VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

Got a bunch of ISA controller cards and encountering something weird. The GoldStar (5 cards) and UMC (2 cards) cards all work, but NONE of the Winbond cards.

Now this is odd and likely I'm missing something obvious, maybe a jumper setting but I couldn't find these cards on Jason.org or anywhere else. I assume many of these cards are very similar in terms of how the jumpers work, so maybe someone can help?

Working cards:

U5nxlqGh.jpg

Cards not working (FDD POST error)

PpzJ8lch.jpg

ZCWKeq9h.jpg

srWmUhQh.jpg

8lJ0jlzh.jpg

H4LyfM6h.jpg

P8ejgVQh.jpg

BADM5SQh.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 13, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I've got some jumper settings for Prime 2C. Hope this helps.
THK8hL4s.jpg

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 3 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cards in my gallery are jumpered to the default settings.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 13, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the winbonds are jumpered default to a different ide adress, and therefore a 286 bios does not find any ide controller attached at its different adress.

Reply 5 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

Maybe the winbonds are jumpered default to a different ide adress, and therefore a 286 bios does not find any ide controller attached at its different adress.

That's possible, but where do I start 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a few days ago I discovered my Winbond I/O controller "died". It worked fine 10 month ago. Now it also gives error about FDD and/or HDD controller at POST. 🙁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember frying up a floppy controller (it was a Winbond VLB card) in my 486. I forgot that I was making a backup (using a QIC80 tape drive) and wrote some data to a floppy at the same time.

After that, the floppy controller showed errors every time the computer was cold, but it worked after some time warming up. Maybe some of your cards needs some warming (or not).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a single Winbond card work...

Very odd and too specific to be faulty cards. I'm missing some crucial jumper setting or other bit of key knowledge.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 13, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Phil,
do you remember if in the end you were able to make the winbond cards work?
I'm thinking about getting one for my 486 but after reading this thread I'm not very sure ...

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 10 of 13, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say I had similar results with a couple of these. I used hours to check everything, but there were these 2 card that I couldn't get to work no matter what I tried. Same problem with POST giving FDD/HDD errors.

Reply 11 of 13, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And did you also have others Winbond cards that worked? Or just these two?

The question is if these Winbonds are extremely easy to die or they don't work on some systems...

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 12 of 13, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote on 2013-12-03, 12:03:

Got a bunch of ISA controller cards and encountering something weird. The GoldStar (5 cards) and UMC (2 cards) cards all work, but NONE of the Winbond cards.
Cards not working (FDD POST error)

H4LyfM6h.jpg

I have the same card and cannot boot from it. (have not tried floppy).
I found the Jumper settings here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … -KING-PUZZ.html

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 13 of 13, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I can say is the Winbond "W83757F/AF" chips die very very often. I just replaced 3 of them on 3 different mainboards.
New old stock W83757 are nearly impossible to find today and I think I know why...