VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm the seemingly unfortunate owner of a VLB/PCI 486 motherboard that has completly and utterly fake L2 cache. even has the big "write back" chips that do nothing but look pretty. I was pretty upset at first that this was the case as its acually a nice motherboard and I havnt had any issues with it and dispite the missing L2 cache its acually been stable and speedy for me. So what i'm asking is, is it really that horrible if a board is missing the L2 cache. besides the obvious point of the deception and dishonesty does the non cache make it a terrible board to use?

my board has a pretty nice graphical BIOS, VLB, PCI and ISA slots. I'm running 64MB of EDO RAM, an AMD 133mhz 5x86 CPU and a PCI Ark Logic video card with 2mb of RAM and the machine performs very well.

Reply 1 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, they are not. It's about a 5-10% performance loss with both the AMD X5 5x86 and the Pentium Overdrive (probably the same on slower CPU's)

See this thread/post. Compare my fake L2 cache board with Feipoa's Ultimate 486 benchmark results.
Help me decide Pentium Overdrive 83@100mhz vs Pentium 90

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 25, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it look anything like my 486 vlb board mentioned here.

recently obtained 486 goodness - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS 486DX2-80 and INTEL 486DX2-66

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

No, they are not. It's about a 5-10% performance loss with both the AMD X5 5x86 and the Pentium Overdrive (probably the same on slower CPU's)

See this thread/post. Compare my fake L2 cache board with Feipoa's Ultimate 486 benchmark results.

thats good, so dispite the missing L2 cache its still faster overall then say a standard 486 of the era with a 66mhz dx2

would you say if I managed to OC the 5x86 that would negate the performance hit from the missing cache?

rgart wrote:

Does it look anything like my 486 vlb board mentioned here.

recently obtained 486 goodness - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS 486DX2-80 and INTEL 486DX2-66

not at all.

Reply 4 of 25, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Wouch, I feel like the P90 gives at least 50% more frames per second.
The POD feels sooo not smooth next to it 😖

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 5 of 25, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your losing a good 5-10% in speed.

I don't think I could run a board with fake cache - it would disrupt my sleep 😜

Why did these companies like PCCHIPS go to such a degree to deceive about L2 Cache.

WRITE BACK CACHE stickers.

Soldered cache chips with part numbers.

Traces on the motherboard from the cache

Was cache so expensive back in the day?

How can they get away with such a deception?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 6 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the Cache is high speed SRAM and was one of the most expensive parts of the mainboards.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:

thats good, so dispite the missing L2 cache its still faster overall then say a standard 486 of the era with a 66mhz dx2

would you say if I managed to OC the 5x86 that would negate the performance hit from the missing cache?

You get increased performance (as can be seen with the 180mhz results in the far right of the benchmarks tests), but you are still 5-10% below what you would get on a system with real L2 cache. With the AMD 5x86 running at 160mhz, which is a normal overclock of this CPU, you get the following results:

AMD X5 133@160mhz L1 WB, NO L2
Speedsys: Same as comparison
PCPbench: 7.1 (7.7 in 486 comparison)
Quake 320x200 no sound: 16.4 FPS (17.3 in 486 comparison)

Wouch, I feel like the P90 gives at least 50% more frames per second.
The POD feels sooo not smooth next to it 😖

The benchmark shown in my thread are with the POD overclocked to 100mhz. The POD is actually quite good, especially compared to the early Socket 5 chipsets with the Pentium. With the newer Socket 7 chipsets (VX, HX, TX) it's another ballgame. Just goes to show that a Pentium 90 is not just a Pentium 90 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't lose sleep over it but if it bothers you that much you could look into desoldering the plugs (fake cache) and then solder new sockets. 15ns is good enough for most but cache chips in general are getting a little hard to find.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 25, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of fake cache, I got for 1€ this board:

IMG_20130909_025429.jpg
The cache chips are not as long as the holes on the motherboard, are soldered directly on the mobo, have that "WRITE BACK" damned label, BUT the traces do not seem fake!

ATm2.jpg

I have spare hardware except for the CPU. Do you think it's worth trying to build a 486 PC on this? 😀

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 13 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah, just did some looking now that I figured out the possible model of the board and the the cache is fake....but if I can find a apperently rare cache stick for the COAST slot there i'll have cache? thats good...I think?

Reply 14 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

ah, just did some looking now that I figured out the possible model of the board and the the cache is fake....but if I can find a apperently rare cache stick for the COAST slot there i'll have cache? thats good...I think?

Stay away from wiredforservice. His stuff is almost always way overpriced, even if it is rare. I bought a M919 motherboard with the 256k cache stick for a third of what he is asking for a cache stick alone. I don't think I'd pay more than 40 USD maximum for the cache stick and even then I'd have to pretty desperate to go that high. I have one M919 with the cache stick and one without and getting another cache stick isn't exactly a pressing priority. If another one comes along cheap, I'd grab it for sure, but I'm not actively hunting one down at the moment.

Reply 15 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, fake cache aside, is the M919 actually a decent board? As far as I can tell, it seems to be one of the most common PCI socket 3 boards out there. Also, how hard is it to obtain a cache stick for it?

Reply 16 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it looks to be a decent board, apples to apples or apples to oranges but at the end of the day the gains from adding the real cache are small potatoes. Just be happy that you got a socket 3 board with pci and just keep looking around for other boards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

So, fake cache aside, is the M919 actually a decent board? As far as I can tell, it seems to be one of the most common PCI socket 3 boards out there. Also, how hard is it to obtain a cache stick for it?

I havnt had any issues with it. I read some people had stability issues including EMS errors and system lockups but they may be with older revisions.

The cache stick seems to be semi rare but not unobtainable. theres an overpriced one on ebay right now for something like $150.

Reply 18 of 25, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Show me where on ebay.
I know a guy that has tons of coast modules maybe there are some of these in the pile.
But i do not know how to seperate those from p1 pipelined burst coast modules.

Reply 19 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

Show me where on ebay.
I know a guy that has tons of coast modules maybe there are some of these in the pile.
But i do not know how to seperate those from p1 pipelined burst coast modules.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Cache-Elpina-486 … =item1e745269a1

I beleive the sticks say right on the back "for 486 m919"