VOGONS

Best VLB motherboard for AMD 5x86?

Topic actions

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am attempting to more or less rebuild my 1996 DOS machine, which was based on an AMD 5x86 133 (running at 160) in an ASUS PVI-486SP3 motherboard. I will be using Tseng ET4000/W32p-based VLB video card, a Gravis Ultrasound (ISA), and a DPT SCSI card (ISA). I won't be using any PCI slots, and so I really don't need those on the hard to find 486SP3, though that is a great board with the great SIS chipset.

Given my lack of PCI need, I could go elsewhere for a VLB board that supports the AMD 5x86 133 at 160MHz. Is there a quality VLB/ISA-only board that is of equal or greater "performance," that I should consider?

Thanks.

(I have yet to figure out what I need to do to power the setup and what cases might work...)

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 1 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO you're better off building a Socket 7 machine. For 3D the 5x86 just doesn't cut it and finding decent motherboards isn't easy.

Unless you're dead set and won't change your mind 😁

Why a GUS? GUS suits a 386 more than anything.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 35, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most SiS471 based boards can handle the 5x86 without a problem. Its their last VLB only chipset and most boards have a 1994 era BIOS with LBA HD support. Just avoid anything that looks like a PC Chips M912 with its fake cache.

Reply 3 of 35, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mau1wurf1977,
I am trying to recreate what I had going all those years ago, close to exactly. More about my goal, here:

http://www.bytecellar.com/2013/11/26/setting- … -class-dos-box/

I don't care much about 3D as far as the point of the first 3D accelerators and beyond. I started out with that sort of thing in the upgrade that followed my 5x86 of olde, which was a K6 233 running a Voodoo, then Voodoo 2.

Also, a big part of what I want out of the system is early '90s demoscene productions. There is no audio board better for such demos than the GUS. I may add an SB16 in, as well, in time, for non-demos that might benefit from it.

Thanks.

bp

Reply 4 of 35, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

Most SiS471 based boards can handle the 5x86 without a problem. Its their last VLB only chipset and most boards have a 1994 era BIOS with LBA HD support. Just avoid anything that looks like a PC Chips M912 with its fake cache.

Thanks. Any specific recommendations?

bp

Reply 5 of 35, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Soyo SY-25N, but it lacks a 3.3v voltage regulator (there is a spot for it, but omitted) despite being a Socket 3 board. The SY-25M and SY-25P have 3.3v support however. It also doesn't have a LBA compatible BIOS, but I have seen the board with later revisions that do support it. Its not a flash BIOS though.

Reply 6 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would say the Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 based on the SIS471 chipset (as mentioned earlier)

-PS2 mouse port.
-AMD 5x86 support and 40mhz FSB
-3.3V support
-1MB cache support
-Coin battery
-Really good performance! (see the 486 w/1mb L2 cache in this thread against Socket 5/7 boards)
-LBA HD support

Drawbacks:
-Only 2 VLB ports
-No flash bios

I might be biased as I own this board myself, but I haven't found any other VLB board I would replace it with yet!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 35, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange so 486 vlb motherboards can run a great deal faster then a old pentium system or even a great 486 pci board with same fsb and timings.
Is this because of the 1 mb of cache installed? I can imagine a sis471 would not be faster than a board based on the sis496 chipset.?

I know the choice of an particular vga cards affect these figures greatly.
What would be a good card to run quake on?

Reply 8 of 35, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was surprised to see the cheapo Chaintech 4SLB I have can support 1MB of cache. It is also SiS471 based, but 5v only and doesn't even have a ZIF socket for the CPU.

Reply 9 of 35, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:
Strange so 486 vlb motherboards can run a great deal faster then a old pentium system or even a great 486 pci board with same fs […]
Show full quote

Strange so 486 vlb motherboards can run a great deal faster then a old pentium system or even a great 486 pci board with same fsb and timings.
Is this because of the 1 mb of cache installed? I can imagine a sis471 would not be faster than a board based on the sis496 chipset.?

I know the choice of an particular vga cards affect these figures greatly.
What would be a good card to run quake on?

Well, you can usually run VLB at 40MHz, while PCI is locked at 33MHz. And if you just have video (only) going VLB to the 486-class processor, it's a more direct, tight arrangement than a video card going through PCI hardware. Of course, for non-video situations like HD controllers and such, PCI's bus-mastering is a huge win over VLB. VLB seems an excellent 486 "video hack."

bp

Reply 10 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blakespot said it already. On the Socket 5/7 boards the PCI bus is at 33 mhz when running a Pentium at 100mhz, compared to 40mhz VLB bus when overclocking the Pentium Overdrive to 100mhz. Then again, you are supposed to get worse performance with the Pentium Overdrive compared to a real Pentium system, but this loss is actually quite small in practice, especially if you compare to a 40mhz VLB system and an early Socket 5/7 chipset. You also have to remember that PCI were in its infancy and VLB had matured.

The results on my Asus board is with the Number Nine 9GXE64 S3 Vision 864 2MB card. It is a fast card, but it is said that it can't beat the ET4000/W32P (would love to see some benchmarks). The PCI systems used the Matrox G200 (same DOS performance as the Matrox Millennium) for easier comparison with Feipoa's benchmark.

Reply 12 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaNoZ wrote:

I have 2 et4000w32p's and a w32i i will test again.
Whats the better option opti sis umc or ali on vlb?

As far as I know there haven't been any big benchmark comparisons on the VLB chipsets nor VLB graphics cards. So this is new territory.

Reply 13 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some tests of my available cards. As all my VLB cards didnt want to run at 40mhz FSB, I had to go back to 33.

All tests done with Pentium Overdrive 83mhz, 32MB 60ns FPM RAM, Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (SiS 471)

Number Nine 9GXE64 S3 Vision 864 2MB:
Doom: 48,2 FPS
3DBench 1.0: 83.3
PCPBench 320x200: 22.9 FPS
PCPBench 640x400: 9.6 FPS

ET4000/W32 1MB
Doom: 45 FPS
3DBench 1.0: 76.9
PCPBench 320x200: 22.7 FPS

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 2MB:
Doom: 43 FPS
3DBench 1.0: 71.4
PCPBench 320x200: 21.2 FPS

The last two cards do not have a VESA BIOS, so I didn't bother testing higher resolutions as it would require UNIVBE

Reply 15 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote:

What brand was the Cirrus card? All the 5428s I have encountered have had VBE1.2 support in their ROM.

No idea, probably an OEM card. Picture of one just like it here: http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/599/51/lr … aleDCP_7037.JPG

Reply 16 of 35, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blakespot wrote:
Mau1wurf1977, I am trying to recreate what I had going all those years ago, close to exactly. More about my goal, here: […]
Show full quote

Mau1wurf1977,
I am trying to recreate what I had going all those years ago, close to exactly. More about my goal, here:

http://www.bytecellar.com/2013/11/26/setting- … -class-dos-box/

I don't care much about 3D as far as the point of the first 3D accelerators and beyond. I started out with that sort of thing in the upgrade that followed my 5x86 of olde, which was a K6 233 running a Voodoo, then Voodoo 2.

Also, a big part of what I want out of the system is early '90s demoscene productions. There is no audio board better for such demos than the GUS. I may add an SB16 in, as well, in time, for non-demos that might benefit from it.

Thanks.

bp

Iam with Mau1wurf1977, its indeed very hard to find a decent good 486 motherboard that regonize 3.3volt processors... And if you find one, then its needs a VRM onboard that handles the 3.3volt or 3.45 volt support..Otherwise you need to find an voltage interposer convertor board that lets you uses 3.3volt 3.45volt processors on a 5volt only board.. Both options are hard to find.. And then again, you also need a bios upgrade to regonize the AMD 5x86 - p75 133mhz processors.. Most boards doesnt have the latest bios rom.. Then its very hard to find a plug and play board that you can use without to much trouble.

So my bet its much easier to deal with a socket 7 board with pentium processor on it.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 17 of 35, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AMD 5x86 runs at 3.3v without a problem. There wasn't any 3.45v VRM equipped boards out there. Most motherboards will run it with write back L1 cache enabled even without BIOS support, you just need to jumper the board correctly.

Reply 19 of 35, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

I would say the Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 based on the SIS471 chipset (as mentioned earlier)

+1

I also have this board and consider it the rolls royce of VLB boards, although I did need to upgrade the BIOS to accept the P75 (with help from DonutKing)

vetz wrote:

Drawbacks:
-Only 2 VLB ports

I was under the impression that 2 VLB slots were optimal, and using any more (i.e. having them filled) was detrimental to performance. Some limitation of the VLB architecture? Or am I talking out of my @ss?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.