VOGONS

First post, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi ! I have a bunch of hardware and I am not sure of what to put together to make a good gaming station for games 1990-2000.

All i have to present you are pictures in an imgur album I just made.

http://imgur.com/a/hNVLg

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Synoptic wrote:

Hi ! I have a bunch of hardware and I am not sure of what to put together to make a good gaming station for games 1990-2000.

The range of 1990-2000 is hopelessly broad. Decide what specific games you want to play and choose accordingly.

If you want to play Everything, then start with whatever game you want to play first.

Reply 3 of 6, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, GPU speaking : the hardest game I would play on that rig would be something like FlightSim 2004 eventhough it's past the 2000 year limit.
Other examples are : NFS High stakes, NFS Porsche 2000.

Early games would be something like Test Drive III, F-117/A Stealth Fighter, a bunch of Sierra's Quest (I have all the Space Quest), some LucasArts games, Nascar Racing and Indycar Racing. Dune 2000, Warc Craft 2, Duke Nukem.

A good midi/whatever sound card for these games is very important to me.

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can never have a computer that manages to run TD3 at the correct speed (not even with slowdown programs) and can run Porsche Unleashed, though I can clearly see the motive to have a system that runs a particular lineage of NFS games...

However there's some who swear by disabling the cache on some certain OEM Pentium III-based systems like Dell Optiplex, to achieve 'wing commander playability' - but that requires BIOS tweaking then rebooting.

Finally, did you know there's a 3DO Blaster card? Not that i've experienced it or used one, but in theory the very first NFS can be a part of that. 😀

Last edited by leileilol on 2014-04-14, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disabling both caches will give you a slow 386 or something on a Slot 1 system. But obviously for some later speed sensitive games this won't cut it.

For a complete sound setup you would need an ISA Sound Blaster or good clone, a GM synth (e.g. Roland Sound Canvas) and a LA synth (e.g. MT-32/CM-32L). That GUS you have could take the GM part if you are happy enough with how it sounds, though.

Reply 6 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As others have said, this should really be at least two systems - one to handle the older early 90s titles and run DOS/9x, and another to handle the later 2000s-early-Naughties titles (like FS04) and run XP (in theory you could also run 98SE, Me, 2000, etc but XP would be the easiest choice imho).