VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have recently acquired a Packard Bell Platinum 55 computer and Nostalgia readings are off the scales captain! We have never encountered a phenomenon of this kind before! 😜

Seriously though, I have since bringing it home installed Windows 98 SE on it but for the life of me I cannot get the sound card to detect the proper drivers. I have the Master Disk and the Sofware Library from my fathers old Packard but I cannot get the install wizard to find the proper drivers also when I boot to DOS I cannot find the CD-ROM drive so I cannot "recover" the computer to factory default.

The Sound card is some strange OEM board, on a large chip it says Analog Devices AD1845JP SoundPort 9608 25506190-0.9 and on another it says AZTECH. I have looked up drivers for this thing but I can't get them to work either.

Any help either with the CD problem or with the sound card is greatly appreciated. 😁

-Thanks in advance.

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2014-03-14, 23:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

(Not sure why the pics are so huge 😒 )

Then you reduce the size before you upload!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 5, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

The Sound card is some strange OEM board, on a large chip it says Analog Devices AS1845JP SoundPort 9608 25506190-0.9 and on another it says AZTECH. I have looked up drivers for this thing but I can't get them to work either.

Hmmm...are you sure that the sound card doesn't say "AD1845JP" instead of "AS1845JP"??

If it is indeed AD1845JP try checking out this webpage (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desk … Q_20622439.html)...this guy may have a similar computer to yours and is looking for drivers....check out the links from one of the guys who responded...I think they are still active links and it may be the drivers you need. One is a driver for a Aztech Labs AZT2316R Driver Download and the other is a Ensoniq Corporation ISA-Soundblaster AD1845JP Driver Download.

in case the links dont show up, here they are:

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/14/14250.htm
http://www.modem-drivers.com/4236.html
http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/38/38392.htm

Nice Packard Bell BTW...I have a similar pizza box style "Syneria" Pentium 1 system...I'm still looking for a nice matching Packard Bell keyboard for a decent price.

Good Luck.

Reply 3 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh 🤣 Yeah it says AD not AS, that was a typo. If you look at the shots once I fix them you'll see.

And thanks! I just recently found a matching keyboard for 2$ at goodwill, I just walked up to the pile of electronics and there it was on top. 🤣
I'm still looking for a monitor since the LCD I have flickers due to the low hertz and am debating whether or not to look for the mouse (Since they were horrible).

Thanks for the drivers too but I don't think these will work, I already found this page. 🙁
I will try again anyhow. 😁

Reply 4 of 5, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Oh lol Yeah it says AD not AS, that was a typo. If you look at the shots once I fix them you'll see. […]
Show full quote

Oh 🤣 Yeah it says AD not AS, that was a typo. If you look at the shots once I fix them you'll see.

And thanks! I just recently found a matching keyboard for 2$ at goodwill, I just walked up to the pile of electronics and there it was on top. 🤣
I'm still looking for a monitor since the LCD I have flickers due to the low hertz and am debating whether or not to look for the mouse (Since they were horrible).

Thanks for the drivers too but I don't think these will work, I already found this page. 🙁
I will try again anyhow. 😁

Goodwill is always a great place to find old keyboards. $2 is an awesome price...much better than the $30 one on ebay I was looking at a couple weeks ago...and that's without shipping. I think I'm going to wait a while until I find one locally. And I'm always checking goodwill.

Sorry those links didn't work for you. keep searching the net...There's bound to be something. Driverguide.com is usually pretty good when you search for specific model numbers to get old drivers.

Sounds like it's time to get a nice CRT monitor.

I hear you about the mouse...I used to have one and they are no worse than some other ball mice of that time but it is always nice to have a matching Packard Bell one. Speaking of that I just recently picked up a nice matching Packard Bell CRT with the proper logo and ribbed look...got it for 10 bucks.

Anyway good luck finding the drivers and getting everything installed...it's totally worth it..that's a great oem system you have and they just don't come around that often especially in good shape.

Reply 5 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help man. 😁 I'll keep looking but since I have the Masterdisk I should be able to get the CD to recognize under dos, then I can return it to factory defaults. I'm just having a heck of a time getting DOS to see the drive. 🤣