VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-Channel-NM-PE6SC- … =item20d4440d14

"Add 5.1-channel audio to your PC with this NM-PE6SC 5.1-Channel PCI Express (PCIe) Sound Card!

The NM-PE6SC is a PCI Express sound card that features the C-Media CMI8738-LX sound chip and provides 5.1-channel audio output, perfect for surround sound in movies or games. It supports Microsoft DirectSound and Aureal A3D for compatibility with a wide range of applications."

Can this possibly be true?

Reply 1 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For what it is worth: CMI8738 without the LX suffix is far from new. I have a PCI card with this chip dated week 32 2002.
Funny to see a similar thing on PCI-express.
Looking further I think it is still the same CMI8738 with an additional PCI-Express bridging chip.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

For what it is worth: CMI8738 without the LX suffix is far from new. I have a PCI card with this chip dated week 32 2002.
Funny to see a similar thing on PCI-express.
Looking further I think it is still the same CMI8738 with an additional PCI-Express bridging chip.

It may use old tech, but is being sold as a new item. There are still ATi Rage cards being sold as new and they aren't NOS, either.

Reply 3 of 5, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's probably just A3D 1.0 capability, just like everything not Creative-based claims to support EAX when it's really just EAX 2.0 at most.

Until someone proves that you get A3D 2.0/3.0 wavetracing of the sort only achieved through an AU8830 Vortex2-based card, it's best to take it with a grain of salt and assume it's just A3D 1.0, no wavetracing.

Reply 4 of 5, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this thread after searching for that CM 8738 chipset when I saw this card for sale at a local retailer and i noticed it said it had a3d support. Any updated experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mad-Dog-Prowler-4-1-4 … w-/191901952544