VOGONS

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My (Windows 7) laptop has (for reasons that baffle me) it's hard drive LED light on the side of the machine, making it not-visible when I'm typing on it or playing games. I use a third party program called DriveGLEAM which puts an icon on the Windows taskbar and flashes when the hard drive is working, which is great of course, but is only visible when the task bar is visible. When playing full-screen games the icon isn't visible, so when the game isn't moving (say when it's on a loading screen) I sometimes wonder if it's crashed, since the hard drive is too quiet to be heard (especially when on the train - I commute to work).

Basically what I looking for is a Windows program that will flash the CAPS LOCK LED (which is on the CAPS LOCK key, they got that design decision right) when the hard drive is being used. But all of the show-hard-drive-access programs I've tried only show the hard drive status via the Windows task bar, so I thought I'd ask here, as it seems likely that some VOGONS members might have had this problem in the past with desktop or laptops, and might know of a program to provide the solution.

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 2 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reckless wrote:

This seems to offer the option you're looking for - http://sourceforge.net/projects/activityindicat/

That's *exactly* what I'm looking for, thanks! It does have a slight problem, in that it genuinely does switch upper/lower case status (it doesn't just flash the CAPS LOCK light) so that when I started to type this, I got

ThaT'S exaCtly wHat I'm

so I had to disable the program whilst typing, but that's a minor problem, I'll only use the program when playing games, and disable it when I'm typing work stuff.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BastlerMike wrote:

Why don't you use the scroll-lock LED ?

Because there isn't one. Seriously, I checked in the manual. You'd think a laptop would need a Scroll Lock LED LED more than a desktop would, since a laptop has a cut-down keyboard, but no, my laptop doesn't have one.