VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful around acetone! I use it to remove various stickers and old thermal paste from computer parts and it turnes out, it is capable of dissolving the plastic on Pentium II cartridges! First it looks like nothing happened, but later the exposed area turns white and the uneven surface becomes flat. Even the markings can be dissolved. It looks like if exposed for a long time, the cartridge can recieve some heavy damage.

Reply 2 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't drink it.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 15, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isopropanol at 99% is much better for removing stickers. Acetone likes to melt adhesives, which just makes them gummy and sticky, and spread everywhere, but adhesives don't want to stick to any surface covered with alcohol. I can understand certain situations where you may need to start with acetone to soften a tough adhesive, but other than that you'll want to avoid messing stuff up with acetone.

Reply 4 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

May I say... well DUH! 🤣

As TELVM and Logistics said, alcohol based solvents are better suited for this. I personally prefer brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) or 99% isopropanol.

Reply 5 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Russia alcohol can substitute acetone and vice-versa 😁 I never knew. I use vodka to clean soft mess and when vodka does not seem to help I use aceton... And it's cheaper 😀

Ahh... The cool feeling as it evapourates from your hands 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some people are adamant that lighter fluid is superior to alcohol.

Ultimately the best solution is to test whatever cleaner you're using on an unobtrusive spot of whatever you are trying to clean.

Reply 7 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Some people are adamant that lighter fluid is superior to alcohol.

Brake cleaner == lighter fluid (but much cheaper at about €2.50/500ml) 😉

Reply 8 of 15, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing I use acetone for is removing superglue.

People are pretty cavalier about using Goof-Off for all situations, but it is worse than acetone. I have done more damage than good with that stuff.

Alcohol is good for cleaning almost everything except it will dissolve Latex paint.

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 9 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like citrus cleaners if alcohol wont dissolve something. It smells like oranges and cleans super too! I have some Goof Off if it is extra resilient gunk but I prefer to avoid it...

The Arctic Silver Arcticlean TIM remover is citrus based btw.

Reply 11 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

When I worked at a printing plant one of the tricks they would play on the new guy was to hand him a styrofoam cup and tell him to run and get some acetone FAST! 🤣

OMG 😁 That made my day!

I have seen a cool trick our former professor made that was a shock to all of his students. We had a vacuum flask full of liquid nitrogen, he asked a girl to fetch some and washed his hands and face with it. We stood there shocked, the liquid boiling and the vapor going down instead of up, but he stood there unharmed. The temperature at which nitrogen boils at standard pressure is -195°C. Later we all did it, it was called "baptism to cryogenics". 😎

Who can figure out how it's done?

Reply 12 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean what the Leidenfrost effect is?!?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 14 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use isopro for some stickers, and eucalyptus oil for others. Some adhesives seem to respond more rapidly to one or the other.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 15, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This stuff came in handy for cleaning the "extra grungy" machines at the computer store: http://www.amazon.com/4-5-Oz-Oops-Cleaner-710 … 5/dp/B001TJ5KRY

One tech even used it on a laptop LCD screen out of desperation. That machine was "sticky" to say the least. Surprisingly it didn't damage the screen and you didn't need to wear a biohazard suit to touch the laptop afterwards.