VOGONS

Katmai overclocking question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm...well the cable mess I can sort out easily for very cheap, same with the intake fan, cutting off the grill on the PSU fan would be more difficult, its not so much a grill as much as fairly thick bars.

btw, while I can't check the CPU temperature , it does tell me the motherboard temperature is 29C after a couple of hours of gaming, whether that's indicative of anything Im not sure (not the CPU as such , but just general temperature in the system)

Reply 21 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

So, how much air circulation does a 120mm fan lose from having a grill in front of it?...

13420663.jpg

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.p … chessis&area=en

Grills not only are nocive for airflow, the restriction and turbulence they generate can also produce nasty aerodynamic noise, as this video (which also demonstrates the grill extermination technique) shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1zhfYHUIIY#t=1154

No quarter must be shown to grills.

LL . LL . LL

8799c654_KILLGRILL002.png

Darkman wrote:

... it does tell me the motherboard temperature is 29C after a couple of hours of gaming ...

What's the ambient temp in the room the comp is in?

Let the air flow!

Reply 22 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im guessing about 20C or so , maybe a bit more keeping in mind that its a small room , where sometimes another computer (the modern one) is also running.

this is the fan on my PSU

Picture50_zpsdf1512b6.jpg

Im thinking of cutting out most of the rings there if I can find a cutting tool thats actually good enough , though I may not be able to find one

Reply 24 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

Im guessing about 20C or so , maybe a bit more ...

Then you have less than Δ10C on the mobo sensor. That's quite decent case ventilation.

The fan grill in your PSU is a piece of cake to extirpate, raised type with only 4 attach points. Just four cuts with the pliers and it will be gone all in one piece.

?di=4138097084512

?di=7138097110810

Remember to unplug from the wall for extra safety and be careful not do damage the fan.

Let the air flow!

Reply 25 of 29, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TELVM, do you think adding a thin wire grille would interfere too much with airflow?

Just i'm forever putting my hand near the back of the case whilst its running. I know it wont injure me, but I get real jumpy when Im clipped by a fan 🤣

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 27 of 29, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Am I the only one who thinks all of this goes a bit too far for just messing with old hardware? Unless someone is going for a world record for overclocking an old processor... 😀

Reply 28 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Forevermore wrote:

TELVM, do you think adding a thin wire grille would interfere too much with airflow? ...

If there must be a grill, the least airflow damaging grill design is raised concentric thin wire circles.

?di=1013809829364 . ?di=14138098296214 . dt-12138098336310.png

Last edited by TELVM on 2013-10-05, 14:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Let the air flow!

Reply 29 of 29, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

good point, though one has to wonder why would someone stick his fingers into the PSU, especially if its working, other than maybe small children I guess.

for now, I will do the easiest thing and sort out the cable mess , it got on my nerves that I actually had to dig through the cables to reach one the RAM modules (found an extra 128Mb PC133 stick lying around, so I figured I would put it to use), I would rather mod the case as little as possible, besides I don't think I even have a a good enough cutting tool around here anyways.