VOGONS

Rare CPUs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One more. I have a matched pair of these.

Attachments

• Less_Common_0.jpg
    Filename
    Less_Common_0.jpg
    File size
    59.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Cyrix 5x86 was faster than the Intel 486. Refer to the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison. They work in a standard 486 socket 3.

Reply 23 of 64, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Attached are some less common, harder to find, or rare chips in my collection.

The AMD DX2 shown can actually run at 166 MHz, that's 2 x 83.33 MHz.

Oh, stop! You and your Cyrix chips. LoL! 🤣

Incidentally, does anyone have one of the recalled 1.13ghz Pentium III chips? I would think that would be one of the rarest CPU's to have. It would be nothing more than a wallhanger because of all the bugs, but still nice to have as a collectible.

Reply 24 of 64, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the rarest is the 486slc that's in the IBM PS/2 Model 30-286. It was a very niche processor, mainly aimed at laptop manufacturers that wanted 486 speeds without creating a fully 32-bit bus or going with a 386sx. The second most rare is probably the Intel 387 and AMD? or Cyrix? coproessor that we put in the same 30-286. We had to pull the coprocessor out when we instaleed the 486slc though.

Reply 25 of 64, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Samir wrote:

I think the rarest is the 486slc that's in the IBM PS/2 Model 30-286. It was a very niche processor, mainly aimed at laptop manufacturers that wanted 486 speeds without creating a fully 32-bit bus or going with a 386sx. The second most rare is probably the Intel 387 and AMD? or Cyrix? coproessor that we put in the same 30-286. We had to pull the coprocessor out when we instaleed the 486slc though.

The Cyrix 287XL+ was pretty rare. It's probably the most capable of all the 287 class FPU's and very hard to find. LZF7000 has had one for sale for a while now, but his price is high and he's the only one I've ever seen who had one.

Reply 26 of 64, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Samir wrote:

The Cyrix 287XL+ was pretty rare. It's probably the most capable of all the 287 class FPU's and very hard to find. LZF7000 has had one for sale for a while now, but his price is high and he's the only one I've ever seen who had one.

I can't remember if that's the model we have or not. I know we had an Intel one that was good for even 386's (so we kept it in when we upgraded to a 386slc), and then a Cyrix one that worked only with 286's, but was much faster.

Shoot, I forgot we had upgraded this system twice--so we have a 386slc upgrade chip that would make the 286-10 around 386sx-15/20. It was double the speed for us, and we could finally run Win 3.1 in Enhanced Mode for true multi-tasking.

Reply 27 of 64, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just purchased a large lot of 70+ 386/486/586 class CPUs, mostly Intel, but some Cyrix and AMD.

Are some Intel 486 SX/DX/DX2 models more rare/collectable than others?

Reply 28 of 64, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the series to know their relative rarity compared to other same-era processors, but according to my observations, the least common CPU I have in my collection is a Cyrix MediaGX 180MHz. I actually have two of them, one in a working system and one from a dead system.

IMG_20150610_233938896.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150610_233938896.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think MediaGX CPUs are rare, nor are they particularly sought after, especially non-PGA chips. The MediaGX chip to have, which is very rare, is the GXm-300.

Reply 30 of 64, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a few Cyrix CPUs in the lot, including one of these. What kind of socket/motherboard will it fit? Not Socket 3, right?

I already have a Cx486 DX266 and a 5x86 120GP with the green heatsinks (my brother-in-law used to work for Cyrix in the early 90s).

S_Cyrix-5x86-100QP%20on%20PGA%20adapter.jpg

Reply 31 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The chip in that photo works in a Socket 3 motherboard. The Cyrix 5x86-120GP with the green heatsink was less common, but not rare.

What did your brother-in-law do for Cyrix? Which years?

Reply 32 of 64, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

The chip in that photo works in a Socket 3 motherboard. The Cyrix 5x86-120GP with the green heatsink was less common, but not rare.

What did your brother-in-law do for Cyrix? Which years?

He is a CPA, so I'm pretty sure he was in their accounting department. He really liked computer games back then. He was with Cyrix for a couple of years, probably something like '93-'95. He got me the CPUs I mentioned above, as well as a 6x86. The 6x86 came on a motherboard. I stll have the generic motherboard box with a Cyrix label on it. I have a heatsink fan with a Cyrix 6x86 label on it. Don't know what happened to the CPU or motherboard, however.

I'm almost positive that Cyrix used M-Technology motherboards. I think I had the M-Tech R407E with the 5x86. The 6x86 may have come with an R534.

Reply 33 of 64, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do FPUs count?
In my 386SX I had an IIT3C87SX:
IIT_3C87SX-20_diff_print.jpg

It is compatible with the Intel 387SX, but more interestingly, it had an extended instructionset, and it actually had 3 stacks of 8 FPU registers instead of just one.
With this contraption you could put entire 4x4 matrices into the registers, and multiply with a 4x1 vector. There were special instructions for that.
This made it considerably faster in 3D mathematics than a regular Intel FPU. But I think they were quite rare, and not a lot of software took advantage.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 34 of 64, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got two of these. Both NIB, but I recently unboxed one on my YT Channel 🤣

Just look how shiny it is!

thsNgm5h.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 35 of 64, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not much of a collector... but I do have around 200 processors from 8088 to Athlon 64.But I don't know if there are any really rare ones.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 37 of 64, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

I just purchased a large lot of 70+ 386/486/586 class CPUs, mostly Intel, but some Cyrix and AMD.

Are some Intel 486 SX/DX/DX2 models more rare/collectable than others?

The 486dx-50 (not dx2-50) was quite rare. This is because the clock ran at 50Mhz rather than being 25Mhz and then doubled internally. It was on par with the performance of a 486dx2-66.

The 486sx was an interesting animal that was much different than the 386sx. The 386sx used a 16-bit external bus with a 32-bit internally. The 486sx was actually a regular 486dx chip with a bad on-chip floating point, so that was disabled. The internal and external busses were still 32-bit.

boxpressed wrote:
There are a few Cyrix CPUs in the lot, including one of these. What kind of socket/motherboard will it fit? Not Socket 3, right? […]
Show full quote

There are a few Cyrix CPUs in the lot, including one of these. What kind of socket/motherboard will it fit? Not Socket 3, right?

I already have a Cx486 DX266 and a 5x86 120GP with the green heatsinks (my brother-in-law used to work for Cyrix in the early 90s).

S_Cyrix-5x86-100QP%20on%20PGA%20adapter.jpg

I'm not sure when the Cyrix P-series of chips came out, but those where pretty standard sockets. I know our supermicro motherboard was able to take either a cyrix p166 or an intel 166 chip, but the cyrix was 1/2 the cost and slightly better on integer performance, so we got the cyrix.

Scali wrote:
Do FPUs count? In my 386SX I had an IIT3C87SX: http://www.chipdb.org/data/thumbnails/930/IIT_3C87SX-20_diff_print.jpg […]
Show full quote

Do FPUs count?
In my 386SX I had an IIT3C87SX:
IIT_3C87SX-20_diff_print.jpg

It is compatible with the Intel 387SX, but more interestingly, it had an extended instructionset, and it actually had 3 stacks of 8 FPU registers instead of just one.
With this contraption you could put entire 4x4 matrices into the registers, and multiply with a 4x1 vector. There were special instructions for that.
This made it considerably faster in 3D mathematics than a regular Intel FPU. But I think they were quite rare, and not a lot of software took advantage.

That's a rare one alright! IIT made solid math coprocessor chips, but I didn't know they made extended instruction sets. I vaguely recall certain applications (cad, etc) that could take better advantage or recommended an IIT coprocessor vs intel, et al.

Reply 39 of 64, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The closest I can come is with my 600MHz Katmai and 900MHz Slot A Tbird.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.