VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please help me with my Dos computer.
I was born in 1980 so I witnessed a real boom for computers in eighties and nineties. I had C64 and finally in nineties 286. I always dream about having nice 486 with Sound Blaster. Recently I finally decided to buy Pentium III. I want to use it for demoscene and fast tracker, some games, but I didn't realize how complicated computers were back then.
Here is what I have:

• Intel W6BXA-0 Rev. A06
    Award Bios v 4.51PG
    Pentium III 450 Mhz
    WD 40 Gb
    RAM 128 Mb PC100
    ATAPI 40x, 1.4mb Floppy
    Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
    Tseng ET6000 1Mb
    Roland MT32

I tried to install FreeDOS onto it, but it boots from Floppy, not from CDrom.
Pherhaps I should update its BIOS?
I Installed DOS 6.22, I formatted 40 Gb hdd just into 2047 Mb. I unplugged the hdd and created another partition in that size, however it is not recognized by my system.
however I still can't make cd-rom to work 🙁
I would try to install Win 98, however it does not see cds!

Sound card. I put it in available slot, however I have no idea what are its IRQ, DMA...
Is there any software that might diagnose it for me?

Fast Tracker 2 and Cubic Player was able to autodect sound card and play it, but it was very very quiet! Should I change something in Bios? I have no Installation disc or floppy for Awe 64 gold, but there has to be something I can do about it!

Please help.

Reply 1 of 12, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1: When you insist on running DOS 6.22 I recommend a smaller HDD. Get a 210MB, 340MB or 540MB.
2: Get the DOS driver diskettes for the sound card and install those.
3: 128MB RAM could be too much for some DOS games.
4: With Windows 98 everything should be auto plug & play but you can also manually install drivers.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

about booting from the CD drive. that motherboard should have the option in BIOS to select to boot from the CD drive first. once you do that and insert the Win CD it should boot from it. If you want the Drive to work from DOS you'll need a DOS CD-ROM driver

Reply 4 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

should be something like advanced settings or BIOS features setup and then boot order.I honestly don't think Ive ever seen a "modern" (mid 90s and later) PC BIOS without that option and I also see it on pretty much everything back to the 386

Reply 6 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whats your end goal for this machine? duel boot DOS/Win98 rig? I myself have no experience with that since I just use separate machines or just use DOS through Win98. If your just building a Win98 machine just set it to boot from CD drive, insert Win CD and then its all self explanatory. for setting up DOS its slightly more complicated.

The drivers for the AWE64 gold are here http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7
I believe a awe64 will function just like a awe32 in DOS and so awe32 drivers should work for it in DOS just fine.

for help with something DOS-centric

http://www.spacequest.net/archives/misc/custo … qpc/index.shtml Its for a space quest gaming PC but its still really helpful as a guide and has useful drivers
and
http://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2013/ … ng-ms-dos-6-22/

Reply 7 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As your just getting into old computers. I would recommend starting off with Win9x. Win98 will let you partition the whole 40Gb drive, anything earlier uses Fat16 (vaguely speaking) so you can still use all 40GB, You will just be limited to 2Gb partitions. Running Fdisk from from a bootdisk is the tool your after.

Why do I recommend Windows over pure dos? gives you a GUI but also dos. Once you get your sound card up and running in windows you will know the correct setting for Dos.
The vogons driver page will have drivers for your AWE64, both windows and dos
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/

Reply 8 of 12, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No luck with freeDos. None of the tools were copied and now computer stucked on kernel sys command 🙁
I will reformat hdd and install fresh Win98.
I'll keep you updated!
Thank you guys for helping me with this.

Reply 9 of 12, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:

Fast Tracker 2 and Cubic Player was able to autodect sound card and play it, but it was very very quiet! Should I change something in Bios? I have no Installation disc or floppy for Awe 64 gold, but there has to be something I can do about it!

The DOS driver package for Sound Blaster cards usually came with a mixer that allowed you to set the output volume of your card in dos. If you can find the complete AWE64 driver package (I see somebody has linked it in an earlier post) then adjusting the volume should be a piece of cake.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 11 of 12, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must say, I have a lot of fun with it. Right now I'm testing different OS's (FreeDos, 7.10, GeekDos)
So far I have following questions.
- Do I need any drivers for my et6000? Maybe some vesa drivers? Some programs (Cubic Player) have hard times viewing any graphics.
- My Awe64 has strange IRQ. Is there anyway to change it for standard 5 or 7?
- Is there anyway to update my Bios? What's is new in newer version? Where can I get it?
- I need a nice program to grab screens and slow down computer (you can't play Comanche on P3 speed). Do you guys know any good ones?

Reply 12 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know of any easy way to grab screenshots in DOS. if you find one please let me know because other then some kind of VGA capture device or a video card with a S-video or composite video out there seems to be no easy method.

dont need a driver for the et6000 in DOS but a program like UNIVBE can update the VESA version http://dosdriver.de/graph.php (one link is dead but the other seems to work)
I hear Moslow is a good program to slow your PC down for DOS or possibly disableing L2 cache in BIOS.

I would assume you can change the IRQ for the AWE via the diagnose command if you used the sound blaster drivers.

I dunno about the BIOS, probably, just google it. BIOS updates used to intimidate me but there not so bad. It will probably involve downloading an update to a bootable floppy and then restarting and following instruction. always read the readme files.