VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I got lucky! As I was walking by the dumpster, I saw a bag filled with mobos! There were:

1) Intel PD440FX, 100% working, as good as new, although no plastic CPU holders;
2) ASUS CUBX-L, no BIOS chip, no damage as far as I can see;
3) ASUS CUSI-M, 100% working, no damage;
4) 2 brandless 440LX motherboards, no BIOS chips. I removed the plastic CPU holders from them to use in PD440FX and left them at the garage;
5) 2 brandless 440GX motherboards, no BIOS chips; left at the garage;
6) 1 brandless i810 board, broken socket. I stripped the board clean and left it where I found it.

The previous owner, whoever he is, removed all the DIP28 BIOS chips, as if they were useful in any semi-modern PC. I'm happy PD440FX has Bios soldered in and CUSI-M as well. However, CUBX-L does not, and I have no motherboard with DIP-28 socket to reflash the only DIP-28 Flash ROM I have 🙁 However, such boards are not hard to find and I look forward to get CUBX-L up and running one day, by the time I grow tired of my PC-300PL.

Also, today at work I received a PII-333 Mhz, an ideal CPU for PD440FX, as a gift! It was unexpected and made me very happy! The chip has no heatsink, which is not a problem with the old cartridge design, and a sticker dated 2000, the Athlon era. Makes it even more interesting.

Now, to the pictures:

P1020813.JPG
PD440FX and CUBX-L. CUBX-L has an empty Flash ROM and a Celeron 466 CPU installed, both in order to prevent pins from bending.

P1020820.JPG
CUSI-M

P1020817.JPG
PD440FX has YMF715 onboard sound featuring two(!) wavetable connectors.

P1020818.JPG
All praise intel flash ROM! If only this tiny chip was socketed, I would have no luck starting the board. btw, I've seen these inside ADSL modems and routers, but it's the first time a chip of this form-factor appears on a motherboard, at least to my memory.

P1020810.JPG
The stuff mounted on a testbench with Matrox Millenium II 4Mb videocard. All works fine, although I did not try to boot from anything yet.

Now, if you're not tired of my blatter, here are some questions:

1) How do I know if I need a PSU with -5V for YMF715 to work?
2) What wavetables are these headers for?
P1020824.JPG P1020826.JPG
3) How good is YMF715? Is it much different from YMF 718/719?
4) If I plan to make this a DOS machine, what videocard would you recommend? I have S3 Trio 32/64V+/3D, Matrox Millenium II, Matrox Mystique (currently inside Pentium rig) and a chance to get Ati Mach64 for $1, maybe something else, I can't remember :\ I've been trying to get ET6000 twice this year, both sellers disappeared shortly after my inquiry...

And that's all for today. Thanks for reading 😀

btw, both PD440FX and PI-333 were made in Ireland... What are the odds?

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2013-12-23, 16:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! 😁

RacoonRider wrote:

The previous owner, whoever he is, removed all the DIP28 BIOS chips, as if they were useful in any semi-modern PC

I find them quite useful for various electronics projects, like rewritable cartridges for ROM cart based systems and quick & dirty audio players (just add a timing source, some binary counters, a resistor dac and an audio amp) which is why when I dispose of dead motherboards, expansion cards or peripherals I pull out all of their EPROM or Flash chips first.

That reminded me when years ago I bought a video card from a member at a local computing forum, he offered to throw in a bunch of working old motherboards and ISA cards for free to which I said "Sure!". Surely they all worked, but none of them had any BIOS chips. 🤣

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 8, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That i810 motherboard would have been garbage even if the socket were intact. Terrible, terrible chipset.

My understanding is that the YMF715 is practically identical to the YMF719. You can use the same drivers.

Reply 3 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

The previous owner, whoever he is, removed all the DIP28 BIOS chips, as if they were useful in any semi-modern PC

That reminded me when years ago I bought a video card from a member at a local computing forum, he offered to throw in a bunch of working old motherboards and ISA cards for free to which I said "Sure!". Surely they all worked, but none of them had any BIOS chips. 🤣

What on earth do you think these guys are thinking, that the BIOS holds personal information? I don't get it. 😕

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kokornov wrote:

According to datasheet ( http://alsa.cybermirror.org/manuals/yamaha/YMF715.PDF ) YMF715 doesn't require -5V power supply.

That's interesting! I used a tester to check out connections between YMF715 and -5v rail on the ATX connector and found about 5... Sounds more like GND, perhaps I am doing it wrong. I'll check this out again, in case I picked the wrong ATX pin.

Reply 7 of 8, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

4) If I plan to make this a DOS machine, what videocard would you recommend? I have S3 Trio 32/64V+/3D, Matrox Millenium II, Matrox Mystique (currently inside Pentium rig) and a chance to get Ati Mach64 for $1, maybe something else, I can't remember :\ I've been trying to get ET6000 twice this year, both sellers disappeared shortly after my inquiry...

Trio 64V+ if you are going for maximum compatibility. Trio 32 should be slower, Trio3D is probably faster and offers similar compatibility.
The Matrox cards will give a clearer image and possibly more speed then the 64V+, but according to Gona's list they are less compatible. The Mystique has some games ported for its 3D acceleration if you are into that (didn't check how many of those games are DOS or Windows).
I don't think a Mach64 would have any advantages here.

Reply 8 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered 2 50x50x20 fans from China, they took 3 months to arrive 😁

My custom CPU cooling solution includes 2 Socket 370 heatsinks + 2 high-profile 50x50 fans. They move A LOT of air!
P1020918.JPG
I went for Millenium II video card, Diamond Monster M80 sound card with 2MB wavetable in addition to YMF715 already onboard.
P1020921.JPG