VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here my problem. I have an older 300mhz Pentium II as well as a 450mhz Pentium II but just the chip/pcb whatever its called all caseless. I figured I'd just swap cases and stick the 450mhz into the 300mhz case rather then shell out another $13 - $15 for a 450mhz P2.

question is how do you open these things? I don't see any screws and I don't want to break it.

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That links show a Pentium III. A pentium II SECC1 cartridge is more difficult. I once tried to open a Pentium II 333, and succeeded. It required a lot of force to unplug these metal rods from the metal backplate, and I am not sure if the package is still OK to put back together.
Instead I adapted more modern Pentium III heatsink to fit the inner CPU card. But then I did have to convenience of a mill to machine the necessary adjustments to this Pentium III heatsink.

Note that the Pentium II 400 intruduced a slightly different backplate with two L2 cache cooling pads. Not sure if the 450 model would require these pads too. Since my 333 Model had 200 MHz cache modules, I added these cooling pads myself. Then it basically became just as 400MHz capable.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a P2 450 my self and noticed the difference right away compared to older P2s, first there is no ihs and the mid plate is different from the older models so scrapping a old P2 won't do any good. Instead you need to scrap a P3 for the plastic back and the cooler with clip.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are pentium II 450's with SECC-1 and others with SECC-2 cartridge.
for example:
SL2U7 450 100 512 SECC 3.00
SL358 450 100 512 SECC2

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

hmmm, it would probably be less hassle to spend the $10 or so and by a complete 450mhz P2.

^This. Slot 1 CPU's are still cheap enough that there's not much reason to fool around with overclocking slower models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-SL2U7-Pentium-I … =item1e81f0a84f

450mhz for $8.99 shipped. Why risk ruining a CPU or injuries to your hands and fingers trying to force open the case on another CPU?

I was going to buy a Goldenfingers device for slot A Athlons at one point, the use of which involves cracking open the case, but I found 950mhz models of both the K7 and T-bird variants cheaply enough so a Goldenfingers no longer made any sense.