VOGONS

First post, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone have any keyboard/mouse preferences? I've got one of those silly Microsoft ergonomic keyboards for my retro rig but a modern optical usb mouse. I'm thinking of getting an old mouse to complete the look of the whole setup. Anyone have any preferences/suggestions?

My keyboard:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/layout/z_011134ergo.jpg

Reply 1 of 40, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's my first keyboard. It was okay, I remember I liked the arrow keys at the time because they were similar to a d pad on a game controller. Trouble was that learning to type on it was a pain in the ass because the school I went to of course had normal keyboards, so it made learning how to type a little confusing.

Now I use a model M by Unicomp and switched to Colemak.

Reply 2 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite keyboard is the IBM Model M. For most purposes this is the best keyboard ever. The only problem I have with it is lack of NKRO, and that's a pretty minor issue anyway. Would love to try a Model M15 or Model F someday but they're not so easy to find.

I don't know of any good old school mice. The best I have is a Logitech G5, the second (blue) model, and even though it's no longer in production it's hard to call it old school. I've had to shorten the cord twice because it spliced internally (braided cords suck). Recently I replaced the Omron 7.5N switches by Cherry 15N types and that was a tremendous improvement.
I recently bought a Kentington Orbit optical trackball, just to try something new. Having always used a mouse it's kinda hard to get used to it but now I'm starting to prefer it over the Logitech already. The scroll ring is great for web browsing, much better than the scroll wheel on a regular mouse.

Reply 4 of 40, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was using an IBM Model M on my DOS rigs but the noise and the heavy keypress action isn't really to my taste for gaming.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 40, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Model M and Model F are pretty good keyboards.

I have a Model M for my main PC, which I really like the feel of. Some say it's too "heavy", which I understand, but seems to be to my taste.

I also have the original IBM 5150 Keyboard (Model F), which feels like a Model M but with a lighter force needed to actuate the keys. I'd use it, but 1. it's XT signalling, and 2, I don't care for the layout.

There's a particular model of keyboard manufactured by Honeywell that I really like too, and in fact I use with my retro gaming PCs. It was re-badged by a bunch of OEMs (mine is Osborne branded), so I can't find a picture of it right now.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 40, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I quite like the Mitsumi KPQ-E99ZC-12 that I have for my 486. It's a plain old AT keyboard, but it's the same type that I had back in the days, and it's got nostalgia value to me 😀
Also, the keyboard for my Compaq Deskpro is surprisingly nice. It's got a heavy metal plate in it, so it feels really sturdy.
The model M is ofcourse an eternal classic.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 8 of 40, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of ps/2 Fujitsu and some more modern ps/2 IBM keyboards which I use a lot of, but for my retro setup I prefer a large 5pin AT PHILIPS keyboard I picked up at a thrift store a while ago. (pic to follow soon).

As for a mouse for retro computing, my Microsoft Cordless Wheel (ball) Mouse with serial connector and PS/2 adaptor is one of the best mice I have ever used because the build quality is amazing (feels nice and heavy and button press is very responsive yet solid) and the mouse itself is the largest one I have ever used and it's very nice when you have (sort of) big hands like mine and it's a true serial mouse (with included adaptor) that's wireless.

mouse.jpg
Filename
mouse.jpg
File size
14.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
mouse2.gif
Filename
mouse2.gif
File size
207.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I prefer to use this mouse in my setup, but the only problem is that I can't get it to work with my KVM switch (yet 😀 ). I am going to try another 8 port KVM I have that will hopefully work.

When I get home I will try to post a pic comparing this mouse with a typical "newer" microsoft optical mouse...I wish they made serial compatible optical mice that were this big (and simple)...that would be my dream mouse. I find that there are gaming mice out there that are fairly large as well but they all have cheezy blue led's and the build quality leaves something to be desired.

Reply 9 of 40, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just ordered a logitech s96 mouse. It's optical but still ps/2. Looks pretty good. I mostly just wanted a white mouse to match the look of the rest of my rig. Optical is a pretty nice bonus though.

http://www.kurpirkti.lt/imagesi/infodb/org_78 … SE-PS-2-OEM.jpg

Reply 11 of 40, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mouse:

I have a Logitech Mouseman Pro serial/PS2 that I have literally used as my primary mouse since 1996-1997... the ONLY mouse that I've ever used since I first bought it back then.

That mouse has the BEST "feel" to it and the most sensitive and easy to push buttons of ANY mouse that I've ever used before. It ALSO is the absolute BEST tracking ball mouse KNOWN TO MAN!

I would kill for an optical serial/PS2 version of that mouse, as none of the new-fangled mice (including the high-end "gaming" mice) "feels" as nice and comfortable to me. Plus, I DETEST mouse wheels, simply prefering a regular 3-button mouse.

13_Logitech_Mouseman1.jpg

Keyboard:

Not necessarily "old school", but the best damned US$10 dollar keyboard that money can buy (that is... *IF* you can still ACTUALLY FIND them!), a BenQ model 6511-M 😀

23-121-112-01.jpg

Mouse Pad:

The best US$4 dollar mouse pad that you buy, an OfficeMax budget mouse pad http://www.reliable.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS22003 . Full sized, and the older styled fabric surface (which is smooth as silk)... PERFECT tracking for your old Logitech Mouseman Pro ball mouse 😀

22003p_01.jpg

Side topic:

Hehe, the FIRST mouse that I ever owned... a Logitech model C7 -> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=26003 … =3&l=7d2257e796 🤣! 😀

407105_2600358045942_915277115_n.jpg

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 13 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

How anyone can call a rubber dome "the best keyboard money can buy", is beyond me 😁

I do have a HP rubber dome keyboard that's really loud and feels quite "clicky"... so there are some OK rubber domes out there. The keyboard itself is even styled somewhat like a Model M with the same curve and very tall keys.
What's beyond me is, how can someone dislike scroll wheels? 😳

Also, was cleaning a Model M today which made me recall another problem with these keyboards: you can't take them apart completely unlike every* other keyboard. Makes proper cleaning (especially inbetween and inside the key barrels) very difficult.

*No, this does not count as a keyboard.

Reply 14 of 40, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Also, was cleaning a Model M today which made me recall another problem with these keyboards: you can't take them apart completely unlike every* other keyboard. Makes proper cleaning (especially inbetween and inside the key barrels) very difficult.

Wha? http://goo.gl/RsccvP

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 40, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

How anyone can call a rubber dome "the best keyboard money can buy", is beyond me 😁

That 6511-M I mentioned previously has the best feel of any keyboard that I've ever used... well, at least to me 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 18 of 40, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a model M fan. I've got about 5 of them, as well as the XT and AT version of model F.

I think my favourite ball mouse is the microsoft intellimouse. The white one with the wheel. Though I always used logitech mouseman(s) because they were much cheaper.

I still haven't found the perfect optical mouse. I haven't found anything simple, comfortable and durable.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 40, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, its not really old school but Ive started using one of these last year and honestly, gotta be my favourite keyboard evar.
dell-keyboard.jpg

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.