VOGONS

First post, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Sidewinder, one of the old ones that looks like the bastard child of a Genesis, SNES, and Xbox controller. Really sturdy, with a passthrough port. (For another sidewinder? Or just a normal joystick?) I think it must be one of the very first, because I heard (was it here?) that only the oldest ones have that port. Anyway, I hooked it up to a Win95 PC, but it doesn't seem to have a driver for it. Searched high and low, but I can't find a driver anywhere. But research seems to indicate that it originally came with some sort of CD-ROM, perhaps that had the needed driver. Does anybody have that CD? If so, mind posting the driver?

As for DOS, I think the Sidewinder wasn't supposes to work in DOS, but i seem to remember that somebody made some sort of emulator software that made it work. I don't think I ever got it working though. If anyone knows anything about using the gamepad in DOS, let me know.

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If memory serves, the early Microsoft SideWinder products' drivers were included within the later releases of the Microsoft SideWinder Software packages, the last of which was Version 3.02.00 for Win9x. If you look in the last post of the following thread, you will find a link to that particular package:

MS Sidewinder Precision Pro - Weird Gameport vs USB Issue

See if your device is detected in Win9x after installing that. I may be able to dredge up a copy of the CD-ROM. I have some of the early SideWinder gamepads, but I can't remember if they are the first or second models.

This page should have the DOS drivers developed by Robert Grubbs and another driver as well:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_downloads.shtml#Drivers

Reply 3 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked, and my SideWinder gamepads are a later version (no pass-through) with a CD-ROM Part No. X03-37535. This CD-ROM contains Version 2.0 of the SideWinder Game Device Software including Profiler, Activator, Editor and Drivers, so you would almost certainly want the Version 3.02.00 software i referenced above.

The only reason why you might not want it is if you are using a non-English version of Windows 9x. The Version 3.02.00 SideWinder Game Software used a naming scheme that follows this pattern: SWGameXX.exe where XX is Microsoft's two-letter abbreviation for a given language. So the various versions look like this:

SWGameEN.exe (English)
SWGameES.exe (Spanish)
SWGameFR.exe (French)
SWGameJP.exe (Japanese)
(etc.)

You may have a hard time finding some of non-English versions. Sounds like a project for the VOGONS driver folks.

Last edited by akula65 on 2014-02-09, 00:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I probably won't get to try a lot of the stuff, at least for a bit, as my computer's power supply seems to have problems now. Figures. Thanks for the help though. Hopefully this at the very least helps anyone trying to use google to find this stuff!