VOGONS

Real mode DOS PCI Sound Card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe with an Opteron at 2.5 Ghz (performs about the same as a 2.8 Ghz Athlon 64 X2). In this system, I have an Aureal Vortex 2 card with a NEC DB50XG clone daughterboard.
I aimed at a very fast Win98SE system which runs XP as well. Win98SE means optional booting to DOS 7 as well.
As a point of reference, this system is significantly faster than a Tually Celeron but it only makes DOS SVGA games step up one notch only on the resolution ladder. 1280x1024 is playable in most cases, but anything higher can make things crawl. And that is with an nvidia 7900GS.
DOS SVGA games simply demand an insane bandwidth at high resolutions. You need to find a good compromise, even on a fast system.
Then again, fortunately, there is only a handful of DOS games that support 1280x and higher resolutions...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 21 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Jolaes76, you speak about playing dos games using this motherboard. I assume that means that you've managed to get dos sound working using the Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound card then? Is it actually an MX300 as this uses the Aureal chipset and has a waveblaster header as well?

Reply 22 of 27, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that is the card. A simple Vortex 2 PCI with the MX300 chip. The waveblaster header works. Produces much cleaner music with the daughterboard than most ISA cards would.
I have not been using this machine for a while, but I do remember that you need to use the beta aka "hacked" drivers as the original driver package did not offer a good DOS mixer for the card.
The Vortex 2 legacy DOS driver has one big advantage over that of the Creative PnP PCI cards: EMM386 is not a necessity, emulation works in real mode as well.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 23 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sound: For PCI cards I think the Vortex2 is a good DOS card. It supports wavetable boards and external MIDI devices in pure DOS. Compatibility have also been quite good IMO.

This is the Quake bench on a Tualatin 1.4GHz

Specs:
Asus P3B-F rev1.03 1.4 GHZ Pentium 3 Tualatin (440BX chipset)
1024 CL2 SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce 5950 256MB Ultra

quake 1.06 timedemo demo 1 (nosound):
320 x 240: 268,8 FPS
640 x 480: 95,6 FPS
800 x 600: 67,1 FPS
1024 x 768: 44,2 FPS

As you can see, if you want to run in SOFTWARE mode in 1280x1024 @ 60 FPS you need something faster for Quake (or get some 3D acceleration).

User jwt27 just picked up two Asus P3B-F's in another thread, maybe he can help you out with one of those boards if you want to go 440BX AND Tualatin 1.4GHz incase you want to go that route.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 24 of 27, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try Fastvid, vetz? I had a p3 1ghz coppermine with fastvid that got 40 FPS in quake1 @ 1280x1024, but it crashed to dos shortly after, maybe fast vid doesn't like quake. But it was dogged slow in duke and descent2, sadly.

Reply 25 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The scores are with FASTVID and they match other Tualatin scores (it is actually quicker than the other comparable VGA scores in Phil's benchmark).

You sure about that FPS in that resolution on a 1ghz CPU? I've never seen such a good bench.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes