VOGONS

Terratec Maestro 32/96

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by moumiaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello every one , i have a Maestro 32/96 and i'm struggling to make it work .

I have a P2 300Mhz , and i'm using terratec.exe not the newer version because the system hungs . So i have a bad capacitor too ? I see the photo and the capacitor it shows on my card is of blue color .

Is this sound card supposed to play music as General Midi in Doom or Descent 1 ? In Doom i only get sound effects with SoundBlaster selected but no music with either General Midi or Soundblaster , same with Descent setup only i also get the message " Failed to find Hardweare " with General Midi .

I used the resource /w=maestro.asm command and now i see that bios reads all devices in sound card on boot , midi-sbpro etc but in diagnostics the fm system always fails .

I have 3 lines in my autoexec.bat :
@sSET BLASTER=A22 I5 D1 T4
TERRATEC -O
TERRATEC -I

but nothing helps .

Do i have to use Crystal drivers ? If yes why Terratec gives only terratec.exe as driver ? How can i enable General Midi music ?

Phew thanks in advance .

Attachments

Reply 21 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The capacitor to change for the 'hang'/'not detected' issue is nicely visible here in orange: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_sound_card … 3296_front.html

The replacement capacitor for C58 should be 16 V 1 microF (also check the right polarity).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 22 of 29, by moumiaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

The capacitor to change for the 'hang'/'not detected' issue is nicely visible here in orange: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_sound_card … 3296_front.html

The replacement capacitor for C58 should be 16 V 1 microF (also check the right polarity).

Do i have to use tantalum capacitors or normal electrolytic ? Does it matter ?

Reply 23 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The official document states electrolytic: ftp://retronn.de/driver/TerraTec/Maestro/3296 … fikation_GB.pdf

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 24 of 29, by Backfire_67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello 😀

Using the Terratec Maestro 32/96 an issue has been coming up.
Up to now I used the onboard Midi wavesystem. The card works without any problems.
In the configutation tool (Terratec.exe V1.48) configured as follows:
The Midi 1 ist set to 330 / IRQ:9
The Midi 2 ist set to OFF / IRQ:12
Some days ago I installed an additional Wavetable Daughterboard on the header to have two different soundbanks to switch, depending on the game I prefer for.

Now I'm struggling around with a problem.
I like to leave the onboard Midi 1 untouched at 330 / IRQ:9
The Midi 2 I gave the adress 320 at IRQ:12 and loaded I in the Maestros Eeprom. (I use the option "Terratec.exe -s")
Now both wavetables are active and I can choose in game by selecting the adress (320 or 330) for the preferred wavetable I like to playback.

But:
If I restart the computer, the Midi 2 configuration has been reset to OFF / IRQ:12 so the Daughterboard cannot be used.
The same procedure has to be performed to set Adress 320, saving to EEprom and so on. Than I can use the daughterboard.

And:
If I do the 330 / IRQ:9 setup on the Midi 2 side to point that adress to the daughterboard and set the onboard wavetable to 320 (or others) the same happens on the Midi 1 side.

I wonder why the card forget the setup. I have a second similar Soundcard - the same issue with it.

Would you like to help me out with this issue to fix it?

Thank you very much.
- Backfire -

Repair of 3dfx Devices and Soundcards with passion...
Here you can find more

Reply 25 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You assume that it is resetting the configuration, but could it be that there is a resource collision that prevents the software to set the card to the requested resources saved in the eeprom?

After you change the settings in the EEPROM you have to do a cold boot or power cycle.

If you reboot then and MIDI-2 gets configured to OFF / IRQ:12, what does it show if you read out the EEPROM?
Is there still 320/12 saved?
If there is OFF/12 saved, maybe your initial attempt to save 320/12 failed?

Did you replaced the capacitor C58 with 16 V 1 microF, to circumvent the bugs appearing described in the official document linked above?

Youtube Channel

Reply 26 of 29, by Backfire_67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Capacitor ist already replaced, on both cards.
If I manually with "TERRATEC.EXE -O" configure the 320 (or another like 300) - it will not be saved after rebooting the computer. But until I reboot, both adresses are working well. So I think the saving into the eeprom is working? Or I'm wrong?
If I perform the readout (TERRATEC.EXE -V) OFF/12 is been set.

But right - it's quite strange that adress 330 will be hold, but an other adress rejected after restarting. No matter if on Midi 1 or Midi 2. An other like 330 will be set to OFF.
What could be the reason for?

- Backfire -

Here you can find more

Reply 27 of 29, by Backfire_67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solution is found!

Sorry for posting that late but my youngest son visited me for a while and some important projects has been done.

But today I got it!
Indeed that was an IRQ conflict related to the mainboard.
Changing the Midi 2 to IRQ 11 and the card posts the Midi 2 at startup.
I think the mainboard reserves the IRQ 12 for its own recources, may be PS/2 Mouse. So it kicks off the Midi 2 IRQ 12 recource and the card shows "OFF" .
Thank you very much for the hints that helps me to find the problem. 😀

- Backfire -

Here you can find more

Reply 28 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, especially in 'newer' mainboards some IRQs can be reserved for SPI or PS/2 mouse. Good that you identified the source of the problem.

Youtube Channel

Reply 29 of 29, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Maestro 32/96 and driver v1.29 installed. Somehow, if I start a DOS game under Windows 95, the volume is too low and MIDI-2 (Daughter Board) is not working or just muted, I don't know. MIDI-2 is working in Windows and even with gsplay, though. Also, it's working if I boot into DOS mode. Anyone knows how to change mixer values for DOS in Windows? If I open terratec.exe, it will just open the Windows mixer, but those values seem to have no effect for DOS games, only for Windows.

SWOS isn't just a game - it's a way of life!