VOGONS

First post, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For posterity, since I didn't find this answer anywhere when I looked for it.

Problem experienced with GUS Classic v2.4: In Duke Nukem 3D, the music sounds fine but sound effects are full of crackle.

Filename
Duke3D.mp3
File size
2.29 MiB
Downloads
63 downloads
File comment
Sample of crackling sound effects
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Solution: Reduce mixing rate to 22 Khz in setup, and like magic the problem goes away.

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 1 of 2, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember this problem happening to me on my dad's old Toshiba but that was running a soundblaster 16... I never did figure out why it happened.

Most of Duke3D's sounds are in 8000 hz sampling rates, only a few are ever ~22050 hz. You're not missing much by having the sound set to 22 Khz or even just 11025.

By the way I'm curious, why do the sound effects have some "surround sound" effect going on, is that what the GUS driver does?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 2, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Most of Duke3D's sounds are in 8000 hz sampling rates, only a few are ever ~22050 hz. You're not missing much by having the sound set to 22 Khz or even just 11025.

No doubt. I have the most trouble with the voice-overs getting muddled or lost in the noise. I wish they had a separate volume control.

DracoNihil wrote:

By the way I'm curious, why do the sound effects have some "surround sound" effect going on, is that what the GUS driver does?

I haven't looked at that yet. I thought it was stereo desyncing due to data loss on a multiplexed channel (some old Sound Blasters did this too), but it could be a feature as you suggested....

Edit: At 22 kHz, the stereo steering for sound effects seems to be favoring the left channel for some reason (again, the music is unaffected), but I'm not noticing a big "surround" effect. There's still some crackle, but it's mostly below the noise. At various times at the 44 kHz mixer rate the desyncing was bad enough to justify a restart.

Attachments

• Filename
    Duke3D-control.mp3
    File size
    2.59 MiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Repeat with mixer set at 22 kHz.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

ISA go Bragh™