VOGONS

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to get a couple of mvp3 boards lately,a PCChips M577 and a Soyo 5EHM v1.0 and i want to run some test and compare them to my Jetway 542C which has the Alladin 5 chipset,in order to see which of the 2 chipsets has better performance and use that one for my SS7 build.
The Alladin 5 chipset will have the advantage of using udma 66,while both mvp3 boards only support udma 33.

For 3d performance i,ll be using games and 3d mark,but i don't know what benchmarks to use in order to test memory transfer speed,cache speed etc.,can anyone make some suggestions?

Reply 1 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The usual...

For DOS:
Speedsys (CPU, Cache, Memory, VGA speed)
3dbench (CPU,VGA)
PCPlayer for DOS (different VGA/VESA modes)
Dooms timedemo
Quake timedemo
Vspeed (vga)

Quake3 TImedemo
PCPlayer DirectX
Aida64 (CPU,Mem, Cache, HDD)

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also suggest Sandra for win9x benchmarks
I'm a fan of the MVP-3 chipset, been working with a HOT-591p for several years now and I'm very satisfied with it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm just saying, for Windows a BX440 platform is more stable, faster and easier to work with 😀

3dmark is a good benchmark. Also look out for games that have built-in benchmarks. You can look through old reviews and see what tests they used. ID games always had some timedemo built in.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never had stability issues with Aladdin V. MVP3 on the other hand, didn't like my K62/500 very much. Conversely I ran an M2 366gp without as many problems.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 6 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i always suggest superpi for cpu benchmark, 3dmark and quake2/3 for actual gaming benchmark. unreal would do too.
while ali5 has superb memory performance, i have to accept that mvp3's large onboard cache actually has more advantage.
ali5's agp compatibility in win2000 is also terrible, all drivers and utilities just do no help, and i guess they are for win98 only. mvp3 also has some compatibility issues but they can be fixed with the 4in1 driver, and now it goes very well in win2000, with many 3d cards tested, or maybe its just my board(tmc ti5vgf).