VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This always puzzled me.

The newer (are the ATA 66?) IDE cables have more wires and one of the pins on the IDE plug is solid. On the motherboards that pin is also missing.

This is an issue if you want to use new cables with old gear.

You can either clip off the pin on the motherboard or controller card, but how can you drill the hole into the shut pin?

Here is an image of what I mean:

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/ide-ribbon.jpg

I'm sure someone else solved this problem...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have enough old IDE cables, but the problem is the same f.e. if you try to plug a new VGA cable with DDC pins (all pins present) to an older VGA card.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 18, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, just drill the hole out. Even some 40 wire cables have the same thing.

Just don't get me started on FDD cables 😒

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 4 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be nice if they could at least agree on what side of the connector the connector keying (not the missing hole/pin) should be on.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 18, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just make a new hole using an exacto knife and not just for IDE cables. Just stick the pointy end where the hole should be and turn until happy. Works every time 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I make these holes with a hot needle. Piece of cake. Drilling is way more complex. Just use the pliers to hold the needle over the fire for some seconds until it's red and go on.

Reply 7 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I like that method 😀

Will try it tomorrow.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My method is also the needle... a simple, cold needle, driven to the heart of that bastard connector with brute manual force. Cursing the creators of idiot standards during the process also alleviates the pain you feel (in your mind and hand as well)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 10 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

I make these holes with a hot needle. Piece of cake. Drilling is way more complex. Just use the pliers to hold the needle over the fire for some seconds until it's red and go on.

Quite similarly... I use a paper clip and a lighter. It takes like 2 seconds 😎

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I had a look this morning. Turns out that the hole isn't entirely solid, just the top bit is covered. You just push it into the IDE port with a bit of force and it pierces it 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIDEO:

New IDE cables on old IDE devices

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not to me. In the beginning, a few manufacturers like ASUS chose all-the-way blocking, but the last (de)generation of IDE cables, especially the cheap ones, only have a tiny plastic cap.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 15 of 18, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the pin 20 key (blocked hole) is there to prevent you from plugging the cable in the wrong way as many devices and motherboards do not have a connector socket but just bare pins instead... you can safely cut pin 20 as it usually does nothing... only very few controllers and devices makes use of pin 20, which is just a 5 volt source I believe

Reply 16 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never thought it to be difficult to confuse how you hook up the cable, since the color stripped wire on the IDE cables usually goes for pin 1. Unless something's unmarked then I suppose it gets confusing. 😦

Reply 17 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ReeseRiverson, it's not that difficult for stupid people:)

TheMAN, I don't see the problem, I've never heard of a device being broken that way.

What freaks me out is this: These people keep changing cables and connectors every single year for no good reason. Why the hell don't they make this freaking 4-pin power molex a little easier to detach? WHY? I don't remember how many times I couldn't detach it without a flat screwdriver, a friend of mine even torn apart the freaking cable trying to pull the molex out. It was a crappy PSU with thin wires, but still.

Reply 18 of 18, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no, devices don't get damaged if you plugged the cable in backwards, but they just don't work and it's always a PITA to reach in and flip them around the correct way if it's a rat's nest in there
not all devices label pin 1 nor is it easy to tell where pin 1 is... the blocked hole is a great savior when the tab on the cable connector does nothing