

Across the road is another guy into retro computers. He is much more of a hoarder and must have 30+ desktops and tons of HDDs and other gear. I have focus on the 386-Pentium DOS era and especially all the Roland gear.

To come back to your first question I would recommend a Socket 7 machine. But my videos explain all the why and what exactly you need. They are a bit boring at times but I simply do not have the time to cut, edit and polish them like others do. They are very raw 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 11, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have friends in Melbourne and Adelaide 😀

What kind of bothers me in your videos is excessive camera movement and bad lighting. Have you considered getting a tripod? 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 11, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I only got about two useful replies I edited the title and I'm adding some info here. I dislike the Socket 7 platform because it's missing a turbo button and you have to mess with BIOS settings to slow it down. On the other hand, I have a lot of different socket 7 motherboards to choose from so I guess that would be the easiest way.

ASUS SP97-XV: ATX, no AGP, 4x SIMM, 2x DIMM, no FSB 100MHz, boots from CF
PROBLEM: doesn't boot from floppy (?)

MSI MS5172: ATX, AGP, 3x DIMM, has FSB 100MHz support
PROBLEM: stuck at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data....'

ASUS P5A-B: AT, AGP, 3x DIMM, has FSB 100MHz support, probably the fastest board I own
PROBLEM: it's not ATX 😀

I'll be adding a few more motherboards tomorrow when I have time to look at the boards.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 11, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also do not like the socket 7 answer as the most versatile system for older games but Mau1wurf1977 is right. For me personally I find the socket 7 platform not as interesting as socket 3.

if you go with the original platforms you will need too many machines to cover your games.
A 486DX2-66 is a classic machine that will cover a large section of gaming history.

it will certainly cover your early 90's adventure games.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 10 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like Mau1wurf1977 I also believe that a ss7 is a great platform to build a DOS/win9x machine... sure 4-5 vga and ancient CGA/EGA games will require tinkering (and tbh cga/ega stuff need a special build for them to get the max out of them) but 95% of everything else will run great and with nice framerates where applicable. L1 cache can be turned ON/OFF via command line and it can bring a p200mmx to 486 speed levels.
I have messed with 386DX/486DX+ mobos and I have found many incompatibilities and weirdness, once you really start using the machine everyday you discover them - from games not running because of BIOS memory remap settings to not being able to create/use UMBs... The only exception that I found was the late 486 mobos that had PCI slots, these are great IMHO.
Being using a HOT-591P based build for several years now, couldn't be more satisfied and trouble-free (at least compared to the stuff I tried...)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website