VOGONS

First post, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my pci sound card working and when I took a look at my motherboards manual I found this thing called the PC/PCI connector. The manual doesn't explain what it does though it just labels it. I attached a picture of it.

Does anyone know what this is? It looks like a jumper and has the same naming conventions as other jumpers on the board.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Allows DOS to assign hardware resources to PCI sound card, just like a dos sound card. Improves dos compatibility basically.
Well, by "DOS" in this case I mean the OS, as I'm sure it'll work under others OS'es as well, but the general idea is the DOS games compatibility as far as I can remember.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 2 of 8, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what should I do with it? I can't get my sound card to do anything. I install the drivers and it still comes up as unrecognized. Could this be the problem? It came with no jumpers on it. I'm running windows 98.

Reply 3 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the PCI IDs, maybe your card model is different to the cards allowed for your drives.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You got all the drivers for the motherboard chipset installed? I have had all kinds of problems with Windows 9x and getting PCI sounds cards to work in the past. For intel chipset motherboards there's the intel inf drivers and for Via chipsets there are the 4-in-1 drivers. I remember having a million blue screens the first two days of owning my first Socket Super 7 board back in the days, until I found out that I needed to install the chipset drivers before the sound card drivers. Quick reinstall of Windows, installed Via 4-in-1 and sound card worked on the first attempt.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 5 of 8, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The disk that came with it didn't have much in the way of drivers. A couple audio ones that did nothing. It's an Intel SE440BX-2. I got a different sound card working but the sound in dark forces work work with that one. I didn't do anything with the jumper I just put it in and installed it.

Reply 6 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the other sound card also PCI, and is it just sound in DOS games that isn't working, or are we talking no sound in Windows either?

Ensoniq AudioPCI was rebranded as Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 and Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 depending on which revision of the card it was. The drivers from Creative Labs should work.

SB PCI 128
http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=257

SB PCI 64
http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=265

If you are trying to run this under pure DOS, then you can probably pretty much forget about it. PCI sound cards and DOS are not best friends, in fact they hardly acknowledge a grudging acquaintanceship.