VOGONS

First post, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, this is a highly oced overvolted fine tuned p2b @1.2ghz 3x256 fsb@124@cas2 SBPRO, with Xp SP3 and W98 . Been working fine for 2 years. Bad things began with first Firefox going slow, then the main problem was/is mouse got intermittently and randomly very slow and cursor got stuck in horizontal-resize mode <->, but when I click it does ok as standard arrow cursor. Knowing Asus got bad ps2 ports and/or some IRQ problems, change for USB mouse plugged in my pci2usb card, same problem!. The only thing that I noticed was an slow-fast alternate RAM counting in POST , try with just 1 stick @cas3 and same thing. I can run hours of memtest and Sandra01 tests. Mouse does very good in Win98, just with Xp cursor goes slow and weird. Software problem?(clam AV says it's clean) hardware? This machine can have very hard to find hardware problems (modified slotket, full 3 bankswith fsb@124@cas2, overvolted Vio,Vcore ), maybe overvolted for years did some damage? Also , SBPRO did always some nasty DMA problems: loud noises comes when plugin a USB, or a CDROM. Sorry for take your time, any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overvolting is known to shorten the life span of parts but it is never the same between each same but there are a few exceptions. Back the clocks down slightly and if the mouse starts working then it is degredation. If it doesn't I would start looking at windows and firefox being the source of the problems.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 4, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

see if you have these updates installed in XP:
kb2862335
kb2864202
kb2868038
kb2876284
kb2884256

on my win7 partition these updates initially would not install (just hung at 13%?)
but would after uninstalling renesas usb3 support yet then the system would
freeze much like you describe for about 5 seconds every few minutes.

also, a later update kb2887069 never installs for me but could be a problem if
it managed to get on your box.

bye

Reply 4 of 4, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank u all for your help. It seems to be a mobo problem, can take those voltages anymore (i guess) with some many outspecs things going on here, the exact fault is very hard to track. Gonna replace it with a 6ba+IV fully recapped. Without formatting those highly tuned W98 and Xp (hope it'd work fine!!:S:S)