VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've decided to nab my motherboard, which the numbers are 'P6FX1-A Rev 1.2', with an Intel Pentium Pro at 200MHz. With 32MB of RAM installed. I have my ATI Rage LT Pro PCI card installed. It had been well over 5 years since I last ran this board, which was out of a system that ran Windows 95. Had 16MB of a Compaq labeled RAM. POSTS fine and dandy, and boots from the floppy no problem. Load up the setup from Windows 95 disc I have, and after the setup on the CD does its thing... I enter the world of pain. 😦

Windows tries to load up for the first time, but I end up getting a "Fatal Exception 0E has occured at 2028:C00276E6". 😒

I've tried a few different harddrives and IDE cables. Just to rule them out... unless I have a case of bad luck with a bunch of bad drives, but I am not sure what to think at this point.

I would like to run Windows 95 on this machine since I already have a couple of machines running Windows 98SE. Then a few running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. I suppose I may try Windows 98 for grins and giggles to see if it has difficulty but I can't seem to figure this one out. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 12, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When it ran fine 5 years ago, it had 16MiB of memory and now 32?

If you added an additional 16MiB remove it, see what happens. If you replaced 16MiB with 32MiB, switch back, see what happens.

Could be 32MiB is unsopported or the new mem is busted.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I upgraded the RAM, but I can take it back down.

Though I am curious, could a bad optical drive cause issues? I can't test for sure until I get home at the moment, but the drive in it had some issues working nicely with my MS-DOS drivers compared to another drive in my other system.

Reply 3 of 12, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, a multitude of reasons could be behind this. Its just a matter of using the process of elimination.

And yes a faulty optical drive could be behind it. I was tearing my hair out once with an XP install failing. Turned out to be the CD drive.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 4 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm done ripping my hair out now. 🤣

I done a lot... different optical drives... different harddrives... different IDE cables... different RAM... removal of ALL add-in cards but the GPU... different GPU.... and my OTHER Windows 95 CD (This one has USB Support, but this board doesn't have USB).... and then I just said heck with it, and hit "Load Bios Defaults" or whatever...

Then tried my install again... and holy crap, Windows 95 booted after a fresh install and I'm finally seeing the desktop screen! 😁

I'm gonna guess maybe the BIOS was to blame... but since I tried different RAM and stuff at the same time as the BIOS reset, I can't be 100% sure. 🤣

Reply 5 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished a Windows 95 install on a Gateway G6-333 Pentium II. Talk about a pain in the butt. Ended up successful using Windows 95 OSR2.5. Had to take out all cards. Which was only a Voodoo 2 but after many hours we are looking at a working Pentium II Win95 PC. It gets added to the shelf with the others.

Reply 6 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rodimus80 wrote:

I just finished a Windows 95 install on a Gateway G6-333 Pentium II. Talk about a pain in the butt. Ended up successful using Windows 95 OSR2.5. Had to take out all cards. Which was only a Voodoo 2 but after many hours we are looking at a working Pentium II Win95 PC. It gets added to the shelf with the others.

How do you find out which version of Windows 95 is on the disc? I have two, and the only markings between the two are is only one says "With USB Support" marked under Windows 95.

But glad to hear you got it going successfully! I'm considering putting a Voodoo 3DFX card of sorts in mine too. 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's why I stick with MS-DOS 😀

Hehehe, well, quite understandable. Though I would like to have various systems, even for Windows 9x games. 😀

leileilol wrote:

"With USB support" would mean Win95C, the November 1997 OEM release.

Oh cool, Thank You for that bit of information! Good to know this!

I'm also debating whether or not to install my Windows 95 Plus onto it. 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 95 is a nightmare? Sounds like it's working as designed.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium