VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i recently dug up my old pentium celeron with a sound blaster pci 128,detected as a model with an ensoniq chip.i installed it fine on windows 98,and all windows games have sound and music correctly,but many many dos games refuse to have sound or music.when i go to the setup for those games,even if i choose the right settings(as stated on the autoexec:dma 200,irq 7,dma 1)many games have garbled sound or no sound at all,while other are ok.for example,games like duke nukem 3d works perfectly(i'm talking about running them in either pure dos or not) while death rally has sound at the beginning,then it stops.if i change the irq from 7 to 5,death rally has sound and music ,but in a very slow speed.the game itself runs fine,but the sound and music are super slow.lastly,there are games liek earthwormjim 2,that just refuse to have sound.some say its just the audio card that is not very good in dos,but i hope that there's some other solution.any help?

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please consider using return from time to time. Your wall of text makes it hard to read. Help people help you. It's not the first time you get this told.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i got the drivers from an internet site which hosted lots of old drivers,can't remember the name though.the config and autoexec are the following:

autoexec.bat

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb it,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM
C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
rem - By Windows Setup - LH mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001
call cmouse\ctmouse.exe

config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=039,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
DEVICE=c:\vide-cdd.sys /D:MSCD001
device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:MSCD001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zaxxon wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
DEVICE=c:\vide-cdd.sys /D:MSCD001
device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:MSCD001

You might as well take out these two lines. You certainly don't need both of them, and without MSCDEX in your autoexec.bat, neither of them are doing you any good. Perhaps that will make a difference.

Reply 6 of 8, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@maximus:thanks i'll try those asap
@jorpho:yes,its on autoexec,its LH mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001,and indeed it works.

i have two lines,because,for some reasons,the windows's cd driver recognize the first line,while if i boot in pure dos,only the second line is used to detect the cd rom driver.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zaxxon wrote:

@jorpho:yes,its on autoexec,its LH mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001,and indeed it works.

No, you have this:

Zaxxon wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
rem - By Windows Setup - LH mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001

A line that starts with "rem" will never be executed. If that's not your actual autoexec.bat, then try again.

Windows shouldn't require CD-ROM drivers to be loaded in config.sys at all, if I'm not mistaken.

Reply 8 of 8, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok i thought i took for granted that having just any mscdex line would have loaded it.

@maximus:i got the eapci.zip drivers from that site,installed them,changed the autoexec and config..and same issue unfortunately :\