Rare CPUs

Topic actions

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know some members here collect rare 486 and rare socket 5/7 CPUs
Perhaps there are even some other really rare CPUs among the members here?

I think this is my most rare CPU

Socket-A Athlon 3200+ 2333 mhz (14*166)
The normal 2200 mhz 3200+ is common but the 2333 mhz version seem to be rare.

hw7l.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 64, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that is a pretty rare one. AFAIK it was an OEM chip exclusive to HP/Compaq, and it was only ever offered for a short time in a couple models.

Reply 4 of 64, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, that is a pretty rare one. AFAIK it was an OEM chip exclusive to HP/Compaq, and it was only ever offered for a short time in a couple models.

Yea that makes sense

I got it from an old HP I found in a dumpster perhaps 5 years ago, the motherboard had lots of bad caps and would not post.
I got really surprised when it defaulted to 14*166 on my Nforce 2 Ultra board so I checked the CPU part number.

I like that old Slot-A not yet Athlon

I have an AMD-K7500MTR51B
Its the first series but not as old as yours since my CPU has AMD ATHLON PROCESSOR written on it

sliderider wrote:

I'm just wondering why AMD would sell a chip with a reduced front side bus speed. That would make the performance seem worse when compared to Intels chips.

Perhaps HPs board could not manage 200 mhz ?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 64, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just wondering why AMD would sell a chip with a reduced front side bus speed. That would make the performance seem worse when compared to Intels chips.

FSB speed really didn't make that much difference on the Athon XPs. Obviously it had an effect, yeah, but the 133mhz higher overall clock speed compared to the 'normal' 3200+ would've been enough to offset the slight performance drop from the lower bus speed.

And besides, that chip wasn't intended as a flagship CPU in the first place. It was released in late 2003, several months after the original 400FSB 3200+ came out, and also shortly after the first Athlon64s came onto the scene and took the performance crown.

Reply 7 of 64, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own a Pentium III 1000 (133 FSB) Slot 1 CPU with a funky cooler. Got it for free from an awesome guy, but I haven't been able to find one like this online.

L_00002839.jpg

Undoubtedly, a 100MHz version would have been much more useful in 440BX boards, but this is cool as it is 😀.

Reply 8 of 64, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On topic, I did manage to find this a while back

cid_Pic20-1_zpsd80a1daf.jpg

It's a 120mhz, which is rare enough, but it's also a 4x multiplier 120mhz which kicks the rarity up a notch. Unbelievably, I found it in a scrap gold lot and have tested it and it works. 😮

I also pick up Nexgen nx586 stuff when I can. I currently have 2 P90 rated nx586 chips and a P100 rated chip in my collection. I also have every speed grade of the first generation IDT Winchip EXCEPT for one that I only ever read about and that was a 150mhz prototype that wasn't meant for general release and I don't expect that any of those will be hitting the market any time soon unless one of the more famous, hardcore collectors decides to let go of one and it likely won't go cheap if it's out there.

Reply 9 of 64, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the IntelDX4 overdrive chips worth something? The ones with the voltage regulator PCB and black passive cooler?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 64, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much any DX4 is worth something these days (since 486 stuff in general seems to be in demand lately), and the Overdrive chips a bit more so since they're the most attainable upgrade for 5V-only boards. But I wouldn't call them rare in any way. There's usually at least a couple on eBay at any given time, and putting aside the stupid buy-it-now prices that some of the usual offenders want, they seem to go for around $20, give or take.

Reply 11 of 64, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Pretty much any DX4 is worth something these days (since 486 stuff in general seems to be in demand lately), and the Overdrive chips a bit more so since they're the most attainable upgrade for 5V-only boards. But I wouldn't call them rare in any way. There's usually at least a couple on eBay at any given time, and putting aside the stupid buy-it-now prices that some of the usual offenders want, they seem to go for around $20, give or take.

But for $20 you can easily find a AMD 5x86 or sometimes even a POD (rarely) so a DX4 for that price really isn't a bargain.

Reply 12 of 64, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finding a 5x86 inexpensively is easy. Finding a voltage converter to go with it, not so easy. And even putting side the fact that it takes a hell of a lot of luck and patience to get a POD for that price these days, they also won't work in a lot of older 486 boards. So I don't think it's at all unreasonable that the DX4 Overdrives are in fair demand.

As for the price, I wouldn't consider it a bargain either. Frankly, I think all 486 stuff is over-valued these days. But, like it or not, apparently there are enough buyers on eBay who disagree.

Reply 13 of 64, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a collector of CPUs. Doesn't always have to be rare, but I believe the rarest one I have is my IBM (Cyrix) 5x86C 100. And maybe my MII 366GP.

Being an AMD fanboy, theres still a number of AMD CPUs id love to get a hold of. I sadly don't have a K5 yet 🙁 Or an Athlon FX 😢

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 15 of 64, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the rarest CPU in the world, but my favorite is the Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz. I believe it is the fastest thing that'll run on a BX chipset board and thus making it the best Win9x retro CPU available (assuming a Slotket or Powerleap adapter)
http://ark.intel.com/products/27170/Intel-Cel … che-100-MHz-FSB

Reply 16 of 64, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
valnar wrote:

It's not the rarest CPU in the world, but my favorite is the Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz. I believe it is the fastest thing that'll run on a BX chipset board and thus making it the best Win9x retro CPU available (assuming a Slotket or Powerleap adapter)
http://ark.intel.com/products/27170/Intel-Cel … che-100-MHz-FSB

Sorry, to say otherwise, but a 1.4ghz Pentium III Tualatin can run on a 440BX board and at stock speeds the Pentium is quicker.

What is a bigger question is if a 100mhz FSB Celeron overclocked to 133mhz or 150FSB will beat a 150mhz FSB Pentium 3 in 440BX. The Celeron has 14x multiplier while the Pentium got 10,5x, meaning the potential clockspeed will be higher on the Celeron.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 18 of 64, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Sorry, to say otherwise, but a 1.4ghz Pentium III Tualatin can run on a 440BX board and at stock speeds the Pentium is quicker.

What is a bigger question is if a 100mhz FSB Celeron overclocked to 133mhz or 150FSB will beat a 150mhz FSB Pentium 3 in 440BX. The Celeron has 14x multiplier while the Pentium got 10,5x, meaning the potential clockspeed will be higher on the Celeron.

I was not going for overclocked, but point taken. I keep my BX chipset boards at 100Mhz so all my peripherals work.

Reply 19 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached are some less common, harder to find, or rare chips in my collection.

The AMD DX2 shown can actually run at 166 MHz, that's 2 x 83.33 MHz.

Attachments

• Less_Common_5.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_5.jpg
    File size
    71.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Less_Common_4.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_4.jpg
    File size
    76.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Less_Common_3.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_3.jpg
    File size
    93.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Less_Common_2.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_2.jpg
    File size
    128.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Less_Common_1.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_1.jpg
    File size
    140.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by feipoa on 2013-11-15, 01:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.