VOGONS

First post, by Priv3060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I got this computer a few weeks ago. It is a PS/1 Consultant 386sx 25 with 10 mb ram and Super VGA etc...
Anyway a few weeks ago the graphics completely started to glitch out on me. Not just in Windows but in Dos and programs as well.
I switched the RAM to see if that was it..no luck. I installed a separate video card (Trident) to see if that would work, but no luck.
The fan seems to work fine so I don't think its an overheating issue but it does seem to happen after the computer has been on for 5 to 10 minutes. However
it does not ALWAYS happen. Sometimes it runs great for a half hour or more before starting to tweek out.
It did start to happen after I replaced the lithium battery but I can't imagine that has anything to do with it. To be sure I took the battery out and it seems to happen regardless.
Also when I restart the computer the glitching starts out right away from boot. However if I let it sit for awhile it will be fine. Well for 10-15 minutes anyway.

So I am stumped and was wondering if you guys had any ideas? I also tried it with a different monitor and the glitches were the same.
It really sucks as it is a nice computer, has a 5.25 drive which was my main reason for buying it so I could have access to those size disks.

I have attached a few pics to show what it looks like in Windows...
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    p1.png
    File size
    4.65 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    p0.png
    File size
    3.33 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    p7.png
    File size
    3.06 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the systems bios is getting corrupt?? (battery also have connection with cmos) I dont know how long CMOS lives, but what i know is, that after 23 years later it could give you problems with the cmos chip...
What the best is to do? These computerparts we are using are very old.. So backup every cmos bios rom you have should be very smart to do.
So if something gets wrong you can always write a new cmos rom chip..and should stay save...

I know the most of the boards i have here about 40% have a bad cmos(or is something wrong with it), or is never upgraded to the final version..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 7, by Priv3060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the reply!

I am actually not sure how I would go about backing up the cmos bios...I did not even realize you could do such a thing.
I will have to search these boards or google it.

I was also wondering if maybe it had something to do with the power unit itself? If maybe it had lost some juice or something?
I don't know, I am reaching..my gut tells me its something very internal on the motherboard that I don't possess the knowledge to fix..

🙁

Reply 3 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My advice:

• Remove all socketed chips, clean the legs and sockets by lightly rubbing them with the tip of a jeweler's screwdriver, then put them back (careful not to put them backwards).
  • Scrub the memory and expansion slots with a clean toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol and clean your expansion cards' edge contacts too.
  • If nothing works, power up the board in a bare test bench and start flexing it around and pushing down on the chips, see if you can make the glitched patterns change or disappear.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is no BIOS problem... 133mhz's advice on cleaning the chips is good and you must also check for leaking/bulging capacitors or any strange fluids on the mobo. Since this happens even with another vga the best guess is that some part starts failing and screws timings or something. It wouldn't surprise me if a recap fixed the problem.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also check the PSU (open it up if possible) for dust build-up. This might sound strange, but I just read somewhere that PS/1s and PS/2s should be brought to room temperature before turning on...don't know why. Do you have your PS/1 in a garage or basement that may get colder than usual by any chance? Just throwing it out there.

Reply 7 of 7, by Priv3060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the replies.

The computer is in my living room which can fluctuate the temperature a little bit but never colder than 66 and never warmer than 74 degrees. But being older it very well may not
take much for it to be affected.
It definitely sounds like a plan to give the motherboard and PSU a really good going over, making sure everything is clean. For being over 25 years old, the inside of the unit is remarkably
clean. The previous owner was apparently a church.
Some kind of overheating still sounds plausible since it doesn't start happening until its been running a handful of minutes, and then the only fix is to let it sit for a little while...

Thanks again everybody!