VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/CPU/amd/setk6v3.zip

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 21 of 40, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I'd try some synthetic benchmark first to see what the transfer speed to video memory in LFB VESA modes really is. I'd probably use vspeed or CTCM for that, but there are probably others (suggestions?).
The theoretical maximum throughput of PCI is 133MB/s, AGP 1x 266MB/s, AGP 2x 533MB/s and so on.
For comparison, 800x600x8 @60 fps needs roughly 28MB/s so PCI would be sufficient assuming a good transfer rate (depending on video card and write combining).
1280x1024x8 @60fps already uses 75MB/s so a higher bandwidth would be desirable.

Reply 22 of 40, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Like I said above in this thread, I've tried that. Descent2 @ 800x600 SVGA, Quake @ 800x600 SVGA, and Duke3D @ 800x600 SVGA, and Tex Murphy @ 800x600 SVGA, BLOOD @ 800x600 SVGA, all of them, I've tried a P3 copermine @ 1ghz, I've tried an Athlon Tbird @ 1.4 ghz, none of them were smooth and fast and playable. It wasn't until I got this AthlonXP system set up that they all ran great and smooth suddenly and it's fun to play em. Descent2 supports higher modes up to 1024x768 and originally that's why I set to overclocking it up to 1.8 ghz to try and get that to work, it improved SVGA @ 1024x768 significantly, but still not smooth and fast, so apparently I need even more cpu for that.

There is no reason why that system shouldn't be able to play every DOS game out there. My BX chipset PIII's (with Slotkets) perform fine.

Try using a PCI sound card on those games that support it. You'll gain a few FPS there and better sound quality too. If you have any DOS games that require an ISA based SB16 (or so), chances are it's an older game and the speed of your PC is more than adequate.

Reply 23 of 40, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the stance of power supply, there's no PSU both support great PCI-Ex graphic card with -5v supply for ISA slots.
The time old PCs which was commonly support V,I,P slots had very poor +12V supply. (less than 10A)
When the AGP come out, +5V supply was increased and CPUs are used +12V2 mainly.
After PCI-Ex graphic cards, +5v supply again decreased and nowaday PSU generates mainly +12v supply, but not generate 3.3V or 5V as before. (30A->20A)

These PSU will support ISA and old device flawlessly, but never support both Core2 or 4 CPU & Graphics. Put on newer PSU, what for ISA devices?

140205222537_006_png.png
Filename
140205222537_006_png.png
File size
333.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

On a side note: Past week I made a SetMul DOS utility which also supports the K6-2+/III+ mobiles. Yes, It sets the multiplier. Will upload it soon, after receiving another particular CPU to test it with.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 25 of 40, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean in comparison to k6dos.sys it works from the cmd line?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 26 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, regardless of wheter or not EMM386 is loaded. With proper Multiplier readback and total MHz calculation (TSC).

Reply 28 of 40, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built a system around a BCM BC875PLG board a while back. S478, 875P chipset, one fully-functional ISA slot, and it works just fine under Win9x as long as you don't have more than 512 MB of RAM installed or patched it to get around that limitation.

My only complaint is that the BIOS doesn't seem to have any CPU clock adjustments, so I can't UNDERclock the system if games run too fast. I don't know if it would be possible to mod them in, either.

The AWE64 Gold works in it just fine; I'd normally use my AWE32 instead, except that brings the conundrum of finding a case with enough clearance to fit that monstrosity while still having enough airflow to keep a 3.2 GHz P4EE from cooking itself under load.

As for why anyone would want a ridiculously fast CPU for DOS games?

Build engine (not Duke3D or Shadow Warrior, but everything else without solid source ports), 1600x1200, 60 FPS. That is all.

Reply 30 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

May I propose a cheaper and easier solution... how about getting a 14" CRT so that you can't tell the difference between 640x480 and 1024x768 anymore? 😀

Reply 32 of 40, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still a CRT enthusiast and prefer them to just about any LCD on the market, but that's mostly because LCDs that don't suck (VA or IPS, low input lag, ideally 120+ Hz refresh rate) cost hundreds of dollars, especially the 1920x1200 and greater ones, while good FD Trinitron models can be had pretty cheaply around here.

That, and the crown jewel of my monitor collection is the legendary Sony GDM-FW900. 24" of widescreen aperture grille goodness, capable of running the gamut from 2560x1600 at 72 Hz to 1920x1200 at 96 Hz to lower resolutions at up to 160 Hz, with no resolution rescaling involved whatsoever. There's no way I'm giving THAT up for an LCD as long as it works.

All of that said, I can easily tell the difference between lower and higher resolutions, and I figure that as old as those games are now, they should be easy to max out on today's hardware. Guess not, in certain cases...

Also, as for why you'd want native ISA cards with such fast CPUs? Aureal Vortex2 SB Pro emulation isn't perfect, for starters. Then there's the fact that I want to test out TFX's ASP/CSP support and Eradicator's EMU8000 support, and I'd prefer to do all this in a machine that can handle PC games from the 1990s all the way up to about 2005 or so. (That was the big impetus for building my system there: not needing separate 98SE and XP systems.)

Reply 34 of 40, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive put a NOS 17" IBM CRT vs a Dell U2412M(IPS 1920X1200) side by side and their is no comparision, CRT slaughters the Dell for image quality in dos mode especially in Dark games like Doom, I am specifically talking about the quality of the backlit LED until OLED becomes more mainstream CRTs will still have the edge in image quality when it comes to blacks and dare I say colour reproduction.

Reply 36 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like I said before, it is the Front Side Bus speed that determines what is possible in this regard.
Any Nvidia card will perform the same (yes really), and the CPU is also of less importance.
Going from 1000MHz to 1400 will not help much.
1280x1024 60FPS is is too much MB per second to transfer from RAM to CPU to VIDEO.
640x480x1x30= 9.216.000 bytes per sec
1280x1024x1x60= 78.643.200 bytes per sec

Most people here are perfectly fine with PIII performance, it is already 2 generations above the original 486.

Reply 38 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lowest graph with fastvid (MTRR Write combining):
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/benchmark … tware-rendering