VOGONS

First post, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do I need to change any jumpers on the SB 32 CT3600 in order to enable to MT-32 to interface with the Gameport ?

Win 7 : Core2Quad 2.4Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Audigy 4 Pro
Win 98: Pentium III 600Mhz, 448MB Ram, Matrox Millenium DualHead 32MB, Sound Blaster 32, Roland MT-32
Win 98: Compaq Armada 7400 P2 333Mhz, 192MB Ram, ESS AudiDrive 1879 with Wavetable

Reply 2 of 10, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everything is still fresh on the computer as it is work in progress.

The SB 32 is installed and running perfect in Windows 98 but I did not install yet the DOS drivers.

I plugged in joyport midi adapter into the SB and there is 2 MIDI cables but not marked IN or OUT, so i tried each one inside the MT-32 and tried Doom and Ski or Die but both games did not interface at all with MT-32. I tried running the games in a Command Prompt in Win98.

The SB 32 works fine and in games (command prompt) I can select AWE32 and it works fine.
The MT-32 is working perfect on my not-retro pc connected to Audigy 4 Pro

So hardware should be good. Maybe it is a driver issue ? The Sound Blaster is using Windows 98 drivers.

Win 98: Pentium III 600Mhz, 448MB Ram, Matrox Millenium DualHead 32MB, Sound Blaster 32, Roland MT-32
Win 98: Compaq Armada 7400 P2 333Mhz, 192MB Ram, ESS AudiDrive 1879 with Wavetable

Reply 3 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom only supports General MIDI, not MT-32. There is a way to set up the MT-32 to emulate GM, but that is a task for when you got the MT-32 working.

If you run games from the Windows command prompt, the Windows SB drivers might interfere with the MIDI port and route the MIDI signals elsewhere. I'm a bit rusty on the details, but I remember you can select the synth for MIDI somewhere, and it should be set to "External" synth.

Generally, DOS games expect the MIDI port at address 330h for MT-32.

Reply 4 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom should at least produce some sound on MT-32, but will sound completely wrong without the GM emulation patches.
Ski or Die requires intelligent mode, so you'll have to run SoftMPU before you'll hear anything.

Have you tried a different gameport->MIDI cable?

Reply 6 of 10, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Ski or Die requires intelligent mode, so you'll have to run SoftMPU before you'll hear anything.

So it does, didn't know about that one. I've added it to the compatibility list.

Reply 7 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Doom only supports General MIDI, not MT-32. There is a way to set up the MT-32 to emulate GM, but that is a task for when you got the MT-32 working.

If you run games from the Windows command prompt, the Windows SB drivers might interfere with the MIDI port and route the MIDI signals elsewhere. I'm a bit rusty on the details, but I remember you can select the synth for MIDI somewhere, and it should be set to "External" synth.

Generally, DOS games expect the MIDI port at address 330h for MT-32.

And here's the Roland GM emulation in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNZ8YgFk1M

Reply 8 of 10, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've FINALLY managed to install the SB32 dos drivers. It was a pain as the driver DOS installation was meant for DOS 6.22/Win 3.1 and refused to install but I managed to manually install it. (Copied the necessary files & modified the config.sys & autoexec.bat).

Now, i've got one of those gameport to MIDI adapters. Is there anything else I need to setup in order to use the MT-32 with this set up ?

Reply 9 of 10, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok all sorted. My Gameport to MIDI adapter was crap. Had another (different) one on order which arrived today and set it up and everything works great. AWE-32 works in supported games, MT-32 works in supported games and General Midi (using MTGM patch) works fine too.

Reply 10 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also encountered a similar problem just now. I tried two different sound cards (SB32/YMF724) with MT-32/SC-55 and got nothing out of them. Finally tested the game port-to-midi -cable and noticed the wiring was way off, so shop carefully. Only problem is to tell which of the cables are crap and which are not as they all look-alike. 😒