Topic actions

Reply 80 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
s.mouse wrote:

...copied Phils benchmark pack 1.4...

Don't use Phil's benchmark pack. Use the original DOOM demo and Quake demo versions. For DOOM, run setup.exe first to ensure sound is set to disabled. I have noticed that Phils bench pack results are set to be more demanding than the game defaults.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 81 of 204, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quake benchmarks are Biostar 14.2FPS and Gigabyte 14.6FPS

816B10D9-D8D9-4E02-89D3-57A569224FDA.jpeg
Filename
816B10D9-D8D9-4E02-89D3-57A569224FDA.jpeg
File size
344.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Benchmarks
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 82 of 204, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:
s.mouse wrote:

...copied Phils benchmark pack 1.4...

Don't use Phil's benchmark pack. Use the original DOOM demo and Quake demo versions. For DOOM, run setup.exe first to ensure sound is set to disabled. I have noticed that Phils bench pack results are set to be more demanding than the game defaults.

Even so im using the same benchmark on both systems so they should be running the same test? Despite potentially being more demanding

Reply 83 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd think, but hard to say with certainty. If you have any of the graphics cards I mentioned, then you could at least compare directly with my system. I noted the same Quake score on the Biostar and Gigabyte systems, so...

Reply 84 of 204, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello All, I have a technical question, hopefully someone has the answer/knowledge for this one.
I have this mobo (MB-8433UUD-A VER:2) and I'm running a custom BIOS (2014), I know someone posted it here (sorry I don't know your name, my compliments and gratitude to you!), so, everything seems to work fine, it's one of my favorite mobos, the only mod I did to it is install a socket for the RTC and a CR-32 battery, so I'm a happy camper on that side.

The problem:
I recently got a HardMPU (ISA) board (probably you all know about it) that simulates a MPU-401 to run my MT-32, the thing is, the motherboard is not sending a reset pulse on power-up and the HardMPU is not being initialized/recognized by the system unless I press the reset switch which do sends the reset pulse. I tested it in all my other mobos and they don't have this problem. Has anyone run into this? Any advise in what to look for? bad chips, etc? I traced the +5v "power good" line to the UM8886BF chip but don't know where to go from there, also traced it to the actual reset switch, there are some resistors and caps in between but they seem to be fine. There's a small chip (UM9515-01) that intrigues me that is mounted on a socket, don't know if it has anything to do with this and can't find any info about it. Anyway, I'm not an expert so I don't know anything about this chips.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 85 of 204, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dusko wrote on 2020-04-07, 04:10:

...the thing is, the motherboard is not sending a reset pulse on power-up...

Sounds like this might have been by design. Motherboard makers back in this era didn't work as hard to work the same as other brands, so there would be quirks like this.

Reply 86 of 204, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Samir wrote on 2020-04-07, 10:02:

Sounds like this might have been by design. Motherboard makers back in this era didn't work as hard to work the same as other brands, so there would be quirks like this.

Maybe but I'm not sure about that, don't know if not implementing that was an option for manufacturers even back then. All 3 of my other 486 mobos don't have that issue.

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 87 of 204, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dusko wrote on 2020-04-07, 17:01:
Samir wrote on 2020-04-07, 10:02:

Maybe but I'm not sure about that, don't know if not implementing that was an option for manufacturers even back then. All 3 of my other 486 mobos don't have that issue.

Back then, every motherboard I ever worked with had quirks like this. Nothing was as standard was it was today. It was much hard to build computers back then. Compatibility issues and other gremlins were rampant.

Reply 89 of 204, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-09-02, 12:42:

If I wanted to improve disk performance on this mobo would a SCSI controller and drive help? I’d probably use an external SCSI2SD adapter.

Are you using a driver for the onboard IDE? I just got an MB-8433/40UUC and the DOS um8673.sys triples performance once I tuned it to speed 16.

Reply 90 of 204, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-09-02, 23:18:

If I wanted to improve disk performance on this mobo would a SCSI controller and drive help? I’d probably use an external SCSI2SD adapter.

Are you using a driver for the onboard IDE? I just got an MB-8433/40UUC and the DOS um8673.sys triples performance once I tuned it to speed 16.

I’m only using what comes with Windows 95, will um8673.sys work with windows? Where can I get more info?

Reply 91 of 204, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-09-03, 00:04:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-09-02, 23:18:

I’m only using what comes with Windows 95, will um8673.sys work with windows? Where can I get more info?

If you search for UM8673 or UM8886 (which is what the chip actually is labeled as) there are other drivers out there,including on Vogons Drivers, and one for Win9x. I haven't tried Windows 95 yet though.
I don't think you can use um8673.sys together with the standard Win95 driver as it hooks int13h.

Reply 94 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No standard as far as I know. You can see what I used to test my SCSI2SD in Windows here: Re: SCSI2SD - Comparison of SCSI SD, CF, and HDD performance

There's a few other utility names I used when testing my SSD 860 EVO here: Re: Artex's COVID-19 Pandemic Project - Lenovo T61 Upgrades!

Reply 96 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd also like some conclusion on this topic. I have had 5 of these boards and none of them exhibited this symptom. I have a version 2 setup with my IBM 5x86c-133/2x system now and it plays GLQuake flawlessly with the keyboard/mouse combo. Anyone else?

Reply 97 of 204, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a version 2 with similar issues. It hangs while trying to copy/paste in Windows using mouse plus ctrl key combinations. But it also hangs for example while scrolling in a file opened with DOS editor with no mouse activity involved.

Reply 99 of 204, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah same issues here, I messaged feipoa a while ago about this and we couldn't figure out a solution. Can confirm that the issue persists both on Win95 and pure DOS, no matter the mouse used (I tried 3-4 different mice).