VOGONS

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got the original first version of the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro on the way but after reading several websites I'm a little concerned.

Firstly, due to this being the first version, it does not have the Serial to USB adaptor and I've read that even with this adaptor, USB will not function at all. This is due to Microsoft changing the circuitry in the second version to support USB connections.

Secondly, on the box is says "Windows 95 Only". I cant seem to find any information anywhere to confirm this joystick actually works in Windows 98 SE. If it does, then I'm not too concerned regarding the lack of USB as I can always just connect it up via my sound blaster gameport.

Lastly, the driver version that ships with the original version is for windows 95....version 2.0 I believe. The latest 3.02 version only shipped with the Precision Pro 2 (the updated USB version).

I have looked everywhere for the 3.02 drivers download but cant seem to locate them anywhere so if someone could please direct me to them or send them to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot help you with the driver issue, but you should not worry about win98 compatibility. The .vxd and .inf combo should be fully compatible with all Win9x versions.
"Windows 95 only" was probably a warning that it will not work with DOS, OS/2, NT etc...

EDIT:

is this what you need ?

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php? … 9c6f9c5bc2a978f

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 2 of 6, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Jolaes76, glad to hear about the Windows 98 issue. Regarding the driver link, that seem's to be what I'm after so I'll check it out. Unable to download it now as I'm typing this from my mobile. Just hope the link isn't dead because the sites I found all had dead links or tried to lead me to driver updating programs.

Thanks heaps for your help so far 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:

Just hope the link isn't dead because the sites I found all had dead links

In my experience, files found on DriverGuide are never dead because they host it themselves...

borgie83 wrote:

or tried to lead me to driver updating programs.

But yes, you do have to go out of your way to avoid their "downloader/installer" program. Either you use it and be smart enough to decline every offer it makes to install their software, or you pay them a few bucks for the real file.

Or (recommended), you find some workaround like seen here:
DriverGuide.com’s Not-so-surprising Scammy Tactics

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There should be an option to just add the Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro in the Game Controllers panel in Win98SE, no need to install the software unless you want the programming features.

Alternatively, you can pinch your pennies for a 3DP-Vert, which isn't just for the SideWinder 3D Pro, but almost all of Microsoft's digital gameport peripherals, first-gen Precision Pro/"3D Pro Plus" included.

Reply 6 of 6, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Jolaes76, I got a chance to check out the download link you provided. Unfortunately it wants me to use the driveguide installer or pay them money. Both things I don't really like doing so I chose to give it a miss. Thanks anyway mate.

@Stiletto, I totally understand companies asking users to pay for their services but in my experience, if you search around hard enough or ask others for help (eg:vogons) almost all drivers are obtainable for free without the need to use driver installers, register with the website or pay the company money for something that should be obtainable for free. Why a large company like Microsoft cant keep their drivers available for download on their website is beyond me. Even creative is slowly going down this same path unfortunately. At least companies like nVidia seem to still care about their customers.

@akyla65, that download link is exactly what I was after. Downloaded successfully! Now to wait for the Sidewinder to arrive and try it out 😀

Thanks guys.