VOGONS

First post, by Magnuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love playing retro DOS games and I am currently compilling, "hopefully" the largest
colelction of DOS games for myself from various other sources.

I know there used to be a link for 3000 old dos games on a now defunt file server. I
procrestinated and missed the boat when the server shut down. I kick myself mentally
everytime I think about it.

I managed to acquire 2 Awe32 cards recently and noticed that in order to get wavetable
sound in DOS games without any windows emulators, I have the following options:

1.) Use the onboard 512K crappy built-in wavetable.
2.) Stick a DB like DB50XG (I also have that)
3.) Stick some rams in and load a SBK bank file to hopefully get richer sounds.

It seems finding SBKs for Awe32 is harder than option 1 or 2! But I managed to fine a few
on some back alley ftp servers after searching extensively.

To save time for fellow Vogon forumners, I have uploaded what SBKs I could find in the
Driver Library - under Sound Font section. So if you a fan of Awe32 like I was (partly
cause I live in the country where Creative was founded), I suggest you head over to
the section. You Awe32 card will need Simm rams though for uploading the banks in DOS.

Update : SBK soundfont file size of 2MB and 6MB to emulate Gravis US now available.

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Magnuz wrote:

I kick myself mentally everytime I think about it.

Why are you crying over spilled milk about warez here? There's probably only a 1% of that even supporting the Awe32 anyway (and that's not counting MT-32 or General MIDI).

There's fewer games that take advantage of the AWE than you think.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The onboard AWE32 set is located in ROM and has 1 Mb in size. 512 Kb of built-in RAM are used for additional samples uploading. For instance, few samples are uploaded there for MT-32 mode emulation.

Here I started a thread where I develop an utility to use SF2 soundfonts in DOS. Maybe you'll find it interesting and even participate in testing.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3 of 8, by Magnuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing i nvr knew is must the game be coded specifically to make use of Awe32 special emu capabilities or any game supporting soundblaster standard will automatically be "enhanced" via emu?

On the topic of sf2, i did nt know it can be loaded into dos banks. Always thought sf2 was for loading into banks in windows only and sbk for dos only. And they are not related.

Is there a way to make use of sf2 banks to run pure dos games like say dune2? Cause that will make the whole wavetable concept redundant. We can virtually use any soundcard in existence, much like how dosbox emulates Gravis ultrasound.

Reply 4 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) The game must explicitly support EMU8000. SB AWE32 consists basically of two parts: SB16 and EMU8000. So, for older games without AWE32 support only the SB16 part would work.

But, many games did not have any card-specific support code at all, using universal DOS audio driver libraries, like Miles Audio Interface Library (AIL). Creative Labs made a driver update for some older games using AIL 2.0 driver library, that would allow them to fully support AWE32.

2) SF2 in DOS is possible. I made an utility to do so. Besides, there is at least one game that uses SF2 for AWE32 in DOS: Eradicator.

erad.jpg

3) Theoretically, yes, if there existed a reliable protected and real-mode compatible utility that would emulate a MPU-401 port AND load a SF2 bank into AWE32 memory.

In practice, we have only AWEUTIL.COM, which emulates a MPU-401 port and loads a SBK bank into AWE32 memory. But SBK banks are very rare compared to SF2, and to the worst of it, AWEUTIL.COM is not compatible with DOS protected mode, which most games are using.

Maybe I will be able to create such an utility. I am not sure, since my programming skills are weak enough.

Reply 5 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for mentioned Dune 2, it supports neither MPU-401, nor AWE32. Luckily, it is using AIL 2 library. I have updated its SOUND.PAK file to substitute Roland MT-32 driver with an AWE32 one.

Make a backup copy of your SOUND.PAK file, and replace it by one I provide here. Then choose Roland MT-32 (LAPC-I) in game setup.

Attachments

• Filename
    SOUND.zip
    File size
    284.43 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dune2 supports the Sound Canvas, read MPU-401. but it takes a large amount of base mem to have SB+MPU simultaneously.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul