VOGONS

First post, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an old system that I rescued from the garbage and I installed wondows 98SE on it to have an authentic system for playing my old games.

I bought a cheap PCI sound card for it and it worked fine until I tried playing Doom95 and SW Dark Forces. I would get the music but not the sound effects.

So I bought an Ensoniq AudioPCI on ebay after researching and figuring it had good DOS compatibility. I followed the instructions on this post to the letter:

Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI

But with both drivers I got the following message while starting the computer:

error: PCI device detect failed: Device not dound.
PCI audio driver NOT loading.

Does anyone know what exactly this means? Is the card damaged or is there it just a driver problem? DOes anyone have any idea how to make it work?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it work in Windows?

What PC is it? Many PCI sound cards don't work on never gear.

Also you are mixing DOS and Windows games which is especially tricky for a beginner.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 12, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's an old computer I found behind a bookshelf covered in dust and dead bugs 🤣. I put windows 98SE on it. The parts are from 2002-2004 at the latest I would say.

The only games I want to play on it that don't work right now are dark forces and doom which both say are for 95 on it. Is that as difficult as if I wanted to play the original DOS versions?

Also sorry about posting in the wrong place this is my first time posting.

Reply 5 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xTamx420 wrote:

Also sorry about posting in the wrong place this is my first time posting.

Moved! it's a miracle 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check this guide (3 videos) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZFdFbSzdA

It might make a few things cleared 😀

For sound, get an ISA Sound Blaster.

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 12, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the video though! I originally tried to install 95 but my hard drive was too big. I might try again using what you did. Still can't get 98 working with sound though. Could my sound card be damaged do you think?

Reply 9 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS games you really want an ISA Sound Card. PCI Sound Cards are great for Windows Games. The games you mention run in DOS. Windows 98 comes with DOS 7.1.

In short, get another computer with ISA slots and an ISA Sound Card. Or play newer games that run on Windows like Tomb Raider 2 or Quake 2.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 12, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bear in mind that Mau1wurf1977's thread and drivers that you referenced in the original post were intended for DOS users, not Windows users. So you need to acquire actual Win9x drivers for your Ensoniq or Creative card (depending on what you actually have).

Reply 11 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you say you don't get any sound in windows do you mean ANY sound or just in the games?

When running in windows you shouldn't need to load the drivers, Device manager has something along like "Legacy sound" which will show what resources the pretend dos sound card is using.

I would start with a clean install of Windows, Install the sound card drivers and try getting sound in Dos games from inside windows. Its where PCI sound cards are the most happy. Once you know that's working you can try getting dos working on a confirmed working setup

Reply 12 of 12, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got it working after trying out different drivers but now I can't get dooms music. Sound effects are fine but there's just no music. Dark forces has 100% of its audio though. Anyone know why it's not working? I tried the 4 and 8 mb wavesets but no luck with dooms music.