VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3D-2000 Pro delivers a rock solid image to the LED monitor. But when I connect a V1 there is heavy image degradation in the form of a distinct horizontal static effect, vertical ghost-like bands that move right to left across the screen, and another layer of pale lines on roughly a 45-degree slant across the screen. This has been a problem through several builds.

The problem goes away as soon as I plug the VGA directly into the 2D card, or install a Voodoo 2.

I have the final V1 3dfx Reference drivers installed [most files 4-29-1999]. Card is well seated. Tried another bypass cable and no change.

Is this just a V1/LED monitor issue, something correctable, or sign of an old graphic card on it's way out the door?

Reply 3 of 18, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The V2 isn't perfect but I hardly notice it by comparison. I have a sentimental attachment for this V1 - it's the original one I bought all those years ago. I keep testing it out hoping it will work as well as I remember it working!

Reply 4 of 18, by BuuBox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I reduced the noise on my Voodoo 1 setup by running a very short cable and making sure other cables were well out of the way. Switching PCI slots and being careful of internal cabling helped too. Some 2D cards seem to have a better quality output in the first place.

Surprisingly, switching to a different AT PSU helped in my case - the older PSU must have been a little 'noisy'. Still isn't perfect though. A CRT masks a variety of sins.

Reply 5 of 18, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have same problems with my pass through cable on voodoo1 to voodoo3

i use a lcd samsung syncmaster 913n and i see always strange oblique lines. often the lines become wider and sometimes become smaller.
I see the lines even while i play the games and it's annoying...

The cable is long 1,5 m and is not shielded and the monitor is set to adapter - optimal refresh in windows

help me!

I can build me a m/f shorter cable but shielded? how many cm long was that of 3dfx?

or i must buy a old monitor CRT?

i have buy this:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/CAVO-VGA-PROLUNGA-1-5- … =item3f0b94d4ad

the cable does not have the cylindrical blocks

Reply 6 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

had the same diagonal lines problem, out of the 3 voodoo2 cards I have one is better at this and you need to really pay attention to notice them... so I just use this as a master card... so the quality between v2 cards varies as well...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 18, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

had the same diagonal lines problem, out of the 3 voodoo2 cards I have one is better at this and you need to really pay attention to notice them... so I just use this as a master card... so the quality between v2 cards varies as well...

I have 2 and neither of them are or objectionable. It's just the V1, it displays the crazy interference patters. These patterns happen on the desktop and 2D apps too, but less so. For now I'll probably keep the V1 installed, but plug directly into the 2D card unless I need the 3dfx..

Reply 10 of 18, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my 2d card is voodoo3 3000 and i need this card for play some games.

i use also v1 (diamond) for old games working only on this card.

i want know if this oblique lines of interference are problems of my monitor because is a lcd, the cable because is long 1,5 m and is not unshielded or my v3 card

I would like to try with a new good short cable with this crt that i want buy:

http://www.subito.it/informatica/monitor-19-l … mo-86890645.htm

Reply 11 of 18, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@dario: If you get the interference only when you have the V1 hooked up, then that's the problem I've been having - and others as well from the sound of it. If you are also getting the same degree of interference from the V3 then I don't have an answer, except I think the normal VGA cable you plug into the monitor is usually shielded, and has always worked well for me..

Reply 12 of 18, by Mr. Bluntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Figured I would drop my two cents since I have dealt with this issue extensively. Back in '97 I had a Diamond Monster 3D that used to do the exact same thing as the OP's card - display a noisy, slightly distorted image. Fast forward 17 years and lo-and-behold, a Canopus Pure3D I snag off eBay does the exact same thing. Noisy image output, most noticeable as a "squiggly" image as described in the OP. It doesn't matter if it's on a CRT or LCD, I have seen this issue on both display technologies - it's a matter of how tolerant the monitor's electronics are to a noisy signal.

The only solution is to either A. buy a new card and hope it displays a crisp image B. find a CRT monitor that may display the exact same issue or C. deal with it.

Considering I can buy a Voodoo 5 AGP for the same price as the Canopus board, I think I'll try C. since nobody in Michigan seems to want or have CRTs anymore

*αlpha*
Core i5 3570 - 4GB DDR3-1600 - Z77SL50K - GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2TB HDD - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
*βeta*
Opteron 180 - 2GB DDR-400 - 2x GeForce 7800 GTX 256 - DFI NF4 SLI - 250GB HDD - Windows Vista

Reply 13 of 18, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's sort of a relief to hear that this is an endemic problem, not just mine. My solution is "deal with it". The V1 is parked in a P-233/S3 era rig as a living monument to the first age a 3D. But I also have a P3-966/V2-SLI and a V5 system to fall back on for real Glide gaming.

I did manage to improve image quality by hand selecting the LCD refresh rate rather than relying on 'default' or 'optimum', and installing Diamond's 'InControl Tools' for the 2D card [3D-2000 Turbo] to adjust screen resolution and color-depth seems to have stabilized the image a bit too.

So right now IQ is not too too distracting, and worth keeping as a testament to the early days..

Reply 14 of 18, by cobracon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr. Bluntman wrote:

Considering I can buy a Voodoo 5 AGP for the same price as the Canopus board, I think I'll try C. since nobody in Michigan seems to want or have CRTs anymore

I live in Michigan as well. Most goodwills in my area have crts. Also try the mission stores.

Reply 15 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP card into DVI and Voodoo into VGA. Switch between DVI and VGA when needed 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 18, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to contribute this:
I recently bought a Voodoo1 card (generic 3dfx) and hooked it up to my 24 inch LG LCD panel (that still has a DSUB port). After playing with some 3dfx demos, I immediately noticed that there were dark vertical streaks running along the monitor.
What "fixed" it for me (or at least got rid of the issue to the extent that it's no longer noticeable) was to adjust the monitor's "Clock" setting (through its "Display" menu) from the default 50 to 51. The "Pulse" setting also seems to have an effect on those vertical lines.

Hope this helps someone.

Br

Reply 18 of 18, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eeJay wrote:
Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to contribute this: I recently bought a Voodoo1 card (generic 3 […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to contribute this:
I recently bought a Voodoo1 card (generic 3dfx) and hooked it up to my 24 inch LG LCD panel (that still has a DSUB port). After playing with some 3dfx demos, I immediately noticed that there were dark vertical streaks running along the monitor.
What "fixed" it for me (or at least got rid of the issue to the extent that it's no longer noticeable) was to adjust the monitor's "Clock" setting (through its "Display" menu) from the default 50 to 51. The "Pulse" setting also seems to have an effect on those vertical lines.

Hope this helps someone.

Br

Cool. Next time I fiddle with the V1 rig I take a look at this setting...