Topic actions

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I`d really like to know which terratec sound this is:

http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/201 … tt-929_v1.0.jpg

Amoretro saying its a meastro 32, but iam not really sure about it.
Why i need to know this soundcard, is because iam looking for the original soundcard / cd-rom interface driver which came with the card.

I have also looked on the FTP from terratec but cant find the right drivers for this card.. or they arent on the FTP.
I have also looked on stason.org to see if i could find the right card on the datasheet..
The card that almost look the same is the terratec soundsystem meastro smart office.. it looks 90% identical to me..

Does someone knows if there are DOS sound drivers for this soundcard?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the CD-ROM drivers included do not work?
ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Audio/Maestro/1696/Driver/
Usually the cards use the default CD-ROM drivers for the proprietary interfaces, so do those.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont know if it is a Maestro 1696.. Because i found an other card on amoretro`s website.. And thats a real 1696 card.. But if i compare it with my sound card,then my soundcard is different.

This is that 16/96 card what i mean:
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/201 … _ver._1.0_1.jpg

And this is the normal 16 version:
http://www.amoretro.de/2011/06/terratec-maestro-16.html

Reply 3 of 22, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if it's even worth the effort to find the original Terratec drivers... aside from the Terratec logo, that thing looks exactly like every other Opti 929 card ever made, so I'd presume it'd work just fine with the generic Opti 929 drivers.

Reply 4 of 22, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hiho,

this is no mysterious card. It is the Maestro 32 card, one of the most popular budget cards back in the day here in Germany. Basically it's just a OPTi 929A card with either the AD or Crystal codec, very much like the Monte Carlo 929 sound card from Turtle Beach.

I have the original driver on a floppy. I could upload it, if required.

The 16/96 mentioned here is a entirely different card with a dream synth onboard.
The 16 is a basic card with "CompuMedia" labeled chip and AD / Crystal codec.
The 16/96 Gold is an ESS1868 based card.
The 32/96 is a Crystal 4232 card with dream synth and 4MB roland sound font.

Kind regards
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 5 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fabian can you upload those original drivers?? Because iam really look for those.. But i cant find them on the internet..

I hope you can upload those to vogonsdrivers.com too.

And a next question for fabian.. How do/can you recognize does soundcards without any brand on the pcb??
Do you use any particular software to find the brand or get any clue`s for other software.??

I like that to know, because of buying a particular soundcard but dont knowing the brand..
And where do you find all off those drivers? Did you make a own sound drivers libery or so?

Reply 6 of 22, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old Thrashbarg and FGB are spot on with this card. You don't need specific Terratec drivers for this card, you only need Opti 82C929 drivers for it. I've got a Diamond Multimedia Pro 16 card with an Opti 82c929, YMF-262 and Crystal CS4248 codec on it. The Opti 82c929 is the controller chip for the board, it'll receive commands from the driver and then instruct the YMF-262 or CS4248/AD1845 to play the various tunes/samples from the game. I hope the Terratec is better than the Diamond board as the Diamond board has a very poor analogue stage on the YMF-262, the OPL tunes clip almost all the time and sound very distorted. Also, in Win95/98 DOS mode, the SB/SB PRO interrupt can't be set to IRQ5, it has to be IRQ7. In real DOS mode it can be set to IRQ5, very strange! Had really high hopes for the Diamond Pro 16 when I bought it as it had all the right attributes on paper for the perfect ISA soundcard. The crap analogue stage and forced IRQ7 were dealbreakers unfortunately.

Reply 7 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it would be better if i could get the original drivers for it.. So then i hope FGB can help me.. I have send him a mail.. So only time will tell..

Reply 10 of 22, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you get the original drivers for it or generic 82c929 drivers?

How's the sound quality, any good? Are you able to select IRQ5 for the Soundblaster section in Win98?

Reply 11 of 22, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Can anyone upload the original drivers?? Maybe you FGB??????

Robin4 wrote:

Thanks FGB for your help (NOT), but i have it already running.

You are a funny guy, no doubt 🤣
Shame on me for not being here day in day out. You know, I'm not the 24/7 internet guy. Uploading drivers takes its time and it also demands a bit of patience on the other side...Maybe a "please" would have helped speeding it up a bit, though..

But hey - I'm glad you finally got the drivers for the Maestro 32 card.

Regards
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 12 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found out that this sound card is an Maestro M16.. Not 32.. (should be same like a Soundblaster 16.)

There is one with analog device codec, and one with crystal codec.

Also find drivers online which seems to be 95% valid to me.

Attachments

• Filename
    M16CS_Drv_3x_Disk2.exe
    File size
    694.25 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    M16CS_Drv_3x_Disk1.exe
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    M16AD_Drv_9x_1.20.zip
    File size
    141.54 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    M16AD_Drv_3x_Disk2.exe
    File size
    694.25 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    M16AD_Drv_3x_Disk1.exe
    File size
    1021.25 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File license

Reply 13 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and

Attachments

• Filename
    M16CS_Drv_9x_1.20.zip
    File size
    141.54 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license

Reply 14 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote on 2013-10-07, 00:07:

I think it would be better if i could get the original drivers for it..

This card does't need DOS drivers, only initialization. So no, "original drivers" wouldn't be better than just using the far more flexible Unisound.

Robin4 wrote on 2022-12-10, 02:23:

I found out that this sound card is an Maestro M16.. Not 32.. (should be same like a Soundblaster 16.)

Around this time Terratec was releasing multiple very similar PCBs under multiple names. They didn't really care and neither need we.

In any event, it's still an OPTi 929 card, so no, not like Soundblaster 16: no SB16 support, only SBPro2 and WSS.

There is one with analog device codec, and one with crystal codec.

...which makes exactly zero difference to drivers needed under Windows, or init under DOS. Discrete codecs like this were completely interchangeable on most cards (not just Terratec or indeed OPTi 929-based ones), frequently depending on what the fab in Taiwan had in the bucket next to the assembly line.

Reply 15 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-12-10, 11:08:
Robin4 wrote on 2022-12-10, 02:23:

Around this time Terratec was releasing multiple very similar PCBs under multiple names. They didn't really care and neither need we.

In any event, it's still an OPTi 929 card, so no, not like Soundblaster 16: no SB16 support, only SBPro2 and WSS.

AFAIK the earlier Maestro 32 cards, prior to the single board Maestro 32/96, where two-part cards: A host card from their "16" line, combined with a Wavetable daughterboard. So when it was sold together with the daughterboard it suddenly became a Maestro 32.

I think the 16 in the name comes from the WSS 16-bit digitized audio. It would be foolish for Terratec not joining the 8/16/32 bit/voices/whatever sound card marketing. I had a Sound Blaster PCI 128, which must surely be the best card ever, according to its name.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote on 2022-12-10, 20:47:

[...]

I think the 16 in the name comes from the WSS 16-bit digitized audio. It would be foolish for Terratec not joining the 8/16/32 bit/voices/whatever sound card marketing. I had a Sound Blaster PCI 128, which must surely be the best card ever, according to its name.

No no no, my Sound Blaster PCI 512 was four times your card. And whoever has the Ensoniq S-2000 must have the ultimate card 😉

Reply 17 of 22, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-12-10, 22:38:

[...]

No no no, my Sound Blaster PCI 512 was four times your card...

61-vollbild.jpg
😏

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 19 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2022-12-10, 23:25:
https://static.fore.4pcdn.de/premium/Screenshots/7f/39/61-vollbild.jpg :smirk: […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2022-12-10, 22:38:

[...]

No no no, my Sound Blaster PCI 512 was four times your card...

61-vollbild.jpg
😏

One 1024 to rule them all:

8fb15954-5f03-403f-a0ed-234cf67d6fda?rule=$_59.JPG

P.S. My favorite PCI sound card, btw.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.