VOGONS

Reply 41 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dacow wrote:

Looking forward to watching this when I get time tonight 😀 Keep up the good work! 😀

Thank you!

It ended up a bit long winded but would have taken me much longer to produce had I tested it all first and then shot the footage. So my recommendations / thoughts at the end are a little bit different.

This board / CPU / system is much better at simulating a 486 than a 386. At the lowest setting it perfectly simulates a fast and tuned 386DX 40 MHz, which is often too fast for old, speed sensitive games.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 42 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been doing some testing on my P5GX-M board recently. I run the system at 266 MHz (8x33) normally and get 103.6 fps in DOOM timedemo3.

Turning L1 off, I get DOOM = 18.0 fps.

Turning AISP on (Part of the Performance Control Register), I get DOOM = 16.9 fps
At this point, my Speedsys score is 25.2
Note that setting AISP=on normally decreases the DOOM score by 40% if you leave L1 enabled.

Setting the RAM to 3T and divide by 4, while turning off some other register features (which don't help much, if any, because L1=off), DOOM = 12.6 fps
At this point, Speedsys score is 18.36

Now, if I set the CPU speed to 150 MHz with all the above, DOOM = 8.7 fps
Speedsys = 13.31

There is only a one jumper difference between 8x and 5x, so you can use the turbo button for this mod. This gives you 166 MHz.
To get to a 30 MHz FSB, there is also a one jumper difference, but your case needs to have an extra switch, or you can mount one to a slot cover. You'd need to use a single-pole, double-throw switch for this (which most turbo buttons are). Or you can be content with 166 MHz.

At 8.7 fps in DOOM, you are looking like a AMD 386DX-40. It would be interesting to see if increasing the I/O wait states can slow this down further if using an ISA graphics card, but at that point, it doesn't help much with getting back to Pentium speed levels.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.