VOGONS

Katmai overclocking question

Topic actions

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so I recently got a motherboard and CPU to replace my K6-III (cost me the equivalent of 15 dollars), it was an Abit BX6 1.0 (latest BIOS) and a Katmai 450Mhz.

the Katmai in question is a SL37C , the boxed retail equivalent of the SL35D, which apparently has some decent overclocking potential.

first off, how true is that rumor? and if it is, would it be safe to up the FSB (multiplier is locked of course) when the CPU is using just a stock heatsink and fan.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 29, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 500 did about 560 or so. I wouldn't say that Katmai are great overclockers, the L2 cache is the limiting factor. If you up the FSB in small steps like usual you should be safe, because usually the system won't even boot before the SRAMs release their magic smoke.

Disclaimer: I can't be made responsible if you fry your $15 CPU 😉

Reply 2 of 29, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Katmai 600, the one they withdraw soon after release (but not recalled as the 1133 coppermine was) in my support box that I use to prepare bios update disks and the like.
Its rock stable at 600 mhz but wont even overclock to 620 mhz without issues, The louse overclocking could be related to the fact that I use a MSI MS6119 OEM BX board crossflashed with the normal MS6119 bios.
I would aim for 4.5*133 and if that fail settle for 4.5*124. If it needs more voltage give it more voltage, its not easy to kill a Katmai. Up to 2.3v or so should be safe as long as it dosnt get to hot.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2013-10-01, 12:23. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Katmai 450 @ 600:

12237517.gif

Darkman wrote:

... would it be safe to up the FSB (multiplier is locked of course) when the CPU is using just a stock heatsink and fan.

Got a pic of that?

Let the air flow!

Reply 4 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

Katmai 450 @ 600:

Darkman wrote:

... would it be safe to up the FSB (multiplier is locked of course) when the CPU is using just a stock heatsink and fan.

Got a pic of that?

well , its not exactly the same, but the CPU it looks pretty much like this one,

p3320.jpg

its what the CPU itself came with , and it honestly looked like it wasn't taken out of the box (which it came with)

there is also of course the concern regarding what raising the FSB will do to the Voodoo 3 Ive got in the AGP slot

btw the 15 dollars wasn't just for the CPU , it was the combined price of the motherboard , CPU and a stick of RAM , and half of that price was shipping.

Reply 6 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Supposed both the Katmai and the Voodoo like 133MHz we'd be talking ~45W TDP. I'd put at least an 80mm fan at the rear panel extracting (even better if we cut off the grill to unchoke the fan). Then if the case left panel allows another 80 intake pushing directly ontop the CPU would be heaven, otherwise at the front.

That one in your pic isn't precisely the best heatsink that came OEM with Slot-1 P-IIIs, these worked better:

810692169524abfcb1c65c.png

855983442524ac0a47e882.png

I'd see if I can scrounge and transplant one of these. With decent case ventilation these can go passive (old toy fans don't move any air at all anyway).

Let the air flow!

Reply 7 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, I overclocked it , but not to the full 600mhz, this motherboard has the options for 100 , 112 , 133Mhz, (in addition to 66), so I tried the 112Mhz FSB option , which means the CPU is clocked at 500Mhz

cpuid_zps0a403b81.png

I ran 3DMark2001, as well as System Shock 2 and UT99 for about an hour and a half, it seems to be very stable.

the problem is that I have no idea what the CPU temperature is, the better heatsink advice is of course sensible, though for the price of the heatsink I can get an actual 600mhz Katmai, which kind of defeats the purpose of it.

Reply 8 of 29, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, I don't think knowing the exact temperature really matters... those things were pretty tolerant of heat. If it runs stable, and the heatsink doesn't burn your fingers when you touch it, you should be alright.

Reply 9 of 29, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run my Katmai 550 stable at 616 MHz (112 FSB). I can set it to 732 (133 FSB) in DOS without any problems (in Windows it won't boot, probably because the AGP card can't keep up at 90MHz.)

Last week I upgraded the heatsink:

Filename
IMG_4654x.jpg
File size
83.14 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
old vs new
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
IMG_4660x.jpg
File size
77.82 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
mounted with fan
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Temperatures dropped from 42°C to 36°C on full load...

Reply 11 of 29, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Sometimes Intel would use cache chips of a higher rated speed than necessary. SL35D was one of these situations.

What a shame to have an SL35D (PIII-450) and not be able to test it at 4.5x133=600MHz because of lack of mobo... 😊

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 12 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a little update on the situation , I thought of the heatsink advice and ended up finding a CPU and heatsink , its a proper 600mhz Katmai, so its the most this motherboard will take, and it seems (judging by the sticker on it) that it was part of an IBM Netfinity , which Im not sure what that is exactly (Im assuming a server of some kind?, though what would a Katmai be doing in a server?). so no need for overclocking

3c9ac707-ad2d-4daf-96a5-74929a96d3e8_zpsf91b3d6a.jpg
Picture48_zps7f61cf43.jpg

450Mhz on the right (with the fan taken off) 600mhz on the left, only annoyance here is that I can't seem to fit any fan on this bigger heatsink , the tabs are a rather odd shape, I did run 3Dmark2000/2001SE and it was stable, though Im not too confident about the lack of a fan.

Reply 13 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No real need of CPU fan with that type of heatsink ontop a Katmai 600, you can let it go passive. What you need is a case fan extracting at rear panel, and another intake fan at left panel (if possible) or at front panel, for decent case ventilation. The larger the fans the better.

?di=10138089679813

Let the air flow!

Reply 14 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sadly there isn't any space for a rear fan , there is a decent fan at the front of the case as well as plenty of vents on the back, but no space overall .

the case is quite large, but built in a way that putting on extra fans is almost impossible without drilling holes in the case or something of that nature.

Reply 15 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dang, that's the problem with many ancient cases, terrible case ventilation 😵 . At least the PSU sucks air from inside the case close to the CPU? Pics of case internals would be interesting.

Let the air flow!

Reply 17 of 29, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkman wrote:

there you go, you will have to excuse the cable mess, not much one can do in these cases.

You can always throw money at that problem! 🤣

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16812200109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16812200310

Reply 18 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The rear panel of that case is hopeless for ventilation, but if I understand your PSU correctly and it only sucks air thru the slots on its "underside", right over the CPU, at least the cooling path for the CPU is sound:

?di=113809162754

Some easy and cheap extra touches you can do to improve your cooling:

1) Clear the "path" painted above of wiring as best as you can, specially the flat wide IDE cables which are poison for airflow.

2) Seal with duct tape or something all the slots in the rear panel. This sounds counterintuitively negative for cooling, bull all those slots do is recirculate warm air expelled backwards by the PSU fan in an "air short-circuit".

Short_Circulating_Air.gif

3) Unplug the comp from the wall and cut off the grill behind the PSU fan. This can be done with cutting pliers and a bit of care without removing or opening the PSU.

dt-1013809183156.png

4) Cut off those three horizontal plastic bars behind the fron intake fan. If by now you are trigger-happy with the cutting pliers, also cut off the metal grill in front of the front intake fan.

Grills are poison for airflow and they need to be destroyed.

bb5b4922_KILLGRILLP14001.jpeg

Let the air flow!

Reply 19 of 29, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, how much air circulation does a 120mm fan lose from having a grill in front of it? I'd like to know since I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout case, and I'm thinking of possibly dremeling out the fan grills.