Reply 20 of 60, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Oh didn't realise the Willamate are so bad 😊

Northwood then! The 1.6A has 40W,

Yeah, I never understood why people complained about P3/Athlon being "hot" chips - Willamette uses much more power in most cases. The Northwood was an improvement, but P4 is still relatively power hungry (no worse than anything modern, but by 2001 standards it was pretty demanding).

The 1.6A would be AOK if you wanted lower power/heat, but I'm not sure it'd be faster than the 1.2-1.4GHz P3/Athlon chips of the day. I know there's an Anand article out there showing the 1.4 Athlon being pretty evenly matched to the 2.0 Willamette for example. Just food for thought more anything else - the Northwood/478 platform still has the advantages of newer hardware support over S370 (your list of reasons for the case-for-478 being excellent; I wasn't meaning to diminish that, just to point out that P4s, especially early P4s, have much higher power/cooling requirements than past generation hardware).

but most P4 S478 boards are built and designed for up to 100W, right? That's what I meant.

Probably something around 100W yeah - most of the P4 chips run in the 70-90W range iirc, with a few of the very late models pushing on the 100W mark (like the 3.4 HT and EE models). 😵 There should be quite a few options for high-capacity coolers for 478 as well, given that it lasted for a few years and was fairly popular; I don't think heat should be a serious concern unless you're intending to heavily overclock the system and use an appropriate sink for the CPU you pick. The Intel in-the-box coolers, at least the later ones with copper cores, tend to do a very good job in their own right, and shouldn't be too expensive or hard to find. There are, of course, more elaborate solutions that will provide more overhead for overclocking/tweaking.

Reply 21 of 60, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, P4 is looking better then. I'm not planning on doing any DOS gaming on it just win 9x. I already have an Athlon Voodoo setup so i'm strictly going Geforce 4 and audiology 2. just trying to make it the other side from my Athalon/voodoo/vortex2 rig.

thanks for all the helpful input guys.

Reply 22 of 60, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Building a P4 rig is wandering out of vintage territory.

Theoretically, you can get an i945 board and put a single core 775 celeron in it that will not perform as well as the fastest P4 Northwood on an i845, but you'd be getting the benefits of ICH7, DDR2 (the slowest DDR2, PC2-3200, is on par with DDR400), etc... But a lot of the newer i945 boards also support 65nm Core2 CPUs, so all you would have to do is change the processor to make it a relatively modern system.

Therefore, this endeavour would beg the question of what would you would be hoping to accomplish with such a system? Go higher than nForce3/i845 and you've crossed the fine line.

Reply 23 of 60, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:
leileilol wrote:

But what about a single Voodoo2 in a P4? Will that risk a fry without additional cooling?

Fry what? 😕

Fry the Voodoo2. Voodoo2's run hot with really fast CPU's feeding them. It's that pesky scaling thing that some people deny exists.

Reply 24 of 60, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

Theoretically, you can get an i945 board and put a single core 775 celeron in it that will not perform as well as the fastest P4 Northwood on an i845, but you'd be getting the benefits of ICH7, DDR2 (the slowest DDR2, PC2-3200, is on par with DDR400), etc... But a lot of the newer i945 boards also support 65nm Core2 CPUs, so all you would have to do is change the processor to make it a relatively modern system.

Therefore, this endeavour would beg the question of what would you would be hoping to accomplish with such a system? Go higher than nForce3/i845 and you've crossed the fine line.

I've even seen a G41 (popular low end chipset until 2010 more or less, I have one running a 45nm C2Q) board with socket 478 from foxconn, also using ICH7, and theoretically you could even use dual channel DDR3 with the northwood 478 CPU, but as a "retro" system it's definitely "wrong".

If I was building a cool 478 PC I would feel tempted to look for a board with RDRAM, it's probably cheap enough these days, I think.

sliderider wrote:
obobskivich wrote:
leileilol wrote:

But what about a single Voodoo2 in a P4? Will that risk a fry without additional cooling?

Fry what? 😕

Fry the Voodoo2. Voodoo2's run hot with really fast CPU's feeding them. It's that pesky scaling thing that some people deny exists.

my voodoo 2 can overheat and freeze even with my PII 400 running quake II.

Reply 26 of 60, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mockingbird wrote:

My Voodoo 2 document will cover many platforms. The P4 is the top platform to look at just how much Voodoo 2 cards can scale. I mentioned this earlier, but it keeps scaling up to 3.2 GHz 😀

Also the P4 platform is the next big thing in retro gaming. Just give it a few years. Now parts are cheap and easy to get. Get in now before prices go up. Soon people want to build vintage systems for Farcry and Half Life 2.

Every generation has its vintage period 😀

smeezekitty wrote:

Have you tried heatsinking the voodoo 2? Pretty bad design that a CPU too fast can cause a problem like that

No I place a fan on top of both cards. Haven't had any issues.

I would like to look into how clock speed affect temperatures because this could be of interest to many.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 60, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

I do sort of agree. P4 is debatably on the edge of what's retro. But the topic is really less p4 and more about running win 9x on a high end system for the os that still somewhat makes sence. I'm guessing more then a few people still ran 98 in 2000-2001 and some of the late win 98 games can be demanding.

Reply 29 of 60, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I think the Athlon 64 will prove to be a much better retro machine than the P4 in the coming years. We'll see I guess 😜

This. IMO the only time buying a P4 made any sense was during the first few months of 2003--when the Athlon XP was finally starting to run out of steam and A64 wasn't quite ready. I will admit that I'm a little biased; I was burned by the horrible combination of Willamette and PC133. I've been pissed off ever since. 🤣

Still, the Athlon 64 is a completely different class of machine. It's cool, fast, modern (64-bit, has an IMC). If you put a fast AGP card like the x1950Pro in a S478 board, the platform will just feel like a bottleneck. An nForce3 based platform on the other hand will allow the card to open up.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 30 of 60, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I think the Athlon 64 will prove to be a much better retro machine than the P4 in the coming years. We'll see I guess 😜

Could be! I admit I haven't looked at A64 stuff yet. The chipset situation is what turns me off a bit. With Intel everything always "just works". And I really like that. Working with old computers is frustrating enough as it is 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 60, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two a64 win 98 rigs (hence, why I want to play with a p4) and I havnt had many issues besides the sound cards. My monster mx300 was initially causing some issues with my via motherboard but its pretty stable now.

Reply 32 of 60, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I think "hot" would have to be defined better/more accurately - just because it is hot to the touch doesn't mean a lot; what temps are actually happening on the cores, and what is/are their limits? Airflow is also another concern - a lot of old machines (like Pentium 1-2) tend to have pretty meagre cooling (if at all); a proper P4 build should have at least one solid case fan (plus the PSU) if not multiples, and it shouldn't be too hard to have (as Mau1wurf1977 suggests) a fan that blows fairly directly over the Voodoo2 (more broadly the expansion card region - remember that around 2003 began the "runaway train" period of graphics card power/cooling requirements).

As far as "what is retro" - seems more like a personal question than anything truly technical. Nothing I'm worried about though.

As far as A64 being "so much better" than Pentium 4 - not really. I'm not trying to goad a fanboy argument, but you have to remember that Pentium 4 of the same era did support 64-bit, and that the IMC and 64-bit support was just as much about marketing on AMD's part as it was about actual improvement (the first generations of Core 2 did not feature an IMC, and are faster clock-for-clock than anything AMD could offer at the time; for example).

Here are some benchmarks comparing Pentium 4 to Athlon64:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2003/09/23/ath … _vs_pentium_4/5
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/roundupmobo/pen … 4-32ghz-ee.html

In general they look pretty competitive me. In terms of gaming, the biggest bottleneck you will run into is the graphics adapter; there will be no more "opening up" (what does this even technically mean?) of an X1950 or GeForce 7 with an Athlon64 anymore than there will be with a comparable Pentium 4.

And tests showing a Core 2 versus an Athlon64:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-64 … wer,2259-6.html

As far as "much lower power consumption and heat" (it seems like the stereotype of Prescott "being hotter than hades itself" has grown into almost mythical proportions over the years - they really weren't/aren't much different than any modern CPU in terms of overall power draw and cooling requirements with a few exceptions (like the Prescott dual-cores), but AMD also had similar exceptions (like the FX and QuadFX platforms)), most of the Athlon64 family fit into the same 70-90W TDP range as the Pentium 4 chips of the era, and the high-spec FX models tended to go over 100W (later AM2 and AM3 series chips did improve efficiency, but those are much newer than the Pentium 4).

As far as "what is better" - personal preference and availability are big factors here. The kinds of applications being run also need to be discussed; for example early Pentium 4 and AthlonXP chips tend to be well matched, but if SSE2 or 3 is a requirement, the AthlonXP is out of the running. Later Pentium 4 and Athlon64 chips tend to be well matched overall, but availability is less consistent (P4 equipment is much more plentiful IME). As far as going with a very new (9xx series chipset) and a P4, keep an eye on backwards driver support - remember that "they" started moving away from Win9x during that era, and it is possible to assemble a system that doesn't have graphics, motherboard, audio, etc drivers for Win9x as a result. If that's a concern (XP or Vista should be no problem for such a machine though).

Reply 33 of 60, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
As far as A64 being "so much better" than Pentium 4 - not really. I'm not trying to goad a fanboy argument, but you have to reme […]
Show full quote

As far as A64 being "so much better" than Pentium 4 - not really. I'm not trying to goad a fanboy argument, but you have to remember that Pentium 4 of the same era did support 64-bit, and that the IMC and 64-bit support was just as much about marketing on AMD's part as it was about actual improvement (the first generations of Core 2 did not feature an IMC, and are faster clock-for-clock than anything AMD could offer at the time; for example).

Here are some benchmarks comparing Pentium 4 to Athlon64:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2003/09/23/ath … _vs_pentium_4/5
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/roundupmobo/pen … 4-32ghz-ee.html

In general they look pretty competitive me. In terms of gaming, the biggest bottleneck you will run into is the graphics adapter; there will be no more "opening up" (what does this even technically mean?) of an X1950 or GeForce 7 with an Athlon64 anymore than there will be with a comparable Pentium 4.

Here's how a PXE-840 with a 6800 Ultra performs (notice how well the 4000+ does):
http://techreport.com/review/8285/intel-penti … 840-processor/6

My nForce3/AGP system is usually powered by an A64 3700+ overclocked to 3GHz. When it comes down to gaming performance, it completely outclasses my finest Netburst gear (currently a P4 520 @ 3.73 on a NF4 IE board). But then again, so does my Pentium M @ 2.66GHz. It just takes more than a 9800 Pro to show the difference between architectures.

And tests showing a Core 2 versus an Athlon64:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-64 … wer,2259-6.html

No doubt, Core 2 was an excellent processor. The day it launched was the day I turned in my AMD fanboy card. Alhough, with some overclocking, even a socket 939 dual-core can come quite close to entry level Core 2 performance. I used an Opteron 185 based desktop for a long time. At 3GHz and with fast, low latency memory, it typically benched a little higher than a E6400.

As far as "much lower power consumption and heat" (it seems like the stereotype of Prescott "being hotter than hades itself" has grown into almost mythical proportions over the years - they really weren't/aren't much different than any modern CPU in terms of overall power draw and cooling requirements with a few exceptions (like the Prescott dual-cores), but AMD also had similar exceptions (like the FX and QuadFX platforms)), most of the Athlon64 family fit into the same 70-90W TDP range as the Pentium 4 chips of the era, and the high-spec FX models tended to go over 100W (later AM2 and AM3 series chips did improve efficiency, but those are much newer than the Pentium 4).

I wrote that they were "cool, fast and modern" because they often ran at 45-50C at load with the supplied heatsink/fan. The standard HSF even allowed for decent overclocking.

Though I was an AMD fan back then, I certainly am not one anymore. I just never was impressed with Netburst. Willamette was a huge letdown; Duron could sometimes outperform it. Prescott managed to be a little slower than Northwood-C at the same frequency. And Pentium D is a fine example of what happens when a CPU company decides to "half-ass" it. Intel was putting far better processors into notebooks at the time. Dothan and Yonah were even faster than A64 and A64-X2, clock-for-clock.

To their credit, Netburst is the only IA Dud I can think of. AMD's had far more.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 34 of 60, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom 3, FEAR and Farcry are games that bring a Core 2 Duo with a 7800GT to its limits. Once you are on XP I see no point in going with old hardware. Go with a Core 2 or Athlon II / Phenom II.

This thread isn't about sheer performance but about the suitability for a W98SE platform and benefits / downsides of each.

I find that the P4 platform has many benefits in regards to easy of use or whatever you want to call it. The fact that several users here have snapped the cooling mounting finger off S370 boards is just one little detail/annoyance.

I looked quite a bit on eBay and the sheer range and availability of P4 gear is amazing. A64 is much rarer and often sells for a nice premium. Especially decent motherboards with all the features. There is also little OEM gear which is perfectly fine for most uses.

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 60, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't just look at the benchmarks. An Athlon 64 machine will feel that much snappier, because it doesn't have the long pipeline that the Prescott has.
I may be a bit harsh to the Pentium 4s, but that's just because I think this was one of the worst eras to buy a new PC (I'm not giving the Athlon XPs any leniency either). I just think they all feel underpowered. Honestly though, I think a socket 478 Prescott at 3.0-3.4GHz with an i865 chipset is a good deal and I believe the 3.0GHz part was a bit popular.

Anything later than that though and I can't help but joke with Intel's attempts until the mighty Core 2 Duo. Early socket 775 was a joke and don't even get me started on Pentium D. The 64 X2 kicked their asses. Of course, the 64 X2 is redundant, as Intel released the Core 2 Duo and the rest is pretty much history. It made Intel a performance leader practically overnight.

Reply 37 of 60, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Here's how a PXE-840 with a 6800 Ultra performs (notice how well the 4000+ does):
http://techreport.com/review/8285/intel-penti … 840-processor/6

My nForce3/AGP system is usually powered by an A64 3700+ overclocked to 3GHz. When it comes down to gaming performance, it completely outclasses my finest Netburst gear (currently a P4 520 @ 3.73 on a NF4 IE board). But then again, so does my Pentium M @ 2.66GHz. It just takes more than a 9800 Pro to show the difference between architectures.

Sure, it's measurably faster in some games under test conditions, however none of that really matters (in that, with the exception of UT2004 (which I don't quite get what they're doing to achieve such bad performance (my AthlonXP handled that game with no problems; they're showing a Pentium D 840 having trouble...)) they're all putting up such outrageous numbers as to be equivalent, and once you bring the resolution up to more normal levels you'll see those differences mostly evaporate as the GPU becomes the limiting factor).

My point wasn't to start an Intel vs AMD argument or argue that Intel is better or worse - but instead to say that comparable era Netburst chips are generally comparable (and for demanding games of the era you'll end up being GPU limited more than anything else), and as used hardware have the general advantage of being more plentiful (and often cheaper (which unfortunately has to be considered - and I get it, years ago the AMD chips held this position: those XEs cost around $1000/ea when new, but now you can usually find them for $10 or less, while the older AMD stuff tends to command pretty serious premiums (in some cases pretty close to new retail)).

I wrote that they were "cool, fast and modern" because they often ran at 45-50C at load with the supplied heatsink/fan. The standard HSF even allowed for decent overclocking.

Ambient temperatures, case temperature, etc are very much needed when comparing temps. My 2.0GHz Willamette runs in that range with the Intel HSF; my overclocked Celeron D never broke 60* C (2.13GHz -> 3.33GHz on that one). Average ambient is around 18* C and case temps around there or low 20s for those conditions. TDP isn't much different between the two series; until you start talking about the very highest spec Netbursts (the dual-cores especially 🤣). I know, Netburst has a reputation for being "super hot" - when it was brand new it was deserved; compared to a Pentium 3 it was a big increase in TDP. But compared to Athlon64 (And a few of the later XPs even), and modern chips, it's really not a stand-out (again, excepting the dual-cores; some of those are pushing on 150W TDP!).

I was an AMD fan back then, I certainly am not one anymore. I just never was impressed with Netburst. Willamette was a huge letdown; Duron could sometimes outperform it. Prescott managed to be a little slower than Northwood-C at the same frequency. And Pentium D is a fine example of what happens when a CPU company decides to "half-ass" it. Intel was putting far better processors into notebooks at the time. Dothan and Yonah were even faster than A64 and A64-X2, clock-for-clock.

To their credit, Netburst is the only IA Dud I can think of. AMD's had far more.

I'd agree with this more or less (and you aren't wrong about Prescott being worse clock-for-clock; it was just yet another step in Intel's quest for 20GHz chips...) - I like my Willamette system primarily because it has been very reliable for more than a decade, but would agree that Netburst quickly got out of hand in terms of price/performance in its day (it's worth remembering that even though Pentium 4 and Pentium D chips are almost worthless these days, most of the higher-spec chips (like those XEs) were very expensive when new, compared to very affordable AMD chips) and was probably the first CPU series to really run-away in terms of power consumption and heat dissipation (of course AMD obliterated that record with the QuadFX). AMD offered a much more economical solution that provided very good performance. However that isn't to say the Pentium 4 chips are "bad" - especially given their dime-a-dozen status these days.

Also (and this is totally off-topic): I'd say IA-64 was a dud too, and a much bigger one than Netburst. 🤣

F2bnp wrote:

Don't just look at the benchmarks. An Athlon 64 machine will feel that much snappier, because it doesn't have the long pipeline that the Prescott has.

Really? "It feels better"? What next, how the machine aligns with the balance of the universe? 😲

Dismissing measured performance data to talk about "feelings" seems kind of silly to me - you end up having to quantify "feel snappier" and how you define what you "feel" and your response to that "feeling" - how is this condition observed, measured, repeated, etc. Do we have to assume that your feelings equal my feelings? What is being defined as "snappy" or "snappier" etc. It's just a massive can of worms that isn't worth opening.

You can benchmark things like application start-up times, system boot-up times, measured throughput, etc and produce a realistic picture of how the machine will perform. But it has to be remembered that many of those things are heavily influenced by non-CPU factors, like the memory subsystem, the hard-drive, the operating system and whatever optimizations have been made there, and so on. Even a Pentium MMX system can be made relatively responsive, depending on what software is (or isn't) loaded onto it - it's entirely possible to turn an Athlon64 into a dog by loading it up with tons of multimedia bloatware and trying to make it "modern" - but if you keep it relatively correct for the period, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

soviet conscript wrote:

are there even any Win 98 games that utilize SSE2 or 3?

Not that I'm aware of. There are some early-ish DX9 games that seem to benefit quite a bit from the SSE2/3 on Pentium 4 or Athlon64 over an AthlonXP, like Hitman 4 for example. But I don't think those games tend to be supported under Windows 98; worth keeping in mind if a dual-boot 9x/XP system is up for consideration though. For Windows 98 and games from that era, this entire discussion in moot - even top Pentium 3 chips tend to be such overkill, let alone a high-spec Pentium 4, Athlon64, etc. I mean we're talking about games like Quake 3, SimCity 3000, and Red Alert 2. 🤣

Something else worth noting since they've come up in discussion - dual-core CPUs are not good bedmates for Win9x; it doesn't support SMP.

Reply 38 of 60, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Talk about selective reading... My guess is you totally missed the pipeline comment? Let me explain it a bit further, just in case you feel like mocking me again.

The Prescott is quite different to the Northwood. It has a 31 stage pipeline, as opposed to the Northwood's 20 stage. Clock for clock, it is slower than a Northwood. The cache can alleviate some of that, as will SSE3 when used. The longer pipeline helps ramp up the clock, which is why Intel did it. Unfortunately, they managed to get it up to 3.8 GHz before giving up on the architecture.

The Athlon 64 has a 12 stage pipeline I believe. Hence the far lower clocks. And it is also why it will feel mostly snappier than a Pentium 4 machine, unless we're comparing say a 1.8GHz Athlon 64 to a 3.8GHz Prescott.
As you say, RAM, HDD and OS settings will always play a significant role in this, but I was assuming that these were to be identical between systems. We are, after all, comparing CPUs.

Reply 39 of 60, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Talk about selective reading... My guess is you totally missed the pipeline comment? Let me explain it a bit further, just in case you feel like mocking me again.

Was not at all trying to mock or goad you - simply stating that subjective opinions are not very helpful, especially when they don't have any sort of clearly defined conditions/criteria to establish how the comparison is being made. They're inherently rooted in your personal perception, attitude, beliefs, etc and individual experience - that doesn't translate perfectly to another user in another situation.

The Prescott is quite different to the Northwood. It has a 31 stage pipeline, as opposed to the Northwood's 20 stage. Clock for clock, it is slower than a Northwood. The cache can alleviate some of that, as will SSE3 when used. The longer pipeline helps ramp up the clock, which is why Intel did it. Unfortunately, they managed to get it up to 3.8 GHz before giving up on the architecture.

The Athlon 64 has a 12 stage pipeline I believe. Hence the far lower clocks. And it is also why it will feel mostly snappier than a Pentium 4 machine, unless we're comparing say a 1.8GHz Athlon 64 to a 3.8GHz Prescott.
As you say, RAM, HDD and OS settings will always play a significant role in this, but I was assuming that these were to be identical between systems. We are, after all, comparing CPUs.

Yes, I know it has a longer integer pipeline, and has other architectural differences to Athlon64 as well - none of that minutia matters in practice unless you're developing code and optimizing it for that specific chip; look at real-world performance benchmarks to draw conclusions about performance/capabilities (IOW it doesn't matter if there's a CPU in there, or a magical gnome doing calculations - all we care about is the end result). What's under the hood is abstracted away through software, and can (for the most part should) be treated as a black box as an end user. If you have some application benchmark that shows things starting faster, responding faster, etc (all of these things that can actually be measured and duplicated) that's one thing, but providing a subjective opinion doesn't tell us anything useful. Especially when talking about something like say, application start-up time (I can only assume this is something related to your measurement of "snappy") that is influenced by a number of variables (disk speed, disk controller, memory, memory controller, other hardware related to the application, operating system, etc).

My point is, a variable like "snappy" is hard to measure, characterize, repeat, define, etc and measuring it by "feel" doesn't tell us any significant even if "snappy" were something formally defined. Essentially it creates this double-standard based on subjective qualifications where you can say "no but it doesn't count because it feels wrong" despite not being a data-based observation. That doesn't strike me as inherently useful or contributive to a comparative discussion.

Last edited by obobskivich on 2014-04-07, 11:54. Edited 1 time in total.