VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been reading up on the subject of sound for old DOS (mid 80's - early 90's) games and lets see if I have this right.

1. Sound card listed on SoftMPU's compatibility list https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/wiki/Compatible-Sound-Cards
2. Roland MT-32 synth
3. Cable to connect sound card's MPU-401 port to MIDI input port on Roland MT-32 synth
4. Cable to connect Roland MT-32's output to sound card's line in
5. SoftMPU to enable intelligent mode so that sound card may communicate with MT-32 over MIDI interface

Of all the compatible sound cards which one sounds best and is most compatible?

What happens if the game doesn't support the Roland MT-32?

Or, could I just use a Sound Blaster Pro 2, CT1600? I mean I won't have nice sounding MIDI but how horrible is the CT1600's music? For old stuff isn't this thing pretty damn compatible? I know that sound in DOS is such a controversial and deep subject with all of the standards back then. I just want to play the vast majority of older games which I never got to enjoy while having a nice listening experience.

Obviously I am a newb when it comes to this older DOS sound so don't beat me up too bad.

Last edited by squareguy on 2013-09-30, 04:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This question has no answer, or rather a different answer depending on who you ask. You first need to ask yourself what games you want to play, and that should narrow down your hardware requirements - you can't cover it all with one setup in my experience.

Your 1-5 steps above look pretty good, although it includes 2 '4s'! SoftMPU is a wondrous thing but you won't need it for the majority of games, only those that require intelligent mode, and you might not want to play them anyway.

The CT1600 is a cracker of a card and will cover most requirements, but of course it can't do fancy MIDI, it just has the OPL3 chip for music. The MT-32 and General Midi stuff is fun to play with but it complicates matters a LOT. If you're happy with nice, compatible FX and OPL3 music then it's the way to go. No fuss, no muss. Personally, after messing with all of this hardware over the years, I think a CT1600 is all you need.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and fixed the two fours and I think I will definitely pick up a CT1600 at least to start with. Sound in DOS really is a pretty complicated issue.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're just getting a CT1600 + MT-32, then it doesn't have to be complicated at all. Some games supports the MT-32, and they'll have setting for it in the sound setup, shouldn't be difficult at all, the one that don't, well, just run OPL3 (FM Sound) for music. Get a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II speakers, which have 2 line inputs, one where you could connect the CT1600's line-out and one where you could plug in the line-out from the MT-32. If you ever need intelligent mode for midi playback, just use SoftMPU as you've already figured out. Problems solved.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you have a Roland MPU-401AT, let me remind you that the CT1600 does not have a UART compatible MPU-401. If you still want Creative go with a SB 16 CT1740, or if SB Pro compatibility is more important go with a YMF718 or 719 chipset card.

Reply 5 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to be patient and wait for betold cards to appear at lower prices. This ebay store sometimes sells SB Pro 2 CT1600 for $20-25, and SB16 CT1740 for $15, which is cheap enough.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 6 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always wanted to grab a Yamaha based card, if for no other reason than just to have one. How about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-16bit-Sound-Card- … s-/200965841109

Windows 98 SE

Reply 7 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
squareguy wrote:

I always wanted to grab a Yamaha based card, if for no other reason than just to have one. How about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-16bit-Sound-Card- … s-/200965841109

Yep that will be fine. Although the dos software is nothing special, the card is not hard to configure. It has very good SB Pro compatibility and real OPL3 sound. It gets better if you disable 3D, ymersion and bass. Also it's good to disable the internal amp. You do that by changing jumper positions. The card will have good sound to noise ratio. As far as i know, it has shown perfect compatibility with SoftMPU.

It has my approval.

Reply 8 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered two cards. I plan to use one with a Vortex 2 card for my Windows 98 SE box possibly and the other for a pure DOS box for older games. Thanks for the input.

Windows 98 SE