VOGONS

First post, by kohan69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I stumbled upon this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?d … n&product=94990

What really stood out was that it's a "gaming" laptop in 1998.

266MHz is kind weak, but

• 128-bit 3D accelerated graphics with integrated 2 MB video memory
• High-performance 3D graphics

JBL Pro Audio System with Bass Reflex

• Aureal A3D(tm) Interactive 360 o Positional Sound

Does it mean it just has A3D 1.0 software emulation preinstalled? or was there a hardware line I missed (vortex 2 in a laptop!?)

Reply 1 of 3, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you'd define a gaming laptop as one that is capable of running games from the same year, this is certainly not one... 2 MB VRAM is far from what was standard in 1998. You know it's bad when they don't even specify what graphics chip this is supposed to be. The 266 MHz K6 is less of a problem here.

A3D 1.0 and EAX were implemented in software even for most budget chips AFAIK. Nothing special there again.

Reply 2 of 3, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if there were any real gaming laptops from the 90s that were sold primarily to gamers rather than just the business class.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 3, by kohan69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

A3D 1.0 and EAX were implemented in software even for most budget chips AFAIK. Nothing special there again.

That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying, nothing to see here.

My dream of finding a vintae gaming laptop that has vortex 2 a3d is shattered. (apparently there are no pcmcia to pci adapters so i cant have an external sound card)

So gaming laptops only started around 2004 when P4s with geforce4s came out and AMD 64 mobility chips came out with mobos sporting the then-powerful radeon 9600 mobility