VOGONS

486 GA-5486AL Motherboard issues.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The reference you are seeing to a reserved PS/2 mouse IRQ is likely part of the default AWARD template and does not necessarily mean the motherboard has a PS/2 mouse header. In fact, most motherboard manufacturers did not bother to hide the mouse Power Management feature in the BIOS. I do not see a PS/2 mouse header on this motherboard.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:
Ok, I've almost completed my 486 dx4-100 build but I have 2 issues which i need help with. […]
Show full quote

Ok, I've almost completed my 486 dx4-100 build but I have 2 issues which i need help with.

1) when I power on the computer the main boot up screen loads up and then just stops. Do doubt waiting for me to enter the bios to set everything up. This would normally not be an issue for me but my keyboard does not get power at all so I'm unable to enter the bios. I've tried 2 known working AT keyboards but neither get power. No led lights...nothing!

2) when I press the reset button the computer commences it's reset cycle but then the monitor stays black. If I power off the computer and then power it on again it goes back to the main boot up screen mentioned above.

I have a third issue regarding the front turbo display but I'd rather work through these 2 issues first before I continue onto that.

As the titles states, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-5486AL motherboard.

Further specs are below:

Intel 486 DX4-100
Diamond S3 Trio64 V+ PCI
Intel Pro GT 1000 NIC PCI
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
Roland MPU-401/AT
Roland SCD-10 (SCB-7) Daughterboard
512mb WD HD
3.2GB Quantum HD
Sony CD-Rom Drive
Panasonic 1.2mb Floppy Drive
Panasonic 1.44mb Floppy Drive

No controller cards on board as everything is directly connected to the motherboard.

Borgie83, I assume you have tried entering the BIOS without any expansion cards installed, floppy, or HDD installed? If a cable is connected backwards, it will cause a no-boot. Also, there is a possibility that this particular system needs to have battery power to CMOS before it will boot. I know this is an issue with the MB8433UUD, however in that case, you can actually enter the CMOS. If I were you, I'd remove everything except the graphics card and install a CMOS battery. Just be sure to remove the battery charging lead if you use a non-chargeable battery. Also, try hooking up the PC speaker to listen for beep codes. You may also want to flash the BIOS.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.