VOGONS

First post, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had experience with Linux distributions that can be easily configured to use old hardware add-ons? I'm not looking just for a lightweight distro. I'm looking for distros that can be configured to use Voodoo 2s in SLI, a DXR3, an AWE64 and other retro hardware goodies that may come up. Also getting svgalib to work without spending a whole afternoon recompiling the kernel or something similar would be nice.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of them.

Voodoo support was removed out of X lately and i'm not sure if the EMU8K driver is still around anymore and even then I'm not even sure how that would work with these new sound servers and sinks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 12, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

None of them.

Voodoo support was removed out of X lately and i'm not sure if the EMU8K driver is still around anymore and even then I'm not even sure how that would work with these new sound servers and sinks.

In that case, what are the most recent prior distro releases with the compatibility we are looking for in these forums? Something circa 2008-ish?

Reply 5 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PedroPalhoto wrote:

I'm not looking just for a lightweight distro. I'm looking for distros that can be configured to use Voodoo 2s in SLI, a DXR3, an AWE64 and other retro hardware goodies that may come up.

I was going to suggest Geexbox, but that probably counts as a lightweight distro.

Reply 6 of 12, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I was going to suggest Geexbox, but that probably counts as a lightweight distro.

Lightweight is a relative concept. A 10 year old release which was heavyweight at the time could be considered lightweight today. Legacy compatible is more the concept to focus on.

BTW, Vogons' "Very Old Games on New Systems" slogan is telling me this may not be the right forum to ask about legacy hardware related issues. Is there a more focused community on this topic where I should have started this thread?

Reply 8 of 12, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Vintage Computer Forum.

Thanks, PeterLI. I'll wait a week for more responses here before I ask there.

PeterLI wrote:

But running DOS / Windows games on (LI/U)NUX makes no sense to me personally.

That is not the point for me, and I concur, it also makes no sense, and that is why I multi-boot. My point is to develop demos with old technology just for the fun of learning about them, or testing *nix games/apps that ran with vintage tech.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PedroPalhoto wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Lightweight is a relative concept. A 10 year old release which was heavyweight at the time could be considered lightweight today.

I for one would consider "lightweight" to refer to a distro's capabilities, which are hardly relative at all. Geexbox as typically distributed is geared towards a very specific application. But perhaps we should not split hairs.

Old versions of Vector Linux are often recommended for old hardware, but I doubt it has support for things like the DXR3 out of the box.

I really have no idea what you would do with a Voodoo2 in Linux. I guess there are drivers out there, but I can scarcely imagine that they can be used to do much of anything.

Reply 10 of 12, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

But perhaps we should not split hairs.

Indeed. The perception of the Universe by sentient beings is always subjective to each one's mental models. Terminology can have different meanings according to the angle each one comes at an issue. There never is a 100% definitive answer on anything which is subject to interpretation, just good enough answers.

Jorpho wrote:

Old versions of Vector Linux are often recommended for old hardware, but I doubt it has support for things like the DXR3 out of the box.

Thanks for the tip.

Jorpho wrote:

I really have no idea what you would do with a Voodoo2 in Linux. I guess there are drivers out there, but I can scarcely imagine that they can be used to do much of anything.

Currently, besides using a Voodoo as framebuffer, not much.

It doesn't mean that something might not come up. The fact that there are open source drivers, means I can more easily tinker with the boards and experiment on a very low level if I have the need for it. Besides, I read somewhere that the drivers were faster for Linux than for Windows. It could have been for early driver versions.

Computers in the 1996-2007 time bracket and their add-ons are practically given away to me for free. I have tons of available time, several development skills and no disposeable income for newer hardware. I gave up extra income for more time to do the things I love: social transition entrepreneurship and software/hardware tinkering.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PedroPalhoto wrote:

Besides, I read somewhere that the drivers were faster for Linux than for Windows. It could have been for early driver versions.

I'm not really sure how you would test that. I would think DOS would be faster than either.

I have tons of available time, several development skills and no disposeable income for newer hardware. I gave up extra income for more time to do the things I love: social transition entrepreneurship and software/hardware tinkering.

Are you looking for ideas..? 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I'm not really sure how you would test that.

Off the top of my head, fps counts in demos/games. Unreal Tournament is one of those games I can think of. I don't know if there are cross-platform benchmarking suites.

Jorpho wrote:

I would think DOS would be faster than either.

For a basic demo, without using the aid of libraries and features a full fledged operating system has to offer, yes.

Jorpho wrote:

Are you looking for ideas..? 😀

Ideas to me come a little too frequently, I don't need any more to distract me 😀. If there is something you need help with, plug it here or through a PM and I'll let you know if I can help. I'm still looking to tone the idea flux down a notch. Too many ideas, (still) so little time.