VOGONS

FX-3000 motherboard thread

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 76, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have identified this board as "Elitegroup US 3486" on TH99 !
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/E-H/31766.htm

Aslo can anyone send me a BIOS dump from their board ? 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 61 of 76, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I have this motherboard as well, and my BIOS revision is earlier than all the other ones posted on the board, and is dated a few months (09/21/1992) before the one Phil posted (12/17/1992). I'll post it here in case anyone wants it.

Also, a question:
My FX-3000 motherboard doesn't appear to work with any 486 processor.
I've tested 2 different DX2/66s, a DX33, and even an overdrive for the hell of it, and none of them boot.
I've even tried with the other bioses like Phil's and the Mr. Bios version.

Anyone know why this might be? The board doesn't appear to have any damage, and works just fine with a 386 at 33 and 40mhz.

Filename
FX-3000 Bios.zip
File size
41.33 KiB
Downloads
91 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 62 of 76, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have added it here, thank you very much 😀
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2134

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 63 of 76, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DNSDies wrote on 2020-10-31, 00:58:
So, I have this motherboard as well, and my BIOS revision is earlier than all the other ones posted on the board, and is dated a […]
Show full quote

So, I have this motherboard as well, and my BIOS revision is earlier than all the other ones posted on the board, and is dated a few months (09/21/1992) before the one Phil posted (12/17/1992). I'll post it here in case anyone wants it.

Also, a question:
I've tested 2 different DX2/66s, a DX33, and even an overdrive for the hell of it, and none of them boot.

Anyone know why this might be? The board doesn't appear to have any damage, and works just fine with a 386 at 33 and 40mhz.FX-3000 Bios.zip

Did you set the jumpers Jp1, W12 + W13 proper ? Also think you have to have JP2 removed (is only for 387 in the 486 socket) and remove the 386 cpu if you install a 486.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 64 of 76, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup. All the jumpers were set as per the diagram on win3x, and the 386 processor and 387 jumper were both removed.
I'll have to take a close look at the socket or the traces and buzz them all out some day, since it works just fine with a 386, it must be an issues between the 486 socket and the traces going out from it.
I'm in no hurry though, I have better 486 motherboards to play with, and this is really just supposed to be a dedicated 386 system for my collection.

Reply 65 of 76, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DNSDies wrote on 2020-11-01, 05:09:

Yup. All the jumpers were set as per the diagram on win3x, and the 386 processor and 387 jumper were both removed.
I'll have to take a close look at the socket or the traces and buzz them all out some day, since it works just fine with a 386, it must be an issues between the 486 socket and the traces going out from it.
I'm in no hurry though, I have better 486 motherboards to play with, and this is really just supposed to be a dedicated 386 system for my collection.

Ok, it is a nice board. Would be great if you get the 486 part working. The old PGA 486 sockets were bad compared to later ZIF sockets so maybe just bad socket or cold solder...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 66 of 76, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got one of these (with the US 3486 branding) along with the manual. There might be some additional documentation in the manual not floating around already. I may be able to scan/photgraph mine for archive purposes at some point.

It's the same UMC based 3486 board I referenced a few times last year in the 'fastest 486' thread, though I have a bunch of benchmark result photos I never uploaded.

Having the crystal oscillator used for clock generation allows for unusual flexibility and custom FSB speeds, especially in 486 mode (since 386 mode requires double the osc frequency for the same CPU/bus speed). Surprisingly mine seems to run flawlessly at 66.67 MHz when using two Intel 486 DX-50s and one Intel SX-33 I have (yes the SX-33 overclocks to 200%). It tries to POST at 80 MHz, but hangs and I haven't tried anything in the 70-75 MHz range yet. I did use a 100 MHz oscillator to run 50 MHz AM386DX-40s and Cyrix and TI 486DLC-40s at 50 MHz without issue. It also does relatively well with overclocked ISA bus stuff, and with some fiddling I managed to get enough I/O wait states to get my Vibra 16s stable in most/all games while still overclocking the ISA bus for better VGA card performance. (since mine lacks the VLB header, and even if I had it, I'd be extremely surprised if I could get VLB cards running above 50 MHz)

Like the two other 3/486 hybrid boards I have (one OPTI 495SX and one Symphony chipset) and perhaps a fair number of 1990-1992 era socket 1 486 boards, it also has no issue running ST/Cyrix/IBM DX2 CPUs or DX4s even (I have 2 ST 486DX4s I've reserved for these overvolting experiments and have had no problems after many tens of hours of running them at over 120 MHz with heatsink+fan, and up to 144 MHz in this board using 48 MHz bus). Some later boards that are still too old for explicit DX4 support have issues with some or all DX4 CPUs (and 5x86s too, especially Cyrix ones), but these early boards don't seem to have the same issues, aside from overvoltage.

I have one IBM Blue Lightning DX2 that will run at 108 MHz (2x54) in this board as well. I have not rigged up an interposer of any sort to force 2x multiplier on the Cyrix/ST DX4, though, but want to at some point.

The BIOS in mine lacks an option to disable parity, so I need fast 9-bit wide SIMMs to make best use of this board. And even at normal 486 bus speeds, it's the fastest memory performance I've seen out of a 1990 era board. I had to back setting off to slower DRAM and cache timing at the high bus speeds, unsurprisingly, though the DX-50 at 1x66 MHz still had a significant advantage over the DX/2 at 2x33 I tried. (with fastest stable timings for both)

If anyone else could try their boards out with overclocked FSB speeds, that'd be really interesting to see if it's a common feature of these boards (or this chipset) or mine is just exceptional.

I'd already had success running the same two Intel DX50s and an SX33 at 60 and 66 MHz on other board prior, so I knew they could work at such speeds, but was more surprised that a 1990 dated board was capable of it ... with 30 pin SIMM RAM and parity enabled even. (I believe I got some 70 ns SIMMs working too, at slower settings at 66 MHz, but I have some 60 ns sticks that do better: I'd already sorted some of these 60 and 70s sticks during 286 and 386SX overclock testing)

It makes me wonder if higher bus speeds would've been practical/realistic in Socket 1/2/3 boards, at least using select chipsets and board designs and sacrificing VLB performance/compliance (or just supporting much higher wait states on the VLB slots to stay compatible with existing cards).

Note: my previous tests with those CPUs had been with PCI based SiS 496/497 486 boards, and they also undervolted well in those boards (stable 60 MHz at 3.48V, at least with fan cooling, but 66 MHz needed higher voltage for at least one of the DX-50s) Same for the SX-33, except I forget if 66 MHz worked with that at 3.48V ... I want to say all of them did 66 MHz at 3.6V with heatsink and fan. (though using the rated 5V didn't hurt other than make them run hotter)

I don't have a Cyrix DX-50 on hand to try out, either. I do have AMD and Cyrix DX40s I've set aside for later testing. (I've been too busy with other things the last 6-8 months)

Reply 67 of 76, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mine lacks the VLB header

It's one of those early "local bus" slots, which were made before VESA standard was set in stone. Technically it's the same thing, but not electrically compatible.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 68 of 76, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-12, 06:28:

mine lacks the VLB header

It's one of those early "local bus" slots, which were made before VESA standard was set in stone. Technically it's the same thing, but not electrically compatible.

Yeah, good thing I didn't end up with one of the examples with a local bus slot included or I might have shorted something out. (though I've seen an anecdote of non-catastrophic shorting, and the AT power supply I use for testing has a pretty good breaker built in for cutting out hard shorts)

That said, the ISA bus performance and overall memory+cache performance puts this ahead of the VLB-equipped OPTi 495SX based 3486 board I have by a good margin. (and the WB-only cache without dirty bits hurts the already slow DRAM speed a lot on that OPTi board, though I need to go back and see if there's a 7-bit tag RAM option that might enable dirty bits; there's no WT option though; also no way I could find to enable 50 MHz on the 386 socket, not without trying to swap the programmable oscillator with a crystal: there's pads for the latter, but I'm not sure what other components need changing if any)

Reply 69 of 76, by adi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FX-3000 bios
ver 2.0

Attachments

• FX-3000.jpg
    Filename
    FX-3000.jpg
    File size
    980.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    FX-3000_Bios_2.0.zip
    File size
    41.62 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 70 of 76, by gonzo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DNSDies wrote on 2020-10-31, 00:58:
So, I have this motherboard as well, and my BIOS revision is earlier than all the other ones posted on the board, and is dated a […]
Show full quote

Also, a question:

Anyone know why this might be? The board doesn't appear to have any damage, and works just fine with a 386 at 33 and 40mhz.FX-3000 Bios.zip

Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem of no booting with any kind of the listed 486-CPUs. It works only with 386/387-chips.
All jumpers are set correctly; no jumpers are missing; all sockets (386/486) are present on the board ; no visible damages on the board
My board is FX3000, BIOS-Ver 2.0 from 20.10.92

Reply 71 of 76, by gonzo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
adi wrote on 2022-03-16, 11:52:

FX-3000 bios
ver 2.0

adi, if I see correctly, your FX3000-board seems to be exactly like mine (model/brand /revision+ socket-equipment + BIOS-version; except of the RAM-modules and the L2-modules shown in the picture).

I would kindly ask you, if you would test with your own board, if it does work with some of the supported 486-CPU from the list (e.g. on stason, etc.).

Because my board don't like any 486-CPU (see my post above)...

Thank you very much.

Reply 73 of 76, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gonzo wrote on 2023-01-30, 17:19:

Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem of no booting with any kind of the listed 486-CPUs. It works only with 386/387-chips.
All jumpers are set correctly; no jumpers are missing; all sockets (386/486) are present on the board ; no visible damages on the board

You should use 5-Volt 486 CPUs.

Reply 74 of 76, by gonzo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RiP wrote on 2023-02-01, 07:52:
gonzo wrote on 2023-01-30, 17:19:

You should use 5-Volt 486 CPUs.

Yes, of course I use 5 V CPUs, all of them in accordance to the list of the supported CPUs specifically for this board, as shown on "stason".
There is absolutely not any chance to boot with no one of them (although they get warm on startup - I can feel this with my fingers onto the CPUs).
And, of course, they are inserted correctly into the socket...

Reply 75 of 76, by adi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board works just fine with the intel 486 DX2/66

Test configuration:
MB: FX-3000 Rev. 1.0
BIOS: AMI Ver. 2.0 20.10.92
CPU: intel 486 DX2/66 5V
Oscillator: 33 MHz
L2 Cache: 8x 32Kx8, tag 32Kx8
RAM: 8x 1mb

Make sure the processor is correctly oriented in the socket.
For 486 DX 33 or DX2/66 use 33 Mhz crystal oscillator.
Fill all 8 simm sockets with ram sticks.

Attachments

Reply 76 of 76, by gonzo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
adi wrote on 2023-02-01, 12:43:
The board works just fine with the intel 486 DX2/66 […]
Show full quote

The board works just fine with the intel 486 DX2/66

Test configuration:
MB: FX-3000 Rev. 1.0
BIOS: AMI Ver. 2.0 20.10.92
CPU: intel 486 DX2/66 5V
Oscillator: 33 MHz
L2 Cache: 8x 32Kx8, tag 32Kx8
RAM: 8x 1mb

Make sure the processor is correctly oriented in the socket.
For 486 DX 33 or DX2/66 use 33 Mhz crystal oscillator.
Fill all 8 simm sockets with ram sticks.

Thank you, adi, the pictures are perfect!
It's nice to see your system working fine 😀

Sadly, my problems still remain.
I have changed any possible hardware (RAM- and L2-modules; different 486-versions including SL- and non-SL-models; Intel- or AMD-CPUs; different VGAs in different ISA-slots)-nothing helps (the CPUs got warm on startup)...
Switching all jumpers over to 386/387-mode, and anything works fine (regardless of the RAM- and L2-configuration, and using the same VGA in the same slot).
And, I tested some different crystal-oscillators for the main-frequency (even some low-clocked at 25 MHz).

My chipsets are an older version like yours:
UM82C482AF - 9245-UA, and UM82C481BF-9242-US
Not sure, but maybe this older revisions have troubles supporting 486-CPUs?
Or, maybe, the board is damaged, even not visible.

It would be interesting to know, if a Pentium Overdrive does work also with this board, in accordance to this link about another 386/486-combo-board with an OPTi-chipset:
https://dependency-injection.com/pentium-on-a … 86-motherboard/