VOGONS

First post, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, sorry for my endless thread making. But I really need to know what motherboards will 100%, no-BS run a Voodoo5 5500 AGP.

I am scared as hell using one in a "Universal" or 4x AGP slot. As manufacturers don't seem to stipulate full 3.3v 2x compliance (but rather show how "new" it is with 1.5v 4x) And boards with a 2x slot don't have the CPU horsepower available to drive it. I do not want to ruin my V5 under any circumstances.

The only board that stands out for me is the GA-7IXE4, Socket 462 & AMD751 chipset. But they seem to be incredibly hard to find. So is there any "universal" 462 boards out there that will safely run a V5?

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 1 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an ABIT KT7A (v1.2) running an Athlon 1400 and an AGP Voodoo 5 5500. No problems.

I've got another ABIT KT7A (v1.3) that didn't like working with AGP Voodoo 5 5500s. I tried two different AGP V5s in this system and neither worked right. The cards were definitely good and worked fine in other systems. I had to switch to a PCI V5 in that system and now I use it along with an AGP FX5950 Ultra. This configuration works well, but I still don't understand why I couldn't get an AGP V5 working. I've read accounts of other KT7A v1.3 users with AGP V5 cards that had no problems at all. Maybe mine is just cursed or something.

Anyway, I can vouch for the KT7A v1.2 working fine with an AGP 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500.

Reply 3 of 7, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

Epox 8K3A+ is the one you want.

Are you sure? I heard that CPU caps on these are of very poor quality. Aside from that, is there options in the BIOS to manually set AGP voltage & speed?

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 4 of 7, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can replace the caps or have them replaced by someone else. I assume it has auto-detection for voltage and manual settings. If you're really worried about the voltage, put a pci card in first then check the bios.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much any AMD chipset is safe and most of the VIA are also safe except for the late models. There are a handful of 478 boards with sis chipsets that have 3.3v support but have issues with the V5 6000.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no problem with my AGP Voodoo 5 in my Asus P3B-F v1.03 (440BX chipset) with a Pentium III Tualatin 1.4ghz.

Dunno if you think that is a quick enough CPU for the Voodoo 5.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I run one on a MSI KT3 Ultra2 which is KT333. KT333 is the fastest Socket A chipset you can use, but from what I've read some KT333 are actually relabeled KT400 and will not work with 3.3v cards.

KT3 Ultra2 fully recognizes my Athlon XP-M 2500+ too. It surprised me at least.