VOGONS

Older PC games on Win8 tablets

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's one sweet little tablet - very fast and not terribly expensive if you find it on sale. Of course I've been curious about how the new Baytrail Atom runs old 3D games... I also ran some 3DMark runs and compared to results I have stored on Futuremark's site. Look at how this handheld fan-less SOC compares to the game furnaces of old.

3DMark05                 Atom Z3740D    Athlon XP @ 2.5 GHz
(6600GT 500/600)
3DMarks 3295 3997
GT1 Return to Proxycon 14.6 fps 16.7 fps
GT2 Firefly Forest 10.5 fps 11.7 fps
GT3 Canyon Flight 14.9 fps 20.9 fps
CPU Score 8473 3803
CPU1 15.13 fps 11.72 fps
CPU2 26.22 fps 21.72 fps

3DMark03 Atom Z3740D Core 2 E4400
(Radeon 9800 Pro)
3DMarks 4862.0 7646.0
GT1 Wings of Fury 107.1 fps 249.6 fps
GT2 Battle of Proxycon 35.1 fps 50.1 fps
GT3 Troll's Lair 30.5 fps 44.9 fps
GT4 Mother Nature 34.8 fps 48.0 fps
CPU Score 919.0 marks 1091.0 marks
CPU 1 75.4 fps 134.8 fps
CPU 2 20.9 fps 17.2 fps
Fill Rate (Single Tex) 829.0 tx/s 1741.8 tx/s
Fill Rate (Multi Tex) 2156.9 tx/s 2945.6 tx/s
Vertex Shader 33.9 fps 26.5 fps
Pixel Shader 2.0 44.2 fps 59.4 fps
Ragtroll 25.1 fps 25.2 fps

From the results of the benchmarks and some game experiences, it seems to perform not unlike a Radeon 9700 or some such. It does relatively better with more complex scenes.

CPU power is surprising but remember it is a quad core and the CPU tests seem to benefit somewhat from more cores. Still, it has amazing CPU performance I think. All of this in under 5W power consumption.

Reply 2 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Nice! Are you able to hook it up to a larger screen?

It can use a wireless display tech called Miracast but I haven't looked into it. I really only care to use it as a tablet.

Actually I am mostly experimenting with turn-based, RTS and adventure games on it. Any games that primarily use mouse control can work extremely well. For example, Master of Orion 2 and Blade Runner play perfectly.

Reply 4 of 31, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally I really don't give a damn about tablets, but I have to admit... the thought of playing MoO2, HoMM on the go like this sounds interesting, and then even multiplayer 😀

RTS games may be where its usefulness ends though... from what I've heard it detects a right click when holding the finger down for a while, which sounds too cumbersome and delayed for games requiring this all the time.

Reply 5 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right click is tricky in RTS yes. So is map scrolling. Still, I have beaten a few Tiberium Sun missions.

I think Total Annihilation will be quite playable. It uses left click. Drag-selecting works perfectly too. These combined with VirtualGamepad for map scrolling, shift key (queuing), and a few hotkeys should make it very playable. I am waiting on the VG developers to add a locking button so I can set up a locking shift for queuing. Coming soon.
http://palmtime.net/virtualgamepad/

Reply 6 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Private_Ops wrote:

Not exactly. Avoton uses the same CPU architecture but has no IGP. It is intended for servers. That board actually has a basic discrete GPU.

Reply 8 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

this only further proves how good of a CPU the Athlon XP is and how usable it can still be.

Actually I think it shows how vastly far we have come when a SOC on a <5W max budget has a quad core CPU and a GPU that can rival a ~70W Athlon XP with a ~60W GPU!

Reply 10 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

All that for only $299. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Got it for $210. They have been on sale occasionally lately. $200 is the point I start considering a tablet and the ability to run any Windows app is so much nicer than Android and Apple options.

Reply 11 of 31, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since we are talking about gaming here, you really can't beat a Vita for $200 as far as the current devices go. Buttons > x86 compatibility for the games that you'd usually play on the go. Now if they'd just finally hack that thing 🙁

Reply 12 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

Since we are talking about gaming here, you really can't beat a Vita for $200 as far as the current devices go. Buttons > x86 compatibility for the games that you'd usually play on the go. Now if they'd just finally hack that thing 🙁

Maybe. I haven't done portable gaming like that since Gameboy. I have tried PSP, Vita, 3DS, DS, etc. Not into the console games much and can't stand the miniature screens. I love being able to do PDFs, CBZs, web, email and the occasional real PC game though. I'm posting from it right now. I probably spend most of my VOGONS time behind a tablet for that matter! I'm probably alone on this 🤣

Reply 13 of 31, by truth_deleted

User metadata

The Venue Pro could be used with a mouse and keyboard, it's an impressive tablet. Its rival, the Toshiba Encore, is generally higher priced but includes HDMI out. The CPU/GPU performance is excellent in this Bay Trail line, and seems to be the first "miniaturized system" which supports fairly modern Windows games (to 2006 or so). The previous Atom chipsets had worse GPU performance, sometimes a result of the driver which caused a host of compatibility problems.

Another great advantage of these Windows USB-enabled tablets is that inexpensive gamepads will work. On Android, there are more limited options and the configuration of keys is not so well established. Also, an existing PC gamepad can be used with the Windows tablet, saving $40 typically.

The desktop has already lost much ground to the laptops. I still prefer desktops, but I could see these tablets coupled with "adapters" to replace the desktop computer. 😀

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2013-12-19, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truth5678 wrote:

The Venue Pro could be used with a mouse and keyboard, it's an impressive tablet..

The desktop has already lost much ground to the laptops. I still prefer desktops, but I could see these tablets coupled with "adapters" to replace the desktop computer. 😀

Yup you can go bluetooth or get a USB OTG dongle and run any USB device. Unfortunately you can't easily charge if using the USB port though and that is dumb.

Indeed the PC landscape is changing. Most people are satisfied by Core 2 level power and Baytrail isn't far off of that. Few people seem to consider desktops anymore. Laptops are the main choice. Tablets with wireless peripherals are becoming a new and surprisingly adequate choice.

Reply 15 of 31, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of sites nowadays are darn slow even on >4 GHz desktop CPUs that it can't be any worse on some tablet honestly 🤣 and if one happens to be one of the about 1% who are still using Firefox, it'll also have less RAM to waste via memory leaks than on a PC 😀

Reply 16 of 31, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Yes, I was thinking the same about the peripherals and was editing the prior post. 😀 It's a cost saver to use existing x86 devices. I agree, too, that the Core 2 level power with the decent GPU is a critical advance (especially for PC gaming). I resisted the laptop because of the keyboard and the attached display; also, I thought the desktop would be super-reliable. However, I would think a well constructed tablet should be even more reliable than the best constructed desktops, given no moving parts (and that the solid state electronics proves as hardy in other situations). Perhaps the lower power requirements allows for longer life of parts, too - I don't know much about this factor yet.

Reply 17 of 31, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's not turn this into a tablet vs. Laptop vs. desktop thread 😀 unless the OP doesn't mind of course 😉

The biggest issue for RTS on a tablet for me would be the ability to group units and assign shortcuts to fast group switching.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 18 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Controlling an RTS is definitely tricky. The worst issues are map navigation and any right clicking. The most playable game I've found is Total Annihilation because it primarily uses left click. However, TA needs the Shift key for queuing. The solution is VirtualGamepad, once they add support for a locking button so Shift can be toggled. VirtualGamepad also supports an on screen dpad of course which makes map navigation easy. Modifier key combos are also coming soon so on screen buttons for complex hotkeys will work as well.

http://palmtime.net/virtualgamepad/

Reply 19 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not bad and wonder how my HP elitebook 2730p that I bought for just $10 stacks up against this, C2D sl9400 with gm45/gs45. Atoms were never fast and unthinkable for gaming except for a few with the Nvidia Ion but pointless when cheap c2d laptops can be had for the price of a chicken.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.