VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of at least 6 different AGP ATI Rage cards but this one stands out:

Filename
ati_rage_pro_turbo_agp.jpg
File size
1016.9 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is it worth keeping?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I never got it to work with Mech2 ATI 🙁

Your driver version?

Gona's chart indicates Rage Pro Turbo should work with not all driver versions:
http://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only problem with the ATI Rage Pro and Mechwarrior 2 is that a bug in the game (skygnd.par) makes it look pretty bad. I don't know if anyone have made a bugfree skygnd.par for the ATI Rage Pro card. If anyone wants to take a shot at it, please do so. It is just tedious work to fix it.

This post will be of help as it links skygnd.par with ingame mission names:
Re: Mechwarrior 2 ATi Rage edition runs super laggy on Rage Pro?

This post specifies how to fix the ground texture:

More info on the sky:

If you feel the sky is moving too fast, go into the skygnd.par file and reduce the animation rate(s). I tested mine by using the […]
Show full quote

If you feel the sky is moving too fast, go into the skygnd.par file and reduce the animation rate(s). I tested mine by using the registration cheat "freebirthtoad" to unlock all Jade Falcon missions and started with the first mission listed, "Pink." on planet Colmar, which had a sky that was moving way too fast. **Note: You may want to save a backup copy of the original file and rename it "skygnd.bak" before editing it, encase you have problems after changing values** If you double click on the skygnd.par file, it will ask you what program to open it with. Choose Notepad, and make sure that the "always open with" box is checked, so you can go right into the file in the future. Once in the file you will see a total of 70 missions listed (*See note at below*). The sky animation rate for each mission is listed on the far right. Ex:
mission=pink tile_sky=12.0 tile_ground=20000.0 anim_rate=0.00004

After some testing I changed the animation rate to by adding an extra zero and slowing it down quite a bit to anim_rate=0.000004 Depending on your systems speed and own personal preference, you will probably have to mess around with values until you find a result you are happy with

As far as the other two values, tile_sky & tile_ground, they control the number of terrain map files per given unit area. Increasing the values will create smaller tiles, decreasing values will stretch the tiles out over a larger distance. I messed around with both values for the "Pink" mission. Increasing the sky tile number did make the sky more realistic overhead (and changed the perceived cloud altitude), but it made it look for unrealistic and tiled-looking as you looked toward the horizon.

These tweaks may not offer any huge insight, but they are starting point to becoming famliar with the MW2 3D game engine.

Mech2 on the ATI Rage Pro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzWdwj9NvU

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
The only problem with the ATI Rage Pro and Mechwarrior 2 is that a bug in the game (skygnd.par) makes it look pretty bad. I don' […]
Show full quote

The only problem with the ATI Rage Pro and Mechwarrior 2 is that a bug in the game (skygnd.par) makes it look pretty bad. I don't know if anyone have made a bugfree skygnd.par for the ATI Rage Pro card. If anyone wants to take a shot at it, please do so. It is just tedious work to fix it.

This post will be of help as it links skygnd.par with ingame mission names:

This post specifies how to fix the ground texture:

More info on the sky:

If you feel the sky is moving too fast, go into the skygnd.par file and reduce the animation rate(s). I tested mine by using the […]
Show full quote

If you feel the sky is moving too fast, go into the skygnd.par file and reduce the animation rate(s). I tested mine by using the registration cheat "freebirthtoad" to unlock all Jade Falcon missions and started with the first mission listed, "Pink." on planet Colmar, which had a sky that was moving way too fast. **Note: You may want to save a backup copy of the original file and rename it "skygnd.bak" before editing it, encase you have problems after changing values** If you double click on the skygnd.par file, it will ask you what program to open it with. Choose Notepad, and make sure that the "always open with" box is checked, so you can go right into the file in the future. Once in the file you will see a total of 70 missions listed (*See note at below*). The sky animation rate for each mission is listed on the far right. Ex:
mission=pink tile_sky=12.0 tile_ground=20000.0 anim_rate=0.00004

After some testing I changed the animation rate to by adding an extra zero and slowing it down quite a bit to anim_rate=0.000004 Depending on your systems speed and own personal preference, you will probably have to mess around with values until you find a result you are happy with

As far as the other two values, tile_sky & tile_ground, they control the number of terrain map files per given unit area. Increasing the values will create smaller tiles, decreasing values will stretch the tiles out over a larger distance. I messed around with both values for the "Pink" mission. Increasing the sky tile number did make the sky more realistic overhead (and changed the perceived cloud altitude), but it made it look for unrealistic and tiled-looking as you looked toward the horizon.

These tweaks may not offer any huge insight, but they are starting point to becoming famliar with the MW2 3D game engine.

Mech2 on the ATI Rage Pro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzWdwj9NvU

That's not a Rage Pro in the video, it's a Rage II.

Reply 6 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

That's not a Rage Pro in the video, it's a Rage II.

I should have specified that the Rage Pro footage starts at 2:00. Rest is Rage II

Another clip available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2z_pyeX0uU

Also there is no need to quote the whole post just for that comment.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used a Rage Pro for a long time. I see no point in dealing with them in this day and age – any system that can use one of them can probably easily use any number of much, much better cards that can be obtained cheaply from eBay. Even a GeForce 4MX is a vast improvement.

Reply 8 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I used a Rage Pro for a long time. I see no point in dealing with them in this day and age – any system that can use one of them can probably easily use any number of much, much better cards that can be obtained cheaply from eBay. Even a GeForce 4MX is a vast improvement.

But if you have a game that uses the Rage proprietary API, like the Rage version of MW2, then the GF4MX can't run that and that's the whole point of having an early Rage card in the first place, to run those games.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be the only point, as far as I can tell – but then, there aren't that many of those games, and there are so very many other things you could play instead. 😉