VOGONS

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder which version of aldus photostyler was bundled with sound blaster 16?
I bought it in 1994. 1.1 or 2.0?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 1 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might still have the original CD. I bought a kit in 1994. I'll have to check when I get home. But I believe it was 2.0.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 11, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a BNIB "Edutainment 16" kit... it came with Aldus Photostyler SE 2.0, which is a stripped down version, but the full thing... it's on a CD along with many of the other programs part of the kit

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep. I just checked. I got Aldus PhotoStyler SE 2.0 with my bundle as well.

My "bundle" really sucked hard. I got:

-A crappy Sony CDU-33A 2X proprietary interface CD-ROM Drive
-SB16 CT2230 (the only good thing in the box)
-crappy labtec speakers
-Aldus Photostyler 2.0 SE
-HSE Digital Morph
-Groliers Encyclopedia
-Lemmings
-Indy 500

Since I didn't get any CD-ROM games, I never really considered this much of a bundle.

Reply 6 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sony CDU-33A is not so fast thats true and in retrospect it looks feature wise not so good, but it was cheap.
I actually started with CD-ROMs on PCs with this drive and there were a few reasons to pick exactly this drive.
First one of course the price tag, it costed 230 DM in 1994. This was cheap compared to the SCSI drive alternative, that would have also required to buy a SCSI controller. No-Caddy was another argument. And transfer works also if you set it to pure PIO, saving IRQ/DMA resources. Speed was not a high priority issue. You couldn't watch videos on a 386 anyway and most video playback solutions required a 4x speed drive.

In your bundle wasn't the microphone included?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah yes. I forgot that crappy labtec microphone. I finally tossed it out a year or two ago.

I think my creative bundle was around $400 canadian dollars. As I already had a soundcard, I would have been much better off with a nice NEC 2X SCSI drive an a cheap future domain SCSI controller (sometimes they cost less than $50). CD-ROM caddies are okay by me. Realistically you only need to have one anyway. They run silently, unlike the CDU 33A which couldn't shut the hell up.

My friend bought a similar Creative 2X CD-ROM bundle, and ended up with the Matsushita CR-563B drive. Not only was his drive better, he also got a few pretty nice CD-ROM games too. I think he paid exactly the same price too.

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's especially pathetic when there were better bundles at the same 1994 timeframe, like Diamond for example... which was just gaming packed along with a 2X CD-ROM and a WSS soundcard. It's also got the obligatory encyclopedia disc too, but this one had PATRICK STEWART so it's better!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

It's especially pathetic when there were better bundles at the same 1994 timeframe, like Diamond for example... which was just gaming packed along with a 2X CD-ROM and a WSS soundcard. It's also got the obligatory encyclopedia disc too, but this one had PATRICK STEWART so it's better!!!

Don't forget, though, that a lot of companies used to use software bundles to help them move hardware that wasn't exactly top of the range. So even though you may have been able to buy something like a SiS6326 video card with 6 full games that were past their sell by dates packed in, it was still a SiS6326 and would suck for a lot of more recent games. The bundled games, because they were older and didn't push the video card very hard, would give you a false impression of what it was capable of.