VOGONS

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this videocard,no idea what this is,it has no serial number that i can search on the internet.

Vyl7EYU.jpg?1

qybpVzQ.jpg?1

Last edited by Nahkri on 2014-03-08, 17:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not completely sure, but the "305 AGP" makes me wonder if it could be a SiS 305 based OEM card of some sort. Anybodys guess which manufacturer it might have come from though.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 18, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it was mainly used as integrated graphics on SiS chipset motherboards. But I've seen some SiS 305 cards for sale on ebay when looking for retro parts, so I would guess this might be one of these.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 18, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the closest match i found was this, a HIS 305 AGP card.

HIS 305 AGP.JPG
Filename
HIS 305 AGP.JPG
File size
22.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 6 of 18, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SiS 300, 305 and 315 were released between the Savages and the Xabres. Strictly budget cards.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 7 of 18, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you thinking of reusing the bios chip of the video card in your soyo motherboard?
Otherwise, if it is the SiS 305 based card then you can forget about gaming (atleast half-life1 & newer ones). maybe dos games will be ok. I have a sis 630 chipset based motherboard which has an integrated sis 305 and I can't get more than 17 fps in halflife.

1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo

Reply 8 of 18, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gandhig wrote:

Are you thinking of reusing the bios chip of the video card in your soyo motherboard?

No,i just got it cheap didn't know what it was and was curious about it,kinda hopped for something else.
Didn't find a lot of info on the internet about it,it's succesor the 315 had somewhat better performance,equivalent to a geforce 2 mx. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/dis … lay/sis315.html

Reply 10 of 18, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Putas, do you mean to say that there might be considerable difference between SiS 305 'integrated' & 'discrete' ones. today i dusted up my SiS630 based ECS-P6STPFL mainboard with 700 MHz Celeron and 128 MB PC133 CL3 SDRAM and did some benchmarks. I have already tweaked the chipset registers with the help of SIS630 datasheet for max performance as the BIOS settings were conservative and many of them were not available.
3DBench2 score=333.5
PCPBench score=118
Speedsys Vesa memory Bandwidth = 29.3 MB/s
Vspeed DRAM to banked VGA, Linear FB = 44.13, 44.61 MB/s

Though i didn't play halflife today, iirc i didn't get playable frame rates. do you remember the min/max fps for SiS305 for halflife. BTW are you an ex-employee of SiS or something?

Reply 11 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shared memory can make significant difference. 2d benchmarks are IMO irrelevant for chips of this time.

gandhig wrote:

do you remember the min/max fps for SiS305 for halflife

No, I only remember trying it and even more advanced games were just fine.

gandhig wrote:

BTW are you an ex-employee of SiS or something?

no way

Reply 12 of 18, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

Shared memory can make significant difference.

Though the minimum shared memory setting available in bios was 2M, i found a host bridge register setting to disable the Shared Memory (Host Bridge Reg:63, bit 7) and tried to disable it with a DOS tool. However the system hanged and i guess it can be done only before POST, in which case bios mod will be required.

Reply 14 of 18, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, i had my discrete PCI card hooked up at that time. Actually this approach worked nicely with the VIA chipset board and i was able to gain a few FPS all around.

Reply 15 of 18, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SiS305 AGP 32MB i tested have 69,9FPS in glquake 640x480 - see http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/benchmarks/310-glquake
Thats right between Savage 3D and Savage 4. For example Ati rage 128vr 8MB have 81FPS and vanta LT have 100FPS. So its comparable to slowest 2nd gen 1998 3D cards, but this one came out in 2000. So usable only for collecting, almost everything you got almost for free is faster than this. In 1024 have only 29fps, so its unusable in higher resolutions too.
In unreal 640x480 - 33,5FPS - http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/benchmarks/311-unreal

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 17 of 18, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

Also yours 315E seems to be 32bit, poor bastard.

Thats quite possible and its also only PCI, but i was talking about 305 and not 315e. Ofc these are main reasons for slower fps on mine 315e vs 305.

Another fact is poor quality of sis drivers a bad support of games, any geforce 2mx will be better and theres plenty of them around.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 18 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I put together a similar rig to compare results: K7S5A, Athlon XP 1700, SDR, 133 MHz, 32MB 305 125/125, driver 1.15.
GlQuake numbers were about the same, but Unreal was running bit over 40 fps average. I really suspect AGP bombed for the relevant SiS cards, better check it. Half Life is fine up to 800x600. By the way I see your i740 did also 40 fps in Unreal, that is impossible if the lighting is rendered correctly, check that one too.