VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the subject says, my MSI MS5172 board gets stuck at Verifying DMI pool data...

This is just a barebones setup, no case, just the motherboard, CPU (IBM 6x86 PR166MX), 32MB SDRAM, ATI 9200 AGP gfx card. No hard drive, no CDROM, no floppy. BIOS was reset to factory defaults and I put in a brand new battery.

I tried with three different cards, two AGP and one PCI - result was the same.

Any ideas?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried booting from a CF card using a CF-IDE adapter but the same thing happens. The card is correctly detected in BIOS. Also tried booting from a floppy with no success.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe something is dying / has died on the motherboard. Have you tried to disable everything onboard?

I remember an integrated sound board chip that gave me some troubles, but I don't know if your motherboard has one of those. Also, USB support was "experimental" at those times, so I'd disconnect any USB devices.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 8, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since the onboard devices are not working, try something ''external''

I see you have ISA and PCI besides AGP on the board. Try out those slots using VGA cards - that gives you the first impression that the local buses at least work. If any of those slots won't work, I think you'll lose more time fiddling with it than acquiring a new one. If the VGAs would work, then I suggest to test ISA / PCI based IDE and SCSI, or the newer SATA interface (only on PCI).

Also check whether you configured possible jumpers for the FSB, voltage or the CPU type correctly. If yes, then try a different CPU. Hope it's gonna fix you up, because this might even be a faulty mobo.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 6 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I even tried swapping BIOS chips with BIOS from an ASUS SP-97XV. Both boards have SiS chipsets and are Socket 7 so I thought it might work. After the transplant, the MSI board wouldn't boot and just gave me a bunch of beeps.

Anyway, I tested the board with PCI, ISA and AGP cards with the same outcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any separate controllers to test it with. The only one I have is VLB and it wouldn't work with this board...

Tried three different CPUs with same result.

Maybe the caps are bad although I don't see any bulging or leakage.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try a PCI storage controller card. Also try disabling the onboard IDE and FDD ports.

I had this issue with a Silicon Image PCI controller card. Would also stick at this point. A promise card continued to boot just fine 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel