VOGONS

A tale of two PSUs

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the person doing "mmmmhhhh" and "aaahhh" on the background of the antec comparison, he wins the internet 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 472, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the days of hot Athlons being fed through low voltages I've had a habit of buying Enermax units for the computers at work (if the budget allowed it).
Most of these still work, but they are useless for powering modern machines, so I kept a few for my retro rigs:

Enermax_PSU_00.JPG
Enermax_PSU_01.JPG
Enermax_PSU_02.JPG
Enermax_PSU_03.JPG
Enermax_PSU_04.JPG
Enermax_PSU_05.JPG

The pics are from a 465W (ATX12V ver. 1.2) model, this was shortly before power was moved to the 12V rail(s) and the -5V rail started to vanish.

@TELVM: Thanks for explaining PSU designs, I'm sure many of us learned a lot in this thread 😀

Reply 42 of 472, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My pleasure 🤣 . ^ That Enermax looks well built. Decent input filtering with a MOV. APFC with a fine Rubycon bulk cap. Decent thick heatsinks & main trafo. Well sized caps & robust PI coils on output.

Just two details, there is a cement resistor close to the trafos:

i911530_CementResistor.png

^ These things get very hot (that's why they put a heat isolator between it and the trafos, the 'V' shaped thing in top view). And the fan looks cheap and tired after a decade. If the fan seizes, the PSU cooks itself and dies. A fresh decent fan wouldn't harm (if we cut-off the grill behind the fan, even better).

Also I see a lot of PCE-TUR caps, which is a suspicious brand. I wouldn't trust them after a decade.

Let the air flow!

Reply 43 of 472, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info about the cement resistor, I already wondered what that was. Fortunately this PSU has a decent 92mm fan in the lid, so the resistor (and the transformators in the cramped middle part of the PSU) should get enough air flow.
You're right about the 80mm fan on the back though, I've had to replace these on several PSUs (they start to make very annoying noises when failing).
The PCE-TU(R/L) caps seem to be common in Enermax PSUs. To be honest, I expected something with a better reputation considering the price of these PSUs (~100 € when they were new).
One more question: What is on the vertical PCB shown in the fifth picture? Is it part of an active PFC circuit or something different?

Reply 44 of 472, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

... Fortunately this PSU has a decent 92mm fan in the lid ...

Excellent, having two fans in the PSU improves cooling and reliability a lot. Fans in series increase the static pressure, which helps moving more air thru the cramped and aerodynamically restrictive innards of a PSU.

IMHO the best cooling solution for a PSU is two fans enfilading the heatsinks:

Myth4_clip_image002_0000.png

5u3 wrote:

... The PCE-TU(R/L) caps seem to be common in Enermax PSUs. To be honest, I expected something with a better reputation considering the price of these PSUs (~100 € when they were new) ...

Yep, makes no sense placing a top-notch Rubycon at the primary and then suspicious caps at the secondary. One can understand finding Teapos in unexpensive entry PSUs (you get what you pay after all), but things like those all-Fuhjyyu SmartPowers of the past, or finding CrapXons inside a $200 760i make little sense.

5u3 wrote:

... One more question: What is on the vertical PCB shown in the fifth picture? Is it part of an active PFC circuit or something different?

Yep that's the APFC circuit, the controller is a UCC3817 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 45 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

time to get another opinion from TELVM 🤣

What do you think of this AT psu? I don't see much input filtering and it appears that the 125/230v switch on the back is functional on this one...

th_Cimg1915_zpsffb9e230.jpg th_Cimg1914_zpsf29520f9.jpg th_Cimg1921_zps7baf7049.jpg th_Cimg1919_zps05760187.jpg

th_Cimg1917_zps94b804e6.jpg th_Cimg1923_zpsfa6e9ea3.jpg th_Cimg1922_zpsbd66e5f9.jpg th_Cimg1918_zps0b7ec7f3.jpg

edit:
in case this is a good psu, how about adding this filtering to the input?

th_IMG03244-20140123-1312_zpsceeedc82.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 46 of 472, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks a bit cheap but there is always room for improvement. The transient filtering is lame, would be a good idea to use the real choke, X-cap and Y-caps from that daughterboard if you can shoehorn them in. Input caps are good Rubys, but don't trust the cheap brands in the output after two decades, better recap them.

Let the air flow!

Reply 47 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thought so, I'll put is aside for when I get a stock of quality caps... plenty of room for the extra filtering board 😀
thanks TELVM!

Reply 48 of 472, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I was "gifted" this Enermax 300W power supply by an old college classmate back in early November, and would like to know if it's OK to use it in my Socket 7 build; the generic PSU I'm using right now is over a decade old and showing signs of age - time to replace it.

g7fGXm2t.png KnhrdmWt.png sUAbjZct.png GKefLUwt.png ppiQyNTt.png

Vge1Ejit.png N60VsoMt.png Z9nqUIFt.png z3HiQRot.png Z0Aimwzt.png

6I4Ho90t.png nxrb82zt.png xEE8EQCt.png UWPheBVt.png Z4jv8qDt.png

yNgZvhet.png 6oQ81got.png RaRKvsJt.png

(Sorry about the wall of pics, just trying to give as much detail as possible 😅 )

If everything looks good and proper then I'll use it; if not, then I'll just send it to the recycling center (my soldering skills are horrible and I don't know anyone around that can fix old PSUs like this).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 49 of 472, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got the EG301P-VE

Those PCE-TUR capacitors need to be replaced before you can use it. Don't chuck it, because you'll probably need the -5V voltage rail which newer PSUs lack, so if you can't re-cap it yourself, get someone to do it for you.

I think I have a list of the caps that need to be replaced somewhere around here. Let me know if you're interested, and I can give you a list of what parts you'd need from Digikey.

Reply 51 of 472, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Thank you mockingbird & TELVM, I'll just keep it in my spare parts box with a "must re-cap first" label until I can find someone that can do the job. I would also appreciate it if you can send me the parts list mockingbird, to keep it along with the Enermax.

In the meantime, will the SeaSonic SS-300ES be a good one to use?

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 52 of 472, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

... In the meantime, will the SeaSonic SS-300ES be a good one to use?

Sure, plenty enough for a SS7 system. Can't find pics of the 300's guts, but if this SS-500ES ain't much different:

IMG_12.jpg
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto … %2F%3Flang%3Dru

It looks decent enough for a retrocomp. The output caps could be better but at least they'll be fresh.

Very interestingly they took readings of components' temps (in ºC):

temp.jpg

^ The various inductors and the transformer are the hottest spots. Notice also the bridge rectifier temp ('41'), it would be hotter without a heatsink.

Let the air flow!

Reply 55 of 472, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yes, it doesn't have -5V. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice: either use a well-known brand modern ATX PSU without it, or use one that has it from a brand I don't recognize (Startech, Apevia) or has a bad reputation (Coolmax). And finding one on eBay is a crap shoot as well. I'll simply take my chances with the SeaSonic (thanks for the concern, though).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 57 of 472, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I misspoke... I just checked my Delta NPS-250KB (manufacture date of the 18th week of 2002), and it does not have the -5V rail.

My Enermax does though, and the PCB is very similar to yours.

Reply 58 of 472, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Well mockingbird, after reading this thread here, I've changed my mind and decided to order the Startech ATXPOWER300 PSU (the specs can be found here). I'm hoping it is similar in build to their AT power supplies. Also, if possible, I'll open it and take some pics as soon as I get it. I'm also still looking for someone local that can do the re-capping of my Enermax EG301P-VB.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 59 of 472, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

No problem, the SS-300FS has a 30A +5V rectifier of TO-247 size, beefier than typical TO-220s. It can handle any Athlon Classic you throw at it 😎

I have a few of these Seasonic PSUs now and used one in an Athlon 64 3000 / Radeon 9800 Pro build... do you think it's up to it or will the 12v load be too much? Thanks and sorry for necropost 😀